Hot Rod Forum banner

Hey Blower People... (Non-Technical)

844 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  41willys 
#1 ·
Ready to purchase an 8-71 for the toy. I have been looking and looking at the kits from Dyers, The Blower Shop, Hampton, and Superchargers USA. For the life of me, I can't decide who to purchase from. I have somewhat narrowed it down to Dyers or The Blower Shop. Any recommendations from the people that already have experience with blowers?

Also looking at Mighty Demon boost referenced carbs and Quick Fuel blower carbs. Any information on these two? What to watch out for?

Give me some feed back, please!

Thanks, Jason

#2 ·
blower brand

41willys said:
Ready to purchase an 8-71 for the toy. I have been looking and looking at the kits from Dyers, The Blower Shop, Hampton, and Superchargers USA. For the life of me, I can't decide who to purchase from. I have somewhat narrowed it down to Dyers or The Blower Shop. Any recommendations from the people that already have experience with blowers?

Also looking at Mighty Demon boost referenced carbs and Quick Fuel blower carbs. Any information on these two? What to watch out for?

Give me some feed back, please!

Thanks, Jason
I purchased an 8-71 blower shop kit and it is the best kit in my opinion.It came with all components and was polished to a mirror finish.The only suggestion I would make is deciding how much boost you plan on running so you can get the right pulley combination.As far as carbs its all a matter of preference and how deep your pockets are.I have ran the holley 4150HP blower carbs and the holley #4779 boost referenced carbs both ran great.I have heard good things about the demons.There's a guy on ebay who sells both the blower shop blowers and demon carbs for excellent prices.His name is rich desbins,I bought my blower from him.

#3 ·
I saw his store, and he is high, high, high. I priced it out straight from The Blower Shop and came out just shy of $1000, for everything.

I am thinking of going with the Dyers, they seem to have a nice set up, and have been around a long time.

Jason

#4 ·
blower brand

41willys said:
I saw his store, and he is high, high, high. I priced it out straight from The Blower Shop and came out just shy of $1000, for everything.

I am thinking of going with the Dyers, they seem to have a nice set up, and have been around a long time.

Jason
I'm sure his prices have gone up since I bought mine in 07.My complete 8-71 kit for sbc was $3100.Dyers is an excellent brand and their prices are much better than all other brands.I also think Hampton blowers are good also and their prices are reasonable.

#7 ·
Jason,
I don't have any experience with either Blower Shop or Dyers, but I've heard good things about both. I got my 8-71 from BDS, and am satisfied with it. They have knowledgeable salespeople, and I've experienced no problems. Instruction manual was thorough, and their website has a lot if information. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those three. Weiand also has a nice setup, and good sales help.
As far as the carbs, I have two Mighty Demon blower carbs (650 cfm) and to be truthful, I've had the usual problems associated with them that have been talked about here on this site many times. I'm encountering problems dialing them in, with the main issue being an over-rich condition at idle. I'm working through the issues, but for me, these units were definitely not good-from-the-box carburetors. Do a search on Demon, and spend a few days reading all of the posts about Demon, both pro and con. Holley also makes some boost referenced blower carbs. They differ from the Demons in a few ways. Some of the models do not have the 4-corner idle that the Demons do, and I think they all come with the larger 50 cc accelerator pumps, whereas the Demons come with 30 cc pumps. Do your homework on these two brands before you decide...
One more thing, BDS does have a carb calibration service that will set up your blower carbs for you after you give them the information about your setup.
Hope this helps,
Steve

#8 · (Edited)
Chevrolet4x4s said:
A grand for the kit... ....thats gotta be a mistake. :confused:

Shane
It was about $1000 less than what the price was posted.. We are currently working a deal right now though. Just can't get over the looks of the Blower Shop components. Very nice looking and everybody I have spoken with loves them...

Steve, thanks for the information. I will be going with the Demons. I am a little nervous about that also. I have spoken to a buddy of mine that I have not seen for some time now, but he is great with blower motors. He said he can set them up, so I will give it a shot...

Jason

#9 ·
Well, decided to go with the Blower Shop 8-71. Should hopefully have it next week sometime. Thanks Steve and BORTI for the information, it helped put me over on the decision. Now hopefully installation and tuning will go smoothly and all will be o.k.

Jason

#10 ·
Hey Jason,

Can I jack your thread a little? I too am considering a blower for my LS1. It depends on so many things though. Has anyone seen BDS's blower set-up for the LS1 in action? Does anyone know if anyone else is making a blower for the LS1? I don't care for the Magnesson unit. If I go that route to retain the fuel injection I'll go with twin turbo's. I'm wondering if I should ditch the fuel injection for the blower.....as high as fuel is now? :confused: Even with a properly tuned dual quad and blower my thoughts of any kind of fuel economy are out the window....correct? I'm just going off of what little I've read about the volumetric efficiency of a blower verses fuel injection. Any thoughts.....anyone? Bueler....Bueler....Bueler? :D

I ask these questions because I have never drove or known anyone with a blower. I feel deprived. So if I sound naive....I am. If I stay out of the throttle and drive it like a normal car (may be hard to do.... :D ) will it be any more fuel efficient.....or am I just dreaming?

Dave

#11 ·
Good question, but I have no clue about the fuel economy. Mine is already a pig now, so if it gets worse. o.k., if it gets better o.k.

I have only seen information about the LS1 blowers, but have not seen anything in person.

Only thing that I have heard is that blowers with carbs function much better than fuel injected units for street driven vehicles. Again, only heard.

Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.