Hot Rod Forum banner

Hemi looking valve covers, that bolt on to a small block Chevy

37K views 100 replies 32 participants last post by  Kevin45 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the web address for the company that sales the Hemi looking valve covers, that bolt on to a small block Chevy. There's a picture of these valve covers in my album, if you would like to see what I'm talking about.

#80 ·
Centerline said:
Beautiful! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I only hope that my '64 Polara turns out that nice. Right now its collecting dust in the shop waiting for me to finish the deuce. Its a good platform to start a build too. Spent its whole life in Alabama, its a factory big block 4 speed car and I'm the second owner. Will be doing a rotisserie resto mod on that one.
My first old car was a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II 2 door hdtp. White /red
I left a note on it and the owner called me. Picked it up for 600.00 back in 1988'ish. I was 15 at the time. My friends thought I was nuts for buying a grandma car..We put in a built 440 with 6 pack cam and fenderwell headers. My dad and I jacked up the trunions and got her nose high. Had crager s/s rims for awhile then went to steel rims and dog dish caps. Ran 4:11 gears. I found an original 426 street wedge hood ornament and put it on. I also picked up the correct 426 chrome valve covers and air cleaner..basically the car looked like a street wedge car. By the time it was done we added a hemi scoop..That was a nice car. I sold it to a guy in Fallbrook Ca and then it showed up again near my hometown La Verne, Ca a few years later. I heard its still in that area. Prior to the 65 my parents had a 62 Belair 409 car that I tried to buy from them but my mom wouldnt have it.."Too much car"..so I end up with a big block Plymouth that was much faster.. :mwink:
I will see if I can dig up a pic....

#81 ·
ramzoom said:
............. I also picked up the correct 426 chrome valve covers and air cleaner..basically the car looked like a street wedge car....
That's pretty much the way I'm going to go with my Polara. Pull the 383 and drop in a built 440 with the correct looking accessories for the original 426 street wedge look. I was originally going to do a Max Wedge clone but sold my manifold in order to buy parts for the deuce. A single quad Mopar Performance manifold will be much more streetable and affordable anyway. ;)

#82 ·
Gotta love a pic of a dog driving a open fender street rod with a surf board...smoking the tires down the track.

Now thats what I'm talkin bout! :thumbup:

That should be your avatar CBoy, dang thats cool! :cool:

Now I have to see if I can get a pic of my cat prop standing my boat with a fishin rod attached to the console. :mwink:

#84 ·
cboy:
Glad Buster's ok. Please remind him to steer into the skid, not opposite the way the tail's going. Hope he didn't get a lane violation on that one. While on the matter of safety, I don't care if he is a dog, he still needs a helmet, fireproof underwear and at least a bungee cord on that board! You oughta put 'im in the doghouse for a week.

Rob Keller:
Thanks for the idea! There's a track that recently opened near here (don't know if it's dirt or asphalt as I just hear the races while taping the home high school football games); maybe they'll let me enter the Dodge. Needs a big shark fin hood ornament that steers with the front tires, though, to help turn it at the speeds when the wing is effective.

I'm gonna have to hit the knowledge base to see if there's anything I can do to that slant 6. Don't want to do an engine swap; just enhance a little.

#85 ·
Centerline said:
That's pretty much the way I'm going to go with my Polara. Pull the 383 and drop in a built 440 with the correct looking accessories for the original 426 street wedge look. I was originally going to do a Max Wedge clone but sold my manifold in order to buy parts for the deuce. A single quad Mopar Performance manifold will be much more streetable and affordable anyway. ;)
The chrome valve covers shouldnt be too hard but that damn chrome air cleaner will be.
You can pick up a front swaybar out of the bigger sport fury or Monaco if I remember right..street wedge cars had larger brakes, the swaybar up front and thats pretty much it (other than that engine). I actually have a 426 Max wedge block standard bore stage II with heads and a 426 ST. wedge intake that was around from way back when..I have been picking up parts to complete the engine for whatever might come up. I will see if I have a pic. Problem with a street wedge is that they use the AAQA block so going max wedge is more desireable. I threw the intake and the heads on the block and took a pic a month or two ago..the 426 intake is very flat..I remember thinking there is a 426 st. wedge motor ready to go! We also have a couple a833 4 sppeds laying around so I guess I should be looking for a 64/65 Mopar :mwink:

#88 ·
Heh. I think it would be a good thing to rebuild the old six before feeding it any nitrous. Either that or I should build a blast shield where the firewall is now. :D

I found some information on other ways to perk up a slant six:
http://allpar.com/mopar/hyper-pak.html

With the release of the compact 1960 Plymouth Valiant, NASCAR sanctioned a special race for the new six-cylinder compact car class, which would involve all three major automakers.

[...]

Seven slant six valiants entered the new NASCAR race; when the race ended, not only had all seven Hyper-Paks finished, proving their reliability and durability, but they won the first seven places!

[...]

