Hot Rod Forum banner

Helpful tip

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
I find myself wanting to make patch panels with radius corners .
Years ago I was working with a hvac sheet metal worker. He was quite amazing doing layout with a straight edge, a ruler, and a divider.

He showed me a simple way to layout any size radius correctly the first time every time.

I will try and explain the method:

1: layout your cut lines with 90 degree corners.
2: set your dividers at the desired radius.
3: Place one point of the divider on the corner then using the other end of the divider mark where it rests on each of the 2 sides of the corner
( starting point and point 1 and point 2 )
4. Place one end of the divider at point 1 and layout an arc to the inside of the corner , then do the same at point 2.
( arc and arc 2)
5: Place one end of the divider at the cross over of arcs 1 & 2, then mark and arc from point 1 to point 2.

ONLY set the divider width once. It stays in that position through out the procedure.
It sounds complicated but the most time spent will be getting the divider and rule out of the tool box.
Actual time to establish the desired arc is under 1 minute.

A great thing about this method is it works quite well on crowned or uneven surfaces, whether making an arc or a full circle.

Now that you are armed with this new knowledge you will no longer need to wander around the shop trying to find a roll of tape or a can lid to make an arc with.

See less See more
#4 ·
Great tip! This is one of those things you learned from someone who was a professional at the craft. You work with them for a day and learn two things.

1. You learn a LOT of stuff, one thing after another.
2. You learn that you know NOTHING about the subject. You know what I mean? If you can learn SO MUCH in a day, you obviously know NOTHING.:thumbup:

What a gift it is to work with someone such as you did, what a gift.

Thanks for passing this one on, I am printing it out and will hang it on my garage wall so I don't forget it.:drunk:

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.