Hey 4JawChuck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Hey 4JawChuck

Here are some pics of the new boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rod rack.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	59184   Click image for larger version

Name:	New boat 003.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	59185   Click image for larger version

Name:	New boat 001.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	59186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Team Geezer 002.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	59187   Click image for larger version

Name:	New boat 005.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	59188  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Niiiice! Liking that!
Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Lost in the 60's

Thanks Chuck.....I am having a good time with it.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

What kind of rod holders are those? I'm going to have trouble finding rod room on my rebuild and have been looking at all kinds of options but have never seen those style?

Bet she flies with a 90 out back!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Lost in the 60's

The rod transport racks are home made...a friend built the rack part and I built the stands and bases and rubber coated the racks. The rod holders are HiTeks they are made by a guy in Alabama.....They are the best that I have ever used. I have two T-bars with 4 holders each on the front of the boat and two T-bars at the back with 3 holders each. You can check them out at www.hitekstuff.com The 90 4 stroke moves the boat well 45 mph gps thats fast enough for this ole geezer.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Nice work Henry, thought they must be custom. Seems like there is a huge hole in this fishing hobby for decent quality equipment that will last, it's either plastic garbage like those fold out plastic cup holders that last maybe one trip before disintegrating or impossible to find like a battery hold down that is also a box, it either one or the other but never exactly what you want/need.

Hence why I am custom building, nothing out there is exactly what I want. Guess that make us hotrodders...never satisfied with what the factory/aftermarket offers.

Really would like to see other members boats to see their custom made mods, I should start a new thread before they are all put away for the winter.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Lost in the 60's

Thats a good idea. I have several more custom mods on mine. I just try to rig my boats where they are just more fishable and all these things just make life in the boat easier. Now I have to get busy and insulate my live well and put a timer on it.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

What is your boats rated passenger capacity Henry? I'm curious because mine was rated for 4 but we often had six in the boat with no issues even in big water where I was airborne a good portion of the time. I want my new setup to have seating space for 5 with maybe three pedestals, I'm pulling likely nearly 500 pds of wood out of the boat and replacing with composite and also filling in my OB cutout on the stern to avoid having wave wackers in the back.

When we chopped out the interior nearly every single piece of wood was wet, the deck even though it was sealed was soaked...this build I don't want any more wood. I bought this boat because it was so pristine for its age and obviously kept in a garage most its life and never left in the water. No more carpet for this guy, I'm sure its what caused the deck issues.

Your console is exactly what I want to build for mine, maybe I should call up SeaArk and see how much they want for one...sure save me a lot of time.

I'll try and get a pic today of my empty hull, two people can pick it up over their heads off the trailer now...nothing inside.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:09 AM
Lost in the 60's

Chuck....on my boat the live well is built into the front of the console , which I like because of the central location. OK....let me check my load rating and get back with you.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Lost in the 60's

OK....Its rated for 5 persons with a total weight capacity ( persons and gear) of 1285 lbs. I have two pedistal fishing seats on the front and one on the back. Its all welded aluminum, no wood anywhere, no carpet...I have a sprayed on rubberized non skid coating on the inside and floor of the boat and the outside is painted with a platnum color urethane paint. The only thing not aluminum is the console.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I was wondering if that seat in front of the console was a live well, mine was built into the side and designed to hold Muskies so it was over 48 inches long. No Muskies in my neck of the woods and the only fish big enough to fill it would be a Northern and I only fish them for sport with the kids so they have the experience of catching a big one...I'm not eating any 50 inch slimy Northerns!

Biggest fish I keep are around 18-20" and usually it's walleye and the odd bass which is rare unless I'm lookin for them, the central location in front of the console is nice...I'm going to call the company to see how much a complete console would cost with windshield. Bare fiberglass consoles usually start around 500$ so I would even be willing to pay $1K for a finished specimen.

For my boat I bought fiberglass pultrusions to make the transom from Strongwell composites, they are usually used as building panels but they fit my purpose perfectly. Double stacked and bonded offset 45 degrees will give me a 2" thick of hollow core "no wood" mounting for my 200HP Merc.

Since the boat should be capable of over 80 mph and is only 16 feet long I want solid construction and as little weight as possible, hoping to get the total hull weight complete minus batteries and motor around 5-600 pds.

Don't think I'll be able to get coast guard certification for this vessel, I ran all the specs through their formulas and no matter what I can't meet the spec unless I lengthen the boat 3 feet.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Lost in the 60's

Yep....your gonna have a hot rod boat for sure. I downsized the motor on this boat as I had a 115 four stroke on my other one....I decided to lighten some weight on the back this time and just went with a 90 four stroke. When I fish crappie tournaments we are not raceing down the lake to get to spots like the bass fisherman do so the 90 is just fine for my use.......still plenty of power to handle rough water when the wind gets up.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I originally had a 90 two stroke on my boat also, empty with a light fuel load I managed 55mph on GPS...definitely fast enough for me also. This motor kind of fell into my hands, they are not that common anymore and finding a fresh water example with low hours is nearly unheard of.

1991 was the first year for the FI 200 Merc and the only year they were 7 port, with a few mods they can easily put out 250HP. I wasn't really looking to upgrade as I had just bought this 2002 75 HP Merc that needed a little work, more investigation turned up that a simple carb swap would turn this motor into a 90.

I sourced the carb parts from a local wrecker that buys boats from auctions etc and soon had it running like a top and gained nearly 7 mph on the top end. When the 200 got listed in the local auto trader I put my 75/90HP engine up for sale to see if anyone was interested. A guy in British Columbia bought it and voila I had the money for the 200.

The 200 was actually owned by a preacher who had a number or high-PO boats, he replaced it with a 225 Yamaha and gained nothing in speed. I was just in the right place at the right time with money in hand, totally unplanned and not expecting someone three Provinces over would want
my 90 Merc.

Weird story of how I ended up with the motor, it just had the injectors flowed and reeds replaced...for a motor 11 years older it's in better shape than my 2002 Merc was. The 200 is only 75 pds heavier than the 90 as many of the parts in the leg are interchangeable, figured more power is always better but wanted to rebuild the boat to make it safe at the higher speeds it will be capable of.

Hence my journey into high speed watercraft, hadn't had any projects in a few years and my years working in composites in the aircraft industry would finally get a practical use. Needless to say it went from a simple transom reinforcement project to a complete gut and redesign in short order once I delved into the design aspect and stability at high speeds on water.

Not many people do this kind of project I am finding out mainly because there is no payback and buying new is so easy, but it will be unique...one of a kind and exactly what I need to fit my purpose which I wasn't finding with a major builder.

Of course this is exactly what hotrodders do, find a piece of junk...strip it to it's foundation and build it better that it was before. I get bored easily and had done domestic rods, import rods...boats I had never considered.

It's all rock and roll to me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.