Hot Rod Forum banner

Here's an e-coated chevelle picture.

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Hippie 
#1 · (Edited)
Every so often I see some questions asked about e-coating a car. Here is a picture taken 3/14/06 of a 64 or 65 Chevelle coming off the e-coat line.

This was done at a company in Mississippi that we put the e-coat equipment in for. They will do your car for $750 to $950. They also prefer you use a local stripping company to clean the car beforehand.

If there's any interest I'll post the contact information.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that is nice! A great foundation. Scuff her down and shoot some epoxy primer then do any polyester work needed, 2K primer and block to perfection.

What kind of prep work is involved before the E-coating is applied? How are the internal areas of rocker panels and similar non accessible areas prepped and cleaned before the Ecoat goes on? Bob

#3 ·
baddbob said:
What kind of prep work is involved before the E-coating is applied? How are the internal areas of rocker panels and similar non accessible areas prepped and cleaned before the Ecoat goes on? Bob
The prep work would be whatever body work you want to do first, then a chemical dip stripping. The fact that the stripping is a dip process insures all areas get attention.

E-coating is followed by a Post Rinse dipping process consisting of dipping the e-coated part in what's called permeate followed by RO Water. Basically once e-coat is applied you can't wash it off even before its cured in an oven for 400 degrees or so for 20-30 minutes. Unless you scrape the hell out of it.

Here's two systems we put in. One for combines and the other for semi truck trailer frames.

#7 ·
gator412 said:
Ok I might sound stupid here...but what is an e-coat?
Electrodeposition Coating. Its paint. Made up from RO water, resin, and paste. You run current throught the paint to the part to ground. Depending on how much current at time, you control the mil thickness.

Its mostly for high production painting but, these guys are willing to do cars for enthusiasts.

#10 ·
The company is in Jackson, Mississippi. (Sorry, I said Alabama at first.) Its called SEC. Their main business is e-coating truck frames. They have informed me they are more than willing to do e-coating for hot rodders like ourselves. They have quoted me from $750 to $950 for full body e-coating. Anyone interested should contact either of the following SEC guys:

Mike McGuffie or Clay Morgan @ 601-407-2345.

Mike and Clay work closely with another company in Jackson, Mississippi, Metal Finishing Services, who does the stripping work for them. This is a chemical dip stripping similar to Redi-Strip. Anyone interested in this should contact the following Metal Finishing guy:

David Church @ 601-355-3317.

#13 ·
The company I work for has been E-Coat priming for the Ag and construction equipment and military vehicle industry since 1989, the exact same stuff GM uses. A good E-coat system has much better corrosion resistance than conventional spray systems and will coat interior areas spray coatings can't. However if there are any areas where air is trapped it won't coat there, we follow those up with an epoxy primer. Of course the corrosion resistance is only as good as the pretreatment prior to E-coat. We use a 20 to 23 stage full immersion pretreat depending on the base material and do extensive corrosion testing, we are required by TACOM to pass a 1,000 hour salt spray test, meaning the equivalent of 1,000 hours of continuous exposure to a high humidity salt environment, before ANY corrosion begins. We far exceed that. That is just for the primer, topcoat will increase the cycle life. Body fillers will not survive the ovens though and any trace of silicone is fatal to the e-coat, "fisheyes" the hell out of it and the only cure is to dump the tank. $$$$$$!!! Armor All, RTV and WD-40 are not allowed anywhere near our paint dept. :nono: I've been able to sneak a few trinkets through when nobody was looking. If you can afford it do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.