hesitation problems (vacuum adv.?) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Almost there

Wiki Edits: 0

hesitation problems (vacuum adv.?)

hey guys im here again for some help. ok. so i still have this 74 f100 with a 390 in it. i set the timing on it today and it runs a lot better but i still can not punch the throttle and it stay running. it cuts out like it wants to die on me and then smooths out again. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

It would be nice to have more info.........engine, carb, etc. What's your fuel pressure?? Accelerator pump working??? Fuel filter changed recently???
Thx, JD
Old 07-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

My first suspect would be the accelerator pump OR the power valve, depending on the carb. Could also be "one of those things" where the engine/trans/gearing just won't allow you to mash it and go screaming away from a dead stop.

Other thing could be ignition problems. Do you still have points or is it electronic? Does the engine have enough compression to get that beast moving quickly from a dead stop?

The vac advance does nothing when you "mash the pedal down". Manifold vacuum goes to zero and there is no secondary vacuum signal either, so you can rule out the advance as the problem.

Mark
Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Almost there

i. more info... this truck had not ran is 6 years. i cleaned out the gas tank new fuel filter, new points, new solenoid,new master cylinder, new wires and plugs and a new carb (2bbl).the motor is a 390 wi 56,000 miles. also all of the cylinders have great compression.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

2 bbl on a 390??? Ok but a 4 bbl would be nice. Got a feeling it's starved a bit. At least that's my first reaction, but it's getting late here and I'm checkin out. Carb is new or rebuilt??? Float working properly??? Do you have a vacuum gauge to see what's happening at idle and higher rpm??? Bear in mind it sat for 6 years........there's a host of things that could be an issue. Me and "old fuel" have had issues in the past.

Any way to get a fuel pressure reading???? None of us are leaning over the engine so it's a bit hard to diagnose from a stinkin computer. Will check back in the AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:02 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark

The vac advance does nothing when you "mash the pedal down". Manifold vacuum goes to zero and there is no secondary vacuum signal either, so you can rule out the advance as the problem.
The vacuum advance feature operates from a ported vacuum signal and will cause tip-in hesitation as will a bad accelerator pump. Check diaphram operation and breaker plate binding. It has mechanical points so make sure they are adjusted correctly.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Almost there

yes it is a new carb not a rebuild. the points was gapped properly with a feeler gauge. and like i said the gas tank was cleaned not drained. could vacuum have anything to do with it at all? i know that the vacume lines are messed up. i thik the previous owner pluged them up to wherever he thaught they should go
Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

What carb are you running??? First, I would disconnect the vacuum lines and plug. Plug the ports on the carb where removed. Set base or initial timing. Do you have a timing light??? Check mechanical advance to be sure it's coming in correctly. Visually inspect all vacuum lines and fittings for deterioration or leaks.

If you have vacuum leaks you can usually get it to idle but it will crap out when you add additional F/A mixture. (too lean). Also look in the carb throat , open the throttle and make sure the accelerator pump is giving a good squirt.

Check back, JD
Old 07-26-2007, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

here's a very handy trouble shooting link....

click on "feels" then "engine hestiates" for a prioritized causes listing.....

http://www.autozone.com/UseCase,S001...tInTheZone.htm

because it sat so long you really should put a clear plastic Purolator gas filter ($5) on the the fuel hose line into the fuel pump to catch the crap from the tank and fuel lines.....common for the first one you put on to be to be plugged full of crap (filter is totally full of gas) in just 200-500 miles
Old 07-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Almost there

fuel pump

o.k. so i went out this morning and did a pressure test on the truck. the fuel pressure didn't even read on the gauge. so i am going to change it and see if that fixes my problem. what i don't understand is how could it stay running is the fuel pump is not working
Old 07-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryin2MakeIt
o.k. so i went out this morning and did a pressure test on the truck. the fuel pressure didn't even read on the gauge. so i am going to change it and see if that fixes my problem. what i don't understand is how could it stay running is the fuel pump is not working
It will transfer some fuel just not generate pressure or volume I would look for a fuel filter up line from the pump it could be blocked. If no filter blow back thru the line to the tank to make sure there is no sludge or blockage could be a starved pump.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

I've always liked the clear fuel filters, easy to see what's happening. And ditto to T-25
Old 07-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Back Yard Junky :)

Last photo:
Location: Around the Corner from the middle of nowhere... Arden Ontario

IMO I would fix all the fuel problems then unbolt the 2 bbls and intake and drive to the closest lake and throw them in it and bolt on a 4bbl set up. Theres nothing better then hearing the 4 bbls open up at 3000 rpm when you mash the gas and leave 40 ft of rubber

But thats just my opinion

Ed
Old 07-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400smb_s10
IMO I would fix all the fuel problems then unbolt the 2 bbls and intake and drive to the closest lake and throw them in it and bolt on a 4bbl set up. Theres nothing better then hearing the 4 bbls open up at 3000 rpm when you mash the gas and leave 40 ft of rubber

But thats just my opinion

Ed
Theres nothing better than an armchair hot rodder He obviously put the 2bbl on there for a reason "Duh what he wanted" bet he beats your gas mileage
Old 07-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Back Yard Junky :)

Last photo:
Location: Around the Corner from the middle of nowhere... Arden Ontario

Yes thats for sure but you still cant beat the sound of 4bbls opening up when you smash the gas and 40 people are watching you smoke the tires off that 390 ford I have no beef with 2bbls I used to have a 1984 ford branco with a 302 with 2 bbls and YES it was stupendisly great on gas Untill it rotted out the frame and I had to can it for a street vehicle.. I welded the frame put a 4 bbls intake and carb on it and jacked it up and put 44 inch swamper boggers on sold it as a non road werthy vehicle to my buddy for $9000 and hes won many many mud drags/bogs with it. I miss the old truck because I could put 50 bucks in gas in it and it would last me a week and a half but now Im hooked on my new truck a 1978 chevy stepside with a 400 sbc pushing 425 hp with super 40s on it oh my gooses I think I love it more then my girl friend. I dont even turn on the radio when im on a long drive just listen to the 1 5/8 headers straight into super 40's then into 5" blue chrome tips

anyways thats my .02 cents

Ed

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.