Hot Rod Forum banner

Heres my paint booth

60K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  51chrysler 
#1 ·
I thought id post some pics of the "home-made" paint booth since im getting very close to the end of my project and ill have to take her down so I can finish mudding/taping/painting the garage walls.
Notice the sign on the door " keep out Shawna (my girlfirend) no boneheads allowed" I got smacked for writing that but she knows i like to pick on her:)

If you notice its i built it in the 3rd stall of my garage (the stall with the window obviously) i took and old shop fan which i mounted in the window-and i taped some papertowels over the motor to prevent fumes from blowing me up- even though i dont think it would be possible unless I was continously spraying something for 3 hours. But whatever safety first right???

I built the booth before I mud/tape/painted the garage so i could fill all the holes in from the wood. the base around the floor is just wood furring srips from the hardware store "rolled up" in the excess 4 mil plastic and stapled. The door is just a cut out with a "overhang" and I pull it tight over two 3'' wood screws bent slightly away from the door.

Worked great theres also a filter between the window and the fan so that Fumes excess paint or gunk doesnt come out and get on the house or stink up the neighbor hood.

Hopefully this will give someone an idea on what they can build-- I built this alone and it cost under 100.00. Enjoy

Oh and thats Marty hes in charge of "stable security"

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I can understand that. Since its a "practice" car I tried to keep things on a at least a little budget. How spendy are the paint booth filters? when I do my bronco next, since ill be painting the entire rig, ill probobly use something like that...

#5 ·
paper towels do not stop fumes, hell you can breath through them. They may even cause the fumes to condense.

Most likely your fan has a brushless motor and makes no sparks anyway. The switch does make sparks, and if it is a metal blade and contacts the side of the housing it can spark.

#7 ·
taylorb2053 said:
Cool man. Only one suggestion i would make. If you want completely clean air dont use home filters. They dont catch as many particles in the air as the paint booth filters
There's different air filters. I have some expensive ones for intake and cheap ones for exhaust.
Nice setup btw. It's pretty much what I have. Do neighbors complain about fumes?

#14 ·
Good ideals at work. The largest Auto Body/paint shop in our area has 8-10 state of the art booths and though he makes his money by doing collision work, he still does custom work as well. We were talking with him one day during a round of golf and he reminisced over his early days. His first paint booth consisted of roll up plastic curtains much like window blinds. He had a portable wall that contained the entry door and filters. He said he turned out just as good of paint jobs in it as is done today in the state of the art facilities.

Don't we just love the EPA!!

Trees

#16 ·
JohnnyK81 said:
Looks good. Have to build one myself this week (Hopefully? Yeah, probably not going to happen).. I'm still debating a cost effective way to tap into one side of a furnace fan and have it split into two filters on the side. :D
I do not follow what you are thinking??

Are you going to use the fan as a blower or as a sucker?

If it is a squirrel cage fan which most furnaces are, it has the inlets on the shaft ends of the housing and the discharge is the rectangular opening .

It would be very easy to split the discharge. The intake is already split.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mach1460 said:
I can understand that. Since its a "practice" car I tried to keep things on a at least a little budget. How spendy are the paint booth filters? when I do my bronco next, since ill be painting the entire rig, ill probobly use something like that...
Actually, booth exhaust filters are often cheaper than the ones you buy from Lowes or Home Depot for your home. The often sticky type, used to catch contaminants, that are intake filters are alittle higher. Check with a local Automotive Paint Supplier. Often they will sell you individuals... not a whole case like the shops buy. We sell them that way and it really is better than the HVAC filters the home stores sell.

Greg
***********.com

#25 ·
portable pray booth

now here's a thinking man !!! you need to look into a patent before someone
else does. GREAT IDEA ! your exhuast fan set up made me think about changing my exhuast system to a dry filter type. my fumes ae forced through
a series of water spray nozzles mounted on a 3/8" pipe.the fumes & over spray pass through the spray and a very small amount of fumes are noticeable
outside.good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.