Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hey Phat....need more clues???
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2002, 09:20 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs up

Sorry i did not see your post Poco. Glad it turned out for you. You are correct with the castor if you have manual steering you probable would not want anymore than 4 degrees.(can you believe Brent still will not do this on his stuff? one of the reasons i dont use overweight stuff anymore) I really will have to look at the bills tonite and see what rod ends i used.I just may have used heim joints so i could use a bolt and spacer to correct for bump steer. i never used to use heim joints as they got full of dirt and the average guy would not take care of them ,but they make seals for them now and i use them all the time . Frontends /4 links/sway bars. Let me see what i did for stock tie rods though cause i know i did not rethread them. Glad you can drive it now. Have fun this summer ..maybe we will meet somewere on the road someday. dont forget with radial tires to play with air pressure for the best ride and slow steering.You can go as high as 38 lbs (i have some with 42 lbs but thats not something the tire people would recomend)of air in the front if it does not change the ride real bad...that will make slow steering much better but at the cost of ride. Sorry again i did not see your post. Just one more thing i will say about the pressure reducer that is sold as a fix all.....It dont do what you think.Dont believe me? Put a gauge on the high pressure side..all it does is slow the transistion of pressure(i cant spell worth a crap sorry)it does NOT reduce pressure.(sorta like the proportioning valve they sell for brakes) The cheap and dirty way is to take the valve apart in the GM pump and play with the shims.Now that does change pressures. In the end ..change the rack and put some castor in it and your on your way.(for you non belivers go try a ford pump the steering is still to go cart like) Keep a close eye out as i have talked to a couple of manufactures that will be making slower racks which will fix these problems. WOW did i get carried away!!! I guess i just like this stuff. LOL back to work.

[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: Phat ]</p>