Hemi - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2001, 10:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Hemi

Hello all. I have a Hemi motor that I am trying to figure out what it is. It is part of my brothers estate and looking for someone who knows thier Hemi's. All i have is apicture of it and can e-mail it out. Only #s I can see are the first of them which are 132. It says Chrysler Fire power on the valve covers and it has a extended bellhousing on the back of the motor that extends about ten inches past the heads. Any help would be great. Thanks Alan At alzparts@aol.com

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: Alan ]

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: Alan ]

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2001, 05:00 AM

I am certainly not an expert on the old hemi engines but I would guess that you have a very early one. The extended block is for the old fluid drive torque converter/clutch assembly. Chrysler corp had three types of fluid drives that I can recall. They were all nicknamed "Klunk O Matics". Your engine is most likely a 331 CI 180HP engine. I had one out of a 52 Imperial years ago. I ran so smooth you had to look at the oil pressure gauge to see if it was running. I intended to put it in a 53 Merc but could never find a way around the extended block. Good Luck Dave
Old 09-26-2001, 04:18 PM

hEY THE GUY LOOKING FOR THE HEMI MOTOR SIZE OR WHAT EVER i HAVE A GUY iN THE cLEARWATER AREA OF fLORIDA THAT MAYBE CAN HELP YOU HERE iS HIS WEB ADDRESS,mOPAR cHARLIE WWW.EARLYHEMI.COM
EMAIL hemidart@hotmail.com
Good luck,
fellow reader,
Mike Kosmalski
Old 10-16-2001, 06:07 PM

Its possible you have a 331 or maybe a 413 if you'd be interested in selling it I like to talk to you further.
Old 10-27-2001, 03:39 PM
Engine Tech Addict

Try www.powerplayhemi.com I believe you have an early 331. Good luck with it.....
Old 10-27-2001, 05:26 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all of your help everybody. I am most certain that it is a 331 Hemi. Don't really know if anyone is looking for one but then again I don't know if I can sell it or not yet. It was my brothers and his girlfriend gave it away and don't know if it's worth getting it back. They said I can come pick it up, So if anyone wants one shoot me an offer and I can arrange something. It is currently located in Colorado. Once again thanks!

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: Alan ]
Old 11-22-2001, 12:13 PM

You have a 51 331 Chrysler hemi. Even with the extended bell housing they are a very good engine. A lot of the first hemi's even had hard valve seats, you can use todays junk unleaded fuel. These early hemi's have a low compression piston and a very mild hydraylic cam. They were extremely smooth running. Check the old hemi web sites and I think a company makes a adapter to use this engine with a 3 speed manual trans. Whatever you do, don't throw away the cast iron combination timing cover, waterpump assembly. Youll never find another one.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.