Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hey Barry, Hey Martin 15 degree rule
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 09:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

The danger of speeding up the flash times is much more real than slowing them down. I have see VERY few failures do to waiting too long between coats, clears, yes,but not basecoat.

Brian
I agree. Piling on the products fast usually leads to piss poor performance.

AC/DC, I shot some primer surfacer today, applied three coats waiting 20 minutes between the first two and 30 minutes before applying the third. These panels that were primed will set for three or four weeks before they are final sanded. Could I have shot three coats on back to back with no flash time and not have any problems considering the 3-4week cure time before sanding? Probably. But with this job there's no sense in risking shrinkage so the 50 minutes of flash time is no big deal.

Collision work is a whole different story, products get pushed to the extreme. Example-Years ago I shot a complete with Chroma Premier in twenty minutes! I set the booth at 95 degrees, one coat of sealer, two coats of black base, and two coats of clear! Wet on wet, hit the bake, washed my guns, wiped the sweat off, and crossed my fingers- now that's product abuse! Not the right thing to do qualitywise for sure but surprisingly the job looked just fine when it came out of the booth and got delivered. Bob