Hyper-Pak specs:
  • Overhead valve. Cast iron block.
  • Compression ratio: 11.5:1 (225), 10.5:1 (170)
  • Brake hp: 195 at 5200 rpm (225), 148 (170)
  • Four main bearings.
  • Solid valve lifters.
  • Carburetor: Carter AFB 3083S four-barrel.
  • Larger exhaust system using cast iron hearders.

#89 ·
Hey grouch, if you want to perk her up.

Give her a full tank of Premium, and a can of Seafoam, and drive her down the highway. She might get mad if you take off her wing though. :D

JMO

Heres a thought. Do the above, and send someone else driving her down the highway. She would really perk up under the 'national news' spotlight! :D :D

#90 ·
I am so very sorry. This thread is supposed to be about "Hemi looking valve covers, that bolt on a small block Chevy". Although, it does have 'switchbacks' and 'turns', much like a 'Road Race Coarse', and we've just hit the "Front Straightway"!

On second thought, I am not sorry. It was not my fault. After reviewing the tapes, on the start, a "driver" tried to push his way from the back, to the front of the 'field'. The officials black 'flagged' him, and tried to send him to the back of the 'field'. It is unclear whether he has accepted this position, or not, at this time.

JMO

Stephen

#92 · (Edited)
I once thought about buying a set of Firepower hemi valve covers one time and making adapters to fit something else,If Ii couldnt find a hemi to slap them on. They were cheap $30,old and,rusty. I was 16 or 17 at the time and quickly snaped back to my senses :thumbup:

What do you think about this though? I'm not planning on trying to make it look like mechanical fuel injection I do however like the 8 velocity stacks peeking through the hood.

------\ /\ /\ /\ /---- hood line---
........|...........| <air flter housing a rectangular flat type element

Shane

Edit Found a photo similar to the look I'm after

#93 ·
Chevrolet4x4s said:
I once thought about buying a set of Firepower hemi valve covers one time and making adapters to fit something else,If Ii couldnt find a hemi to slap them on. They were cheap $30,old and,rusty. I was 16 or 17 at the time and quickly snaped back to my senses :thumbup:

What do you think about this though? I'm not planning on trying to make it look like mechanical fuel injection I do however like the 8 velocity stacks peeking through the hood.

------\ /\ /\ /\ /---- hood line---
........|...........| <air flter housing a rectangular flat type element

Shane
I love the looks of those, functional with mechanical injection though. I was a crew chief of a 1/4 mile drag boat that had them, along with the belt driven Crower fuel pump. The only problem was, you had to splash some fuel through the tube's, to get it started.

If you are going to put a hole in your hood, there is nothing more 'impressive' looking like a 'roots' type blower sticking out of the hood.

JMO

#94 ·
fake hemi

At applefest this year I put my Lincoln in the unfinished class between a p.o.s. ricer who was there maybe 2 hours and my buddy and two of his El Camino's. Anyway this older dude had a '48 Chevy pickup made to look like a rat rod by shooting it primer gray and putting toilet seats for seats in it. Oh yeah it looked real ratty what with the air ride suspension and tilt hood and bed and what not. But in the bed was what everyone believed was a Hemi with six single barrel carbs on it it even had me going for a minuet until I saw the exhaust ports in the heads. Small Block Chevy!! I felt stoopid for believing it was a Hemi the judges believed it was a Hemi and he won in the unfinished class. Thats fine with me but what got to me and my buds was his stupid farting dummy he had by his truck so every time and I mean every time we'd go to our cars the guy pushed the button to make it fart. It was funny until it got low on batteries from the hundreds of people walking by and him pushing that dang button to where it sounded like a sick bull frog, but he kept on pushing that button. So what I have to say to anyone thinking about putting "cross-dressed" valve covers on their mills is Do you really want to be like this dude? ;)

#95 ·
http://www.tperformance.com/street_rod_store/engine/small_block_chevy_oversized_valve_covers/

i sorry if this harsh but that was the most gayist,idiotic,and dumbest (trust me i have many more words that would be frowned upon)thing i have ever seen and
like you mike i like all V8s buuut i am pullin out the SBC out of my GMC and slappin in buick 455 :p Calm down Centerline, it's a direct bolt in i already had it in there and i just need buick lower motor mounts.

#99 ·
I just looked at a picture of the fake Hemi markedward posted in his photo album (I guess as an example).

Anybody who is even a little bit of knowledge of the early HEMIs or SBC should pick that out as a poser in about 2 seconds. The SBC intake sticks out like a sore thumb and is way too narrow, the valve covers sit at the wrong angle and as mentioned if you could see the exhaust the spacing on the exhaust ports is all wrong for a HEMI.

My question is how does it hide where the sparkplugs REALLY are down by the exhaust ports or do you hope no one notices?

Just for comparison I pulled the picture from his album and next to it is the real deal in my 57 Plymouth.

But I suppose if you want to spend $1400 for a pair of valve covers what the heck.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.