Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - hey do i need to brase the cab of my short cab pic up befor lifting it off my frame
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by unstable
I can't speak from personal experience, BUT wouldn't it make sense IF you were chopping the top to actually brace it, as you're "breaking" the structure?
I have chopped MANY cars, never braced a single one. Here is how I see it, YOU are in complete control on where that body goes when you cut the roof off. All you do is move it where you want and clamp it when you weld it. Bracing it, "may" actually cause you trouble because it is held where you don't want it!

I do complete door "appature" replacement on late model cars where you are replacing the entire side of the car, no bracing again. I just "support" it with a jack so it doesn't fall it, being it is quite weak. I then put the new parts in place and move the roof into place until all parts fit perfect and weld it in. Sure there are times when bracing is used, I am not saying it isn't. I am just saying that I have read over and over in the forums where people are bracing doors when pulling bodies and it just isn't needed. I have done convertibles, the body is strong enough if it isn't rusted. If you do something stupid like rest the body on a four by four in the center and leave it there for a week, yes your body may go out of shape, but short of that, don't worry about it.