Hey, I could really use some advice! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 03:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hey, I could really use some advice!

So I have a 76' Camaro 350 and all of the stupid exhaust control stuff is making me mad. I'm gonna pull the engine and rebuild it. So I was wondering if I got some new parts(intake manifold, etc...) I could eliminate the parts that are killing my horsepower. If I did get rid of these and rebuilt the engine would I still be able to pass emissions? Could I even do it? Should I just keep saving and buy a crate(sorry if I seem kinda ignorant I just turned 17 and don't have anyone to talk to about this stuff)?
-Thomas

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTallCeltic
So I have a 76' Camaro 350 and all of the stupid exhaust control stuff is making me mad. I'm gonna pull the engine and rebuild it. So I was wondering if I got some new parts(intake manifold, etc...) I could eliminate the parts that are killing my horsepower. If I did get rid of these and rebuilt the engine would I still be able to pass emissions? Could I even do it? Should I just keep saving and buy a crate(sorry if I seem kinda ignorant I just turned 17 and don't have anyone to talk to about this stuff)?
-Thomas

hey buddy, you've come to the right place! Welcome aboard.

Why do you want to rebuild the motor? Is it all worn out? If I were you, that would be the last thing I would want to do because of cost and involvement. You may be able to freshen up the motor that's in there.

Furthermore, you can kill two birds with one stone if you have emissions requirements to worry about. Just buy the 50 state legal parts as upgrades. You can get headers and intakes, as well as carbs that will work with stock emissions stuff, that way you don't have to grit your teeth at the emissions checkup. You should gain some power too.

Lastly, for about 1500-2000 dollars you can rebuild the motor, for about 1/4 that you could upgrade your rear end gears and feel double the improvement.

Best of luck-

K
Old 05-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Tell ya what... look around this site and search for 350 build ups then go HERE and look over some of the combos. It will give you a good idea of the kinda power you can make.
If you really feel that you can do the work and such go ahead and get the parts. Changing intake, adding headers, new cam, carb., That kinda stuff you can do on your own. You can also very easily add heads.
If the engine is smoking or has lots of miles on it you may want to think about rebuilding the entire thing or going for the crate engine.
As for em. you can always run HI flow cats. It won't kill your power and you can pass em. without a problem. Or if you like you can make them removable and put straight pipes in after the test.
A few other thing to think about are the rest of the upgrades needed. I don't know what trans. is behind the negine now but if that is owrn or anything you may want to think about having that rebuilt or at least getting something that can hold up to what you put infront of it. New rear end gears will give you a great feeling at the wheel. You want to be careful that the rear can handle the power as well.

Chris
Old 05-28-2005, 05:19 PM

Thanks a lot both of you. I really don't need to rebuild the engine. I thought it might be fun. I don't think I'd ever finish if I had decided to. It only has 120,000 miles and it has been taken care of very well. I have a vacum leak and my airconditioning went out... thats really it. I like the idea of just getting a really good cat. cause the one thats on there right now is like the same size as the gas tank. Thanks again for your advice! I really appreciate it.
-Thomas
Old 05-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

No problem,
Forgot to ask but I assumed that it had a carb. The one thing you can do is get air flowing in there. Add headers it is a pretty easy to do job even though it will be a tight fit. If you add headers and a free flowing exhaust you should be pretty good. Add a muffler and cat. I believe that the Camaro only fit single exhaust under it it went from headers to Y pipe and then single. You could get exhaust run that is mandrel bent. This should liven things up a bit and make your car sound much better. Next would be air cleaner if yours still has the black box air cleaner you may want to think about an open element one it makes things look a little better and should inprove air flow.

