Hemi's,Hemi's, and more Hemi's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 06:02 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hemi's,Hemi's, and more Hemi's

Me and a friend of mine were cruising around our small town sat. when I took him by and old commercial warehouse building to show him a mail box shaped like a blower scoop sitting on top of an old hemi engine, mounted on an engine stand. I noticed that the overhead door was open and seen the back of a 40's model power wagon. We got out and walked up to the door and said howdy, nice truck, can we look at it? The guy (300 plus lbs) got off his stool an into his wheel chair and said sure!
The hood was open and we looked in amazement at a chromed over hemi stuffed in it. WOW, this old thing would probably go anywhere! The more we looked around, the more car's we saw. Each doorway revealed another large room full of 50's 60's and 70's Mopar's to include, 2 69 cuda's, dusters, Big chrysler's, all with one thing in common, all had hemi's! even a 70 challenger.
What car's didn't have engines in them, had hemi's on engine stands.
I've never seen so many Hemi's in one place in my 60 yrs. on earth. One engine had the old cross ram intake system that looks to wide to fit in anything. He said hey, pull the plastic off that car over there and tell what you think. We pulled the plastic off and holy cow, it looked like a 300 about 59 or 60 with a blown Hemi in it. How crazy that was.
He was working on a 35 Chrysler he just bought in aug. for 2500 bucks
and had already had mounts welded in and was sizing it up for a (guess what)
another Hemi. This place was like a grave yard in heaven.
I told my wife later about it and she asked if I was drooling in there. I told her "like a diabetic in a candy store". Most of the cars hadn't been started in years. I guess as far as I can tell, he builds them, drives them, and then finds something else to build when he get's tired of them, and parks them.
I didn't even ask about buying anything, No money! The way he has hoarded everything chances are slim of that but maybe, someday, if I volunteer my help because his physical condition, I might get lucky! There's alway the lottery! I just had to say something about this find because my stomach is still turning. SQZBOX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

and you without a camera - - - right?

cool story, thanks for sharing
Old 10-11-2009, 07:09 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Yeah, totally unprepared. Next time (asap) I will have it! As interested in working on his new project (the 35) as he is, it won't be long before I catch him in there. I'll post some pic's for sure, if he will let me. This place is incredible, even the shelves full of part's from the floor to the ceiling, wall to wall. Perhaps I can talk him in to documenting his collection for ins. purposes.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:49 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

He sounds like a proud Street Rod Builder. Take your camera and ask if you could get some photos. I would love to see them.

Thanks for the story.

454 RATTLER
Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Hemisherical unbeleivable Heavenly

Man I once knew a cat like that who had mopars everywhere,When you least expect it these things happen.That is an amazing tale.I wonder if this dude wants you to use a camera around there.I would'nt if I were him.Too much bad going on these days.The value of these cars adds up to be a very tidy sum.Something about this just is too wonderful and he was too open to be someone asking for help.I have known plenty of vets that work alone and like it that way.Maybe I am overly cautious.Have you priced a hemi lately and how many of us really want one?I never did.I think for me I'd take a polyshereical engine over a hemi.Matter of choice.Some of the guys that ran them on the strip in the fifties usually didnt run them on the road.There again,Matter of choice.Give it a shot though if you do good,Good luck from the moontanker,What a find.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:30 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I understand what you mean, It came to mind when I thought about it later.
I am also a vet, so I got that covered. Charlie really loves his Hemi's and I think he might go for it with a duplicate set of pic's for him.
We live in a small town, and I'm 60 yrs. old and NOT a thief. I am also not a taker, but a giver to people I like and can offer help to him for nothing more than watching the outcome of a radical, crazy, hotrod!
His location will not be disclosed if I use any of them. He's done all the work himself but face it, climbing in and out of a wheel chair has to suck.
My friend knows him from the past and charlie is known for his car's and used to race allot on the street and track for years around here. I wouldn't think of going over to see him yet without my friend with me.
Wish me luck in the future as these will be drooling pic's of some radical motor's we can all enjoy,
Old 10-13-2009, 03:25 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Here's some pic's I promised. I didn't get everything in there but the one's that raised my eyebrows! Charlie was sizing up the fit on the hemi in his latest project, 35 chrysler. The blown hemi is in a 1960 windsor. the other hemi is in a 45 power wagon and I don't know how he got it in there! The 413 cross ram was just sitting around waiting on a ride!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35 chrysler.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	41193   Click image for larger version

Name:	45 power wagon.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	41194   Click image for larger version

Name:	413 cross ram.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	41195   Click image for larger version

Name:	1960 windsor.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	41196   Click image for larger version

Name:	1960 windsor 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	41197  

Old 10-13-2009, 05:42 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Here's one more I think he said it was a 60's something corenet.
Nice clean hemi in there, huh? This ain't half of what he's got in there.
Almost forgot this one. Not sure what yr. or model, but it had bucket seat's in the back from the factory w/console. awsome old car! (just remembered, it was an imperial w/the spare tire cover on the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corenet 426 hemi.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	41198   Click image for larger version

Name:	413 cross ram 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	41199  

Last edited by sqzbox; 10-13-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: info
Old 10-13-2009, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

I Yi Yi

I am beginning to now more fully understand how you must have felt when you guys found all these fantastic cars.Couple of mos. ago I sold a Fury 3 that I didn't need.Just to get rid of it.I had a 54 New Yorker Hardtop too and got it gone.A guy down in Alabama was a Mo par nut and a couple years ago passed and his daughter was selling the things.He had hemis in crates from the 50's and 60's and she was selling them at 5 K a pop.It didn't take long for all that stuff to go. I had a 54 4door with a hemi I gave 450 for about 5 years ago and the block was cracked so I sold it back to the dude.I wish you luck and I believe this new friend may be a Godsend for you.Its definitely a good sign man. Let us know when you get about a thousand pics.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Holy Cow
We've all heard the stories,but this is the first time I've ever seen the pictures to back it up,
Shane

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.