hemi? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 08:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

hemi?

Hi,anyone dropped a 392 or 426 hemi into an Anglia or Thames?I know the heads dont clear the hood sides but i.ve been told the whole body has to be chopped by the bulkhead,bit too severe for where I'm going.Hemi would be nice though.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2007, 10:04 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have a 48 thames that I am putting a blown 468 BBC in,, very tight fit.. so I would think a hemi would have clearance problems with the valve covers, and heads at the fenders,
What kind of front suspension do you paln on using? mine has a 4" dropped tube with cross steer/ saganaw box, I had to change all that over to a Chris Alston Independant / coil over for clearance and exaust,,
A hemi would definately be impressive,,
Are you building this for the strip or street?? Good luck, Bill
EDIT
Know anyone over there that might have a set of sedan doors? I want to change mine out to the 10 " wider sedan doors,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3018.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	21469   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3002.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	21470  
Old 05-28-2007, 10:47 AM

Hemi?

Thanks for the reply Bill.Is that your 34 and a Fordson?You gone styling.I.ve seen that 34 somewhere,was it on you tube?Love the "cartoon" look.At the moment the plan for my fordson is nostalgia drag only.Not expecting to be the quickest car on the block,just the most retro!You won't beleive this but I.ve actually got a pair of coupe doors,is that the one.s you mean or off a Ford Prefect?Mine have rusted out at the bottoms;you do see them up for sale now and then though.God knows how to get them stateside,sounds a mission.How come your doing the door thing though,I've seen a nice one done over here but it takes away the prportions of the van(in my humble opinion).Hey,keep us posted on your van.You look like your making good progress.How long you been on it.did you do a new chassis,or box up the original?A friend of mine has got a 390 Ford for sale,and I have been getting it in the earhole to drop in a racer rat.Hemi just says nostalgia!!Good luck nick.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:39 PM

If you haven't bought the motor yet, how about new gen hemi 6.1 or 5.7 They can be had fairly cheap and can make big power too, especially with heads, cam and a stroker bottom end kit.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

There is a video on u-tube of the 33, heres the link , there is 3 videos, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijg2VXB25Lw

is the 48 Anglia Thames the same as the fordson, I thought the fordson was a later model,,??????

The reason I want the larger 48 anglia doors is for easier access,, just have to move the latch post back 10 " a bit of work but doable,,,
The Chassis on mine is a early TCI, Its a really nice chassis,, I am just adding the Alston independent coil over front end and changing out the 57 olds R/E with a winters Quick change,, coilover 4 link, with a set of baer discs brakes,,, I have all this stuff from another car I was building and sold,, don't know exactly what I will do right at the moment,, seems the thing now is staying nostalgia, it's right there now,, just got the motor back from the machine shop,, getting anxious,, Later Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2991.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	21484   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2994.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	21485   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2997.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	21486   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2998.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	21487  
Old 05-31-2007, 02:52 PM

badrat

Yeh,got it Bill,that is a fine 34,is she steel?What,s cooking in the motor?I can see your van in the background.Your Thames is getting all the right stuff,Its looking to be an awesome piece!I.m still at the dreamy stage.I like the way you talk of the door job like its no big deal,to me it looks weeks of work.I.m no expert but as I understand it the Ford Popular van,Thames van,or Fordson all cross over the same years but you get slight differences due to export models and year.I thought Fordson or Thames were different models but in the same years,does that make sense?Have to check that out.Keep pluggin'. Where you going colour wise,any ideas?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:09 PM

hemi

Hi formerrice,thanks for your message,yes,those crate hemi.s did catch my eye,not too sure I,d call them fairly cheap.The problem is how much butchering to put one in an Anglia body,(Ford Pop to us).Its a narrow car and that is some fat engine!Hey got any pictures of your Aero?Thats an unusual year.Also,the racer guys are laying on how much faster a Chev would be.I believe it,but i was weaned during the gasser years and Hemi was king.I tilt my head as i mention Hemi as a mark of respect!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamesvan
Yeh,got it Bill,that is a fine 34,is she steel?What,s cooking in the motor?I can see your van in the background.Your Thames is getting all the right stuff, Where you going colour wise,any ideas?
Right now I am in the DELIMA stage,, that being,,,, I am tossing the idea around on whether to just finish up the Anglia the way it was started [back in the 70's [nostalgia/ gasser] or go ahead with my origional plan to change it over to the Independent and Q/Change that I have already bought . but would involve alot more work,,
For color I think it will just be Blitz black for now,, I am tired of the glitter and billit, I plan on driving this one and raising some hell with it,, I havn;t had a ticket or been in the pokie in 35 years,, but probably wiil pile up a few a few with this thing The 33 coupe is a fiberglass Rat's glass body,, piss poor quality too,, I might add, bill
Old 06-02-2007, 07:41 AM

badrat

Hi Bill,take your word about the 33 body,but it sure comes across as a bad *** hotrod.Never heard of Oregon Wetlands?Are there hotrods there or are you a one man crusade?Any stories of your van as you bought it,or pictures.Where did you find it?I love the shape of these vans which hasn.t help me tear it down,maybe gasser style is too radical for major street driving,they,ve got terrible visibility.Not much help,but I think both styles suit the van,gasser or ground scraper.I want to go gasser because I'm old school and the tyres sticking out look is where it began for me,but at the moment i.m driving it stock,that's weird.Maybe we need 2 of them each.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

LOL Oregon wetlands is just a term I used, because we have has ALOT [ more than usual] of rain here this past year,, and most people from calif thinks it rains 24/7 365, here , so I would like them to continue thinking that actually i live in the northern part, right on the state line with Washington state, beautiful country,,
Thousands of hot rods here, actually i found my van, real close by, he moved it out of his garage just in time for me to see it, and releave him of the burden,
this picture is basically the way I found it minus the engine mock up,, 3500$

,,,,, actually we are discussing this in the engine section,, and should either move this discussion to off topic or by PM mail,,, Later Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	21595   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	21596  

Last edited by Bad Rat; 06-02-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.