Hesitation under load - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hesitation under load

Hey guys, I am currently working on a 1969 GTO and have run into some hesitation issues. It idles and revs fine in park but under load it hesitates. If I bearly give it gas is goes but if I punch it at any speed it hesitates more and more. I've installed a new Edelbrock 600 Electric Choke (had the same problem with a 750 Holley), new fuel lines and filter from the pump up. I am stuck and dont know which way to chase this problem...thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM

you have already checked the timing and advance curve? fuel pressure/volume?The plugs and wires are good? Cap is clean?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

What gear ratio you are running? What is the stall on the converter? Which 750 Holley you had before. DP or VS? How big is the engine? How do you have distributor set up? Is it full manifold vacuum or ported vacuum? Where did you set the timing?

Last edited by lg1969; 12-17-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 GOAT View Post
Hey guys, I am currently working on a 1969 GTO and have run into some hesitation issues. It idles and revs fine in park but under load it hesitates. If I bearly give it gas is goes but if I punch it at any speed it hesitates more and more. I've installed a new Edelbrock 600 Electric Choke (had the same problem with a 750 Holley), new fuel lines and filter from the pump up. I am stuck and dont know which way to chase this problem...thanks.
I'd be willing to bet that your problem is a lack of pump shot and/or the secondaries are opening too quickly. If that is the case, it's an easy fix.

Bill

Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

Fuel pump is dieing!!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Old & Furious

On the edelbrocks i always end up moving the accelrator pump lever to its highest setting that will usally sort it if not you need to pluck out the needles and make some adjustments. Check manual for off idle and mid range circuts.

Fyi electric choke is jetted more for economy than power. Its some times better if you by the manual and add the choke kit.

Edelbrock can walk you over the setup on the phone.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Old & Furious

Here is a link about half way down the page he shows the accelerator pump and the adjustment.

Under the Hood: Cutting Back on Carbs?: Tomorrow's Technician

Your needs to be set like the one in the picture. It may also need to be larger than standard. I had to do it for my 472 so it wouldnt stumble. Also had to raise the fuel pressure a little but that was for more because of the large cam.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

I had a similar problem once, years ago before electronic ignition. My car ran fine on level ground but would stumble going uphill. The cause was a wire inside the distributor that would ground when the advance moved it around just right.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 AM

I appreciate all the feedback, I have adjusted the carb and reset the timing. Cap is new as well as the plugs and wires. Ran a little better but still hesitated and only when I punch it does it realy hesitate. As long as I just keep it cruising its fine but I try and burn rubber it starts coughing. I am thinking my next challenge is replacing the fuel pump and maybe even the relay assembly. Maybe then an electric fuel pump? It feels like maybe the fuel is not getting there fast enough, or enough of it. Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
It feels like maybe the fuel is not getting there fast enough, or enough of it.
Go back and read hcomptons' link. Especially the "The Idle, Transition and Accelerator Pump Circuits" and "Power Enrichment System" parts.

Bill

Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 PM
60-66 chevy truck nut

Last journal entry: Hood finally in paint
Last photo:

Did you adjust the linkage at the front of the carb? Which adjustment hole is it in right now?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Quote:
I appreciate all the feedback, I have adjusted the carb and reset the timing. Cap is new as well as the plugs and wires. Ran a little better but still hesitated and only when I punch it does it realy hesitate. As long as I just keep it cruising its fine but I try and burn rubber it starts coughing. I am thinking my next challenge is replacing the fuel pump and maybe even the relay assembly. Maybe then an electric fuel pump? It feels like maybe the fuel is not getting there fast enough, or enough of it. Thanks again.
I suggest the Thunder Series Carburator. They have a secondary air valve that can be adjusted.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Is the accerlerator pump at its max?

If you push the pedal down slowly will it let you go wot and not break up if you baby a little onthe way up?

If yes to both you may need a larger accelerator pump and/or Need to adjust the needles first since they can correct the problem with a little more fuel off idle. They are under a plate on the carb with a torques screw holding them in place. edelbrock will help you make changes manual is on the net for download as well and it has the proceedure well documented.

Vacum secondaries will not solve the problem even if they make it go away. The car needs more fuel in the mid range it will always be flat if the fuel is not there for it to make the power it needs even if it doesnt break up right away. Difference between running and tuned.

http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/C...0000019023.jpg
Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 AM

Carb is all tuned and dialed in. Very good reaction when I hit the gas. The hesitatioin comes more at higher RPMs as I took for a test drive last night. Had to baby the gas on the freeway and when I got off, stopped and went to accelerate the hesitation was very bad. Just seems as thought gas is not getting to the carb fast enough. I am going to install a new fuel pump later today. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for all the feedback.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

Just had the same problem with a QFT 750. Upped the squirter size from a 35 to a 40. No more hesitation. Don't know if you can do that with an edlebrock but you can with the holley.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.