Helping a friend with an intermittent no start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 AM
WHO WHAT ME WAIT I DON'T KNOW.

Last journal entry: Door skins removed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Helping a friend with an intermittent no start

Helping a friend with an intermittent no start no spark has fuel? 1989 Chevy P/U 350. He already put in a new distributor module, cap rotor plug wires, coil, ecm. Would anyone have a wiring diagram for this trucks ecm or distributor. Thank you for your time...JOHN

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

This engine ever been rebuilt? Have all the grounds been gone over and tighten down? It could be that simple. Run a new ground jumper from the battery (-) terminal to the engine using multi-strand 12 gauge wire and see if it cranks over first time.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1
This engine ever been rebuilt? Have all the grounds been gone over and tighten down? It could be that simple. Run a new ground jumper from the battery (-) terminal to the engine using multi-strand 12 gauge wire and see if it cranks over first time.
No original eng no rebuild. Had him ck and clean all grounds he could find.. body and eng. Thatís the reason I need a wiring diagram to see if there's more under the dash or hiding somewhere
Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

Is there an injector pulse?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethn_bert
Is there an injector pulse?
frome what he tells me yes...
Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

No spark, but injector pulse means faulty coil or related wiring; power feed wire or coil(-). There won't be injector pulse if there was a bad ignition module(most cases). You could have a weak pickup coil.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
No spark, but injector pulse means faulty coil or related wiring; power feed wire or coil(-). There won't be injector pulse if there was a bad ignition module(most cases). You could have a weak pickup coil.
power feed wire. would you know if thers a relay that would feed the coil under the dash ?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

No relay. The ignition coil is fed power(pink wire) directly from the ignition switch. During cranking(until 400rpm) the ECM doesn't apply the 5volts on the bypass circuit and the base timing curce in the module controls the spark operation. If there is no spark from the coil, but there is an injector pulse then Therefore, the ecm is recieving the crank/timing signal on the high reference line and is pulsing/working correctly. So, it has to be a wiring issue, faulty coil, or pickup coil dropping in and out(their would be random spark and injector pulse). Don't forget you secondary ignition system! That is why it is very important that you are sure that the injectors are pulsing. Also, for future reference, that ignition system will/should spark without an ECM connected(until about 400 rpm) and therefore an ECM is highly unlikely to cause a no start with no spark issue. I said highly unlikely because obviously internal shorts on the bypass and reference cicuits inside the ecm will cause a no start.
Good Luck.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
No relay. The ignition coil is fed power(pink wire) directly from the ignition switch. During cranking(until 400rpm) the ECM doesn't apply the 5volts on the bypass circuit and the base timing curce in the module controls the spark operation. If there is no spark from the coil, but there is an injector pulse then Therefore, the ecm is recieving the crank/timing signal on the high reference line and is pulsing/working correctly. So, it has to be a wiring issue, faulty coil, or pickup coil dropping in and out(their would be random spark and injector pulse). Don't forget you secondary ignition system! That is why it is very important that you are sure that the injectors are pulsing. Also, for future reference, that ignition system will/should spark without an ECM connected(until about 400 rpm) and therefore an ECM is highly unlikely to cause a no start with no spark issue. I said highly unlikely because obviously internal shorts on the bypass and reference cicuits inside the ecm will cause a no start.
Good Luck.
Sounds good i'll pass on the info thank you...

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.