Hot Rod Forum banner

Hey Doc try this one ? ?

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
We drove the 1938 LaFayette to the Indianapolis Goodguy's show today and everything was great. Went to move the car and all four turn signal light stayed on, but no turn signals or flasher. even with ignition switch off all four light stayed on. Now that car is home, the light have gone off but still no turn signals or flashers. BUT when you step on brake pedal all four light come on, still no turn signals AND the electric aux. fan comes on at half speed?? I am not sure where to start looking for problem but I am going to start in fan circuit to see why fan only runs at about half speed and why it is in brake light circuit.? ? ? Any suggestions would be appreciated... THERESA I am afraid to honk horn, it may blow wheels off...

#2 ·
New addition: When we turn on switch for Aux. electric fan, second set of front turn signal ( have two sets of front turn signals) come on and fan runs at half speed. Half speed might be caused by lamp load being in same circuit and eating up some of the voltage. Car was recently in Body Shop but all seemed okay in drive home and was NSRA Inspected about three weeks ago?? Confusing..... THANKS.... THERESA

#3 ·
HEY! Did solve fan problem. Found that front turn signal and Aux. fan had common ground wire and it had come loose. Aux. fan is back at full speed and second set of front turn signals don't come on. Still have problem of no turn signal and all four light coming on when brake pedal is depressed ? ? ? Think that be something in flasher circuit?? THERESA

#5 ·
Short

Doc here, :pimp:

Sounds like you may have a short in the steering column , column plug or the flasher switch itself.

This is the Only place both those circuits have common contact. Is this an aftermarket column? like a GM ADJUSTABLE? Those usually chafe and short at the column universal inside...

THE CLUE here is when you step on he bakes all four lights come on..

The only other way those two circuits could have common contact would be if you put a single Filament lamp in a duel element socket.

Also, Something like a rear seat spring or spare tire cutting the harness and shorting it..I should think were that the case, you'd blow fuses too..

Ohm out (by now you should be failure with this drill..) the column harness for switch and brake lights, be sure none have contact to each other, or eliminate any you find (signal switch off)

Check to insure proper grounding all the way from flasher to lamps...(you may have a "Loaded ground" robbing power from a nearby series ground...(like you had with the fan...classic example...) Then check the fuse..because if you draw source power in series through a nearby circuit...and it's not semi conductor (or polarity sensitive) you can almost bet source power is open.

You said it was in the body shop, would the happened to change any bulbs? That would be another clue...

Doc :pimp:

#7 ·
Doc: Here is another hint. We did notice that ocassionaly both turn indicators would glow ( they are LED in digital panel) but turn signals always worked when needed? I wonder what was causing them to glow? Must of have been power leaking to ground somewhere for both to glow??? THERESA

#8 ·
Hey Doc:
Solved problem!! Pulled steering wheel and moved wires around and everything started to work correctly. I guess you were right in that problem was in tilt steering column. I would hate to take that thing apart, WOW so many little parts that look very delicate to work with..... THERESA

#9 ·
turn signals

Doc here, :pimp:

I had a feeling you'd find it there...Common problem in tilts.

It's not as hard as it looks..use a digital camera if necessary, to map disassembly, once you get the mechanical out of the way, It's easy to slip the harness / switch ring out and repair or replace.

The Glowing L.E.D is indicative of a reverse bias on the diode...could have been caused by the harness, but also a faulty Charge system (very first signs) may be the cause.

Keep us posted on the progress!

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.