Chris
Old 05-28-2005, 05:32 PM

Oh yeah another question. Changing my rear end gears... Is that easy? Could I do it with out having to spend a ton of money(a ton of money for me is like anything over 800 or 900 dollars). Just to check by rear end gears you mean the ones in the differential...? Sorry... I'm really new to this whole "hot rod" thing. My dad knows what he is doing but he wont tell me anything unless my car absolutely isn't working.
-Thomas
Old 05-28-2005, 05:34 PM

My exhaust goes from the manifolds into one pipe which goes into the cat and then one pipe out the cat and into the muffler where it splits into 2.
-Thomas
Old 05-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

i will disagree about the gears( as usual ). you dont need to do that, do you understand the positives how they happen, and the negatives?

go title and register the vehicle as antique. should cost about $20. then you never have to worry about emssions again. at least by me.

tear that junk off.....nicely. you can probaly remove the whole egr pipe. use a plate and plug to seal the holes.

i would start with headers and a aluminum intake. if you build the performer style package engine, you have a lot of room to make errors. low spring pressures and low compression are a easy turning happy mill. the sbc 350 is the perfect motor to learn on. i strongly suggest building it mildly. do everything yourself!

how fast are you looking to go 14's, 13's?...

strikingthematch that site has some very unusual combos. i like 78 . lol, 390hp with a 8.75:1 and the XE268.

Last edited by spinn; 05-28-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:55 PM

HAHAHA I like it! It has a title right now though. One of the things I really want to get rid of is the EGR Valve? The thing that reuses the exhaust. I think thats just stupid. I deffinately agree I need to increase my airflow. My grandpa took off the cool air intake way back when the car was new. So it draws a lot of hot air in from the engine. Stock air cleaner. Would a K&N Filter be a good choice? or is there something else you might suggest. Nothing new has been put on the car in 18 years besides a new air filter, belts, fuel filters(i cut up the fuel line and put a inline filter in), a new choke, a new gas tank, and new plugs. Oh wow. I have done more than I thought. I also did a complete brake job. Replaced the whole brake system.
-Thomas
Old 05-28-2005, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

these guys giving you advice are a great bunch of guys. trust their wisdom on the buildup. It's a question of how stringent the emissions requirements are and how you can make pieces that can be eliminated or blocked of by plates for egr or flanged cats to be able to bolt in a bypass pipe after the test. It sad, but necessary if you are going to alter any of the original emmisions. Some people have two engines! it's not so bad to pull an engine! Just have lots of beer on hand to keep you friends motivated. It will influence your decisions with camshaft and fuel mixture. It sounds like you are doing the important stuff like brakes and more importantly to consider, steering components!(ball joints,tie rods,shocks,body mounts,springs etc.) you be surprised how a few bucks and a whole lot of effort can improve the ride and handling of the vehicle. Great link by the way match.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Your off to a good start. A few things to keep in mind are this, your car does NOT work just around the engine. It is a machine and as with any machine it has many parts working together. So when you up your engine you have to think about the rest of the car. If your going to go faster you want to make sure you can stop...
If your engine is putting out more power can you cool that engine
If your engine is spinning the tires can you stop that and not break the rear
if your putting out enough power to twist your frame how can you stop that.
If your making lots of power can the tran. handle it
The whole idea in hot rodding becomes how can I make something better generally this is after you have a problem be it not enoug power or anything else I listed.

What are you thinking about doing with the car? This really depends how radical an engine your going to build and collectively how your car must be built.

Chris
Old 05-29-2005, 01:16 AM

Once again I really appreciate all your advice. Pretty much I want to make my 76' 350 perform more like the 350s in the 60's Camaros. I think I only have 160 or 165 horsepower. My friend drives his moms 2004 Le Sabre and he thought it would be funny to race... he deffinately won. I'm looking to have more around 260-300 horsepower. Besides that I just want the engine to be reliable and the car to look trick. Oh and I live in Arizona so I deffinately need to fix my airconditioning. The compressors fine but it leaks out the evaporator. My next task that im gonna undertake though is suspension. Put in some tublar control arms and sway bars all that good stuff.
-Thomas
Old 05-29-2005, 01:24 AM

Also does anyone have fuel mixture suggestions?!! i have a rochester 4 barrel and I turned the idle mixture screws out 4 and a half turns. SO... also when I start the car it stays on fast idle after the choke opens all the way and if I'm not careful when I put it in gear it stalls. Its an automatic so it isn't me not being able to drive.
-Thomas
Old 05-29-2005, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with rochesters. you may want to check the timing for the stalling condition. I use a vacuum gauge to adjust my mixture screws, and carefully move the screws until I achieve the highest vacuum possible.vac gauges are cheap too. may also help your stalling condition.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:04 PM

I already have a vacum gauge. Thanks I didnt know to do that.
-Thomas

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.