hey do i need to brase the cab of my short cab pic up befor lifting it off my frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 05:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question hey do i need to brase the cab of my short cab pic up befor lifting it off my frame

hey i just got a 1988 dodge dakota 3.9L and im looking to make my pick up one of a kind and i was wondering what are the steps to lifting the cab (like do i need to brace the cab??) and when im done doing the body work on my cab i want to chop the top but im not sure how much i should chop off to get that sweet look ??

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

Welcome to Hotrodders. Moving this thread to a more appropriate forum to get you some better exposure and help for your question.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:52 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

not sure on the particulars of your truck, but what's involved is,
  • disconnect all wiring
  • disconnect all linkage (tranny, throttle, clutch, brakes etc....)
  • unbolt the cab.
  • if the doors are on and closed, no bracing should be required, if doors are off, then bracing might be needed. if it's a good solid cab, i wouldn't worry to much about it. I've removed old ford cabs without doors or bracing, and they stayed straight.
  • pick that heavy mutha up.

it is possible i forgot something, if i did, someone will let me and you know.....
Old 07-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

There is no need what so ever to brace that cab unless the rockers and floor is weakened by rust or something. Take the doors off so it is lighter and pull the cab with four or five guys, no problem.

Bracing bodies is way overblown. Unless you do something stupid there is no need. If you use common sense you just are not going to damage it.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Murderator

Last photo:

I can't speak from personal experience, BUT wouldn't it make sense IF you were chopping the top to actually brace it, as you're "breaking" the structure?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:24 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

if you were to chop the top with the body off the frame, yes, brace it. if it's rusted, or thin old sheet metal, brace it, but the newer stuff is thick enough that it really shouldn't need it.

Quote:
from MARTINSR
unless the rockers and floor is weakened by rust or something.
thats right.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:56 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Yep...what they said. No need to brace the cab. Make sure everything is unhooked before you lift it off. If you chop the top get some reading material first. There is way more to it than just cutting out a few inches and welding the lid back on. The windshield pillers will move, the windshield will beed to be cut, the door glass frame will all have to be reangled to match the now moved windshield pillars. etc, etc, etc. Shop around and you may be able to find one already chopped. Usually they get to the stage where the glass needs to be put in and that is it. Stuff went wrong and now there is another project for sale.

Kevin
Old 07-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by unstable
I can't speak from personal experience, BUT wouldn't it make sense IF you were chopping the top to actually brace it, as you're "breaking" the structure?
I have chopped MANY cars, never braced a single one. Here is how I see it, YOU are in complete control on where that body goes when you cut the roof off. All you do is move it where you want and clamp it when you weld it. Bracing it, "may" actually cause you trouble because it is held where you don't want it!

I do complete door "appature" replacement on late model cars where you are replacing the entire side of the car, no bracing again. I just "support" it with a jack so it doesn't fall it, being it is quite weak. I then put the new parts in place and move the roof into place until all parts fit perfect and weld it in. Sure there are times when bracing is used, I am not saying it isn't. I am just saying that I have read over and over in the forums where people are bracing doors when pulling bodies and it just isn't needed. I have done convertibles, the body is strong enough if it isn't rusted. If you do something stupid like rest the body on a four by four in the center and leave it there for a week, yes your body may go out of shape, but short of that, don't worry about it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.