Henrob(sp?) and jewler's torch users - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 09:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Henrob(sp?) and jewler's torch users

I broke out the oxy/acetylene torch the other day and did some gas welding on one of my latest projects, the areas that needed attention made sense to gas weld. I know a lot of people brag up the Henrob torch and have also heard some like MartinSR say that a jewler's torch works good for nice micro beads when butt welding but this brings out some questions. I weld with the smallest Victor tip size I have which often times is borderline enough flame size for me, do these smaller torches actually produce enough heat with a smaller flame at the same time? I've never welded with a henrob or a jewler's torch so I had to ask otherwise I'll forever wonder or I'll just end up buying one to try . Although 95% of my welding is done with a mig, occasionally I see something that just makes sense to gas weld, Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 997 Posts
Bob, the Jewelers torch will weld 18 guage metal. It does with the largest tip that comes with it. The smallest one will allow you to solder on a circuit board!

With the largest tip you can easily weld two pieces of 18 guage butted tight using .023 mig wire as filler rod!

Very cool tool, I highly recommend giving it a try. The best part is they are so reasonably priced. Sunchaser tools still has them for $99.00 I think.

Brian
Old 12-06-2005, 05:36 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

if you buy the henrob torch be sure to buy new gages. it works at 4lbs. most regulators wont go that low. i have'nt practised enough to weld beer cans yet but i've seen it done with this torch.

Last edited by shine; 12-06-2005 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:12 AM

Last photo:

Although the Henrob is an excellent quality tool I just can't help but believe that it is more hype($$$$$) than function. It does an excellent job but then so does my Victor and the Victor, to me anyway, is a lot more comfortable to use since I find that dang pistol grip just plain awkward. I know a lot of people swear by the Henrob and I will not disagree if it works for them but I have used O/A for many years and that Henrob in my box has been collecting dust for a long time, give me my Victor any day! I have an old jewelers torch with several sizes of tips that was made in Germany I think, don't know the brand, but when I need a really small tip this thing is just the ticket. The Victor 100 series with a 000 tip is usually about as small as I ever need to go and it does a fantastic job even though the 000 is a bit hard to find.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:26 PM

Last photo:

I'll have to look at my torch and check my tip sizes, I think the smallest I have is a 00.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper

Last photo:

Ditto to what oldred said, I have the Dillon, and a Victor Jr...also use a 000 tip on the Victor most of the time. I'd like to try a smaller one sometime like the jewelers torch, or the Meco midget...

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 12-06-2005, 03:09 PM
02,87,67,66,34 all Chevys

Last journal entry: Side project
Last photo:

I also have a Henrob and I bought it mostly for welding cast iron, for this it cannot be beat. I find it a bit uncomfortable vs a conventional torch but after 3 years now, I'm getting use to it. It cuts great on sheet stock, just like a plasma cutter, but sucks when it comes to tight spots. I have welded paint cans together without much trouble but have yet to do a beer can. So, I guess my bottom line is "I'm impressed"! So impressed that I sucked up the exorbitant price and bought one. It will be a key tool in the refurb of my 34 Sedan, I'll keep you posted
Old 12-06-2005, 03:14 PM

Gas Welding Filler Rod

When gas welding, what filler rods get used? If a .023 wire is used ,is it solid or that kind used without gas that is called the flux wire? I have seen whrer coat hanger wire was used inorder to get a lower melting point I guess. What about the plain slick wire that comes in rolls on the supplies rack in the auto supply store? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Tex, There has been a lot of coat hanger used over the years and I have even been guilty of using tie wire of various sizes(makes a nice soft easy to work weld ) But by far the best welding wire is a good virgin alloy rod, uncoated is best. Check with a welding supply house and ask for a GOOD HIGH QUALITY virgin alloy rod, there are several good brands. The cheap copper plated gas rods found at auto parts, hardware stores and even some welding suppliers are mostly junk and are no better than coat hanger. These things(the cheap ones) are reclaimed scrap steel of mostly unknown alloy and contaminated with junk to boot. Once you use these good alloy rods you will not want anything else since they flow out beautifully with a heck of a lot less sparking and popping. The copper coating means nothing since it is there only for manufacturing purposes to reduce wear to the draw dies and not for rust protection as some believe so uncoated wire is ok and in fact may even be better.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

I too have a Henrob/Cobra torch. As stated above it cuts great just about like a plasma. It also welds nice and I like the fine tip. I don't do a lot of gas welding so the grip doesn't bother me. If you can get the job done with a regular O/A set-up I don't really see a need to go out and buy one. The torch I had was flat out huge so I needed something smaller to work with, the Henrob/Cobra was just right for my needs. I guess what I am saying is they do work great and are not hype. Other than nice small, clean cuts I am not sure they will do anything more than a fine tipped Victor, etc... will do.

Royce

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.