Hemi ? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjet View Post
So, Don Garlits didn't use a hemi?

I think you need to double check your internet sources.

Hey well I like 'em, and that's what matters
No he did use hemi engines but when? not the older hemi engines. I am talking about hotrods built in the 50's not race cars built in the 60's. Here is don talking about the 32 ford. He said himself that it is only once in a while you will see a mopar in one. Im just saying is was never a popular upgrade for the fords. I did not need to check any internet sources for this post. Seen about a million old fords in photos and actual builds not just bs from the net like yourself.

Here is another video where Big Daddy himslef talks about his frist hotrod being a 40 ford with a caddy motor. Thats what they did back in the day its a matter of history now. hemis didnt come into the play until years later.

What I am saying is a typical 50's style hotrod did not use the hemi that had just come out they used older engines that were very cheap. And since they didnt make more power than most engine until the 60's the hemi was not a popular motor for your typical weekend racer.

When i say rocket 88 I mean the 305 v8 released in 49 and 50. You know the one that is actually famous for powering the rocket 88 to so many of its nascar wins. The first rocket v8.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
No he did use hemi engines but when? not the older hemi engines. I am talking about hotrods built in the 50's not race cars built in the 60's. Here is don talking about the 32 ford. He said himself that it is only once in a while you will see a mopar in one. Im just saying is was never a popular upgrade for the fords. I did not need to check any internet sources for this post. Seen about a million old fords in photos and actual builds not just bs from the net like yourself.

Don Garlits and the '32 Fords - YouTube

Here is another video where Big Daddy himslef talks about his frist hotrod being a 40 ford with a caddy motor. Thats what they did back in the day its a matter of history now. hemis didnt come into the play until years later.
AutoFocus - Billetproof Traditional Hot Rods - YouTube

What I am saying is a typical 50's style hotrod did not use the hemi that had just come out they used older engines that were very cheap. And since they didnt make more power than most engine until the 60's the hemi was not a popular motor for your typical weekend racer.

When i say rocket 88 I mean the 305 v8 released in 49 and 50. You know the one that is actually famous for powering the rocket 88 to so many of its nascar wins. The first rocket v8.
I was answering the original poster's question about early hemi's. I have an early hemi, so I thought I'd give him some input. I don't understand how that is BS. BTW, even though I have never owned an early Olds, I damn sure know it wasn't a 305...
Old 11-23-2012, 10:19 AM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
I was answering the original poster's question about early hemi's. I have an early hemi, so I thought I'd give him some input. I don't understand how that is BS. BTW, even though I have never owned an early Olds, I damn sure know it wasn't a 305...
Your intuition is correct. Like I said in my previous post it displaced 303 cubic inches.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 AM

it was a 303 engine
Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
sorry typo-ed it 303
Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

The very first hot rod I built as a kid was a Hemi 354 in a 1953 Chevy coupe.Used trans adapt frame front mounts. Hehe-I put the sucker in that car and the front end dropped like a rock from the wt.of the engine. Yepper my early learning curve was in play.

Seems to me anytime a guy talks any Hemi build,the machine shop,the parts manufactures,well anyone kind of sees a guy as a cash cow.Early or late they are $$$$$$$ plus $$$$$$$ to build. Sure wish I could post something more positive but that wouldn't be the honest truth.Even the one I had in the 53 I had a boat load of money in it.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:21 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

I did work for a company that rented Kalitta's planes.The mechanics on board use to tell me about Connie's aluminum farm that up in Mich is a warehouse fulled floor to roof with blown up Hemi blocks. They said you had to watch what you said about that when Connie was around because he was sensitive about that and you never knew when Connie was looking right at you.LOL.It is because he is cross sighted.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

hemi's in the 50's

In the 50's I had an olds in my T bucket,I found my real steel body in 51, My brother had a caddy in his T, My older brother had a merc flat head with all the goodies, aluminum heads, 3 2's H C ignition in his 40 coupe... a buddy had an olds in his first coupe and an olds in his roadster, the most common "modern" overhead engines were olds and caddies but one kid whose dad owned a combinitation welding- machine shop had a chrysler hemi in his model a vicky and another kid had a stock hemi in his 27 t roadster pickup on a stock length model A frame , two years ago I was cleaning out the shop and ran across the adaptor for olds to flathead trans and listed it on Craigs list, the first guy was there in half an hour and I had a dozen calls that morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
hcompton (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
The very first hot rod I built as a kid was a Hemi 354 in a 1953 Chevy coupe.Used trans adapt frame front mounts. Hehe-I put the sucker in that car and the front end dropped like a rock from the wt.of the engine. Yepper my early learning curve was in play.

Seems to me anytime a guy talks any Hemi build,the machine shop,the parts manufactures,well anyone kind of sees a guy as a cash cow.Early or late they are $$$$$$$ plus $$$$$$$ to build. Sure wish I could post something more positive but that wouldn't be the honest truth.Even the one I had in the 53 I had a boat load of money in it.
Yeah the entire cash cow thing is a killer for me. I hate to pay wholesale must less inflated retail. It kills your projects to have 20K in a motor. Im sure some guys can build hemi engine for 800 dollars but in the real world its a lot more money than a ring kit to get one on the road.

People hoarding hemis arent going to sell you a good one. they will keep that for themselves. so your stuck with the best of the rest. which means you will be putting some cash down to get it right.

Machine shops dont want to work on your hemi blocks so they charge twice as much for blocks that cant be replaced. (not just hemi engines) If they make a mistake they have to eat a costly block and bits break and machinist do make mistakes and it happens just as much in the machine shop as it does in everyone elses line of work.

You cant blame the machine shop owner that would rather work on heads/flywheels from the dealer and local mechanics shops than work on a hard to find engine block with a nervous customer watching.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 AM

For racers/hotrodders wanting to build an early hemi try this sight for parts: Hot Heads Research & Racing Early Chrysler Hemi Home
I have bought parts for a couple of early builds. Good people to deal with, very knowledgeable.
Parts are pricy compared to building a SBC but I think you have to take into consideration on the supply and demand aspect.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:13 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Quote:
As far as costs go, my complete 331 was around $800. Granted a rebuild will be more than a SBC, but the wow factor is worth it.

This is the perfect hotrod IMO. Model A with a 1954 Chrysler 331 (Bass's car)
No other engine even comes close to the early Chrysler hemi for the cool factor

THE Bass Hemi Model A Coupe - THE H.A.M.B.

Centerline has a nice hotrod too
Here is his early hemi website..

HotRodsAndHemis.com

That Hemi would look good in my 31 Plymouth 3 window.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.