Hey mig welders... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 06:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hey mig welders...

I have some questions about Mig welding. I've read much archived info here..and based on that took the plunge yesderay abd cut off my cab corners off my 55 Chevy truck..that I've"been workin on" for 25 years...Started withan air operated cut-off tool..but my air storage isn't sufficient and often ran out of air..maybe I need to add a 200 gallon storage tank..

Anyway, although there's no substitute for experience, I'm tryingto understand MIG the best I can ahead of time to improve my chances. I've notice some outfits will take smaller wire..somewhere around .015 I believe..while others are around .024 somewhere. Would the thinner wire melt faster lessening the likelyhood of burn through?

Thanks,

Keith

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 03:02 PM

Try going to www.jwharris.com they have a wire called 20 gauge. It is .030 flux core that you use with 75/25 gas it can weld down to 28 ga. sheet metal with no burn through.

Roy
Old 08-15-2004, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Slick- The jwharris 20 gauge wire is a really good choice for thin panels as it will make a very clean and flat weld that will require less grinding than solid wire. Just remember three important things-make sure the metal is CLEAN, that is no paint(weld thru coatings and some primers are ok),oil or rust. Next be sure that there is no draft at the weld area as even a light breeze will contaminate your shielding gas and ruin your weld, try to weld indoors if at all possible, and last always keep a pair of wire cutters handy so you can snip the end of the wire prior to starting each weld. That last one is often overlooked and causes the wire to "buck and sputter" as those in the trade would say and can cause the wire to tangle at the feed rollers. If it doesn't seem to work for you at first just keep at it and you will be a pro in no time. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2004, 05:27 AM

Hey Red thanks for the pointers. I planned on sanding any paint in the area..But I'm wondering if that shiny black coating the replacement cab corners are shipped with is weldable?

Drafts?..I'll be in a garage...That was my incentive for finally cleaning the garage..lol

Never thought about wire cutters...still have to but a MIG..I'm sure soon as I get these panels off..the money will be burnin a hole in my pocket..

Thanks again,

Keith

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.