Hot Rod Forum banner

Hey there! Building a 327 and would like some opinions...

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  techinspector1 
#1 ·
The one thing I ask is that you NOT tell me to build a 350. I was given this 327 from a friend and it is the project my son and I want to work with. We have a 68 327, a set of Vortec heads and a 2 speed powerglide. We are working on putting this all into a 74 Vega Wagon. I would like advice on intake/carb/cam. This car is going to go to the dragstrip with my 17 year old and will only be driven on the street to get it to the track, street manners are not a big issue. I am asking my son to work and pay for the things he needs now, as I got him the car, the engine, tranny and a few other parts so please keep in mind that he will be on a limited budget. I will help him as I see him putting time and effort in.

Anyhow, thannks for the advice in advance!

#2 ·
Why not just build a 350?

You know I had to do it.
Now, do you want to buzz this little 327 to make some serious power? That will require expensive parts in the bottom end and valvetrain. Or are you thinking a motor with flat tappet hydraulic cam and a rev limit of 6000? Need to make a plan either way. Or maybe you have a different idea?

#5 ·
The heads are going to require work being done to the guide boss and if you are wanting to run much lift, the studs will need to be changed over to screw in. These heads are made to work w/self aligning rocker arms, you can swap over to non SA rockers, but then you need guide plates, so have a plan before you talk to your machinist.

Stock Vortec head ports are OK for up around 450 HP, or so I have read- likely as not, that's by over camming the engine for making peak power as opposed to a cam profile that has some bottom end/more street friendly.

A lot of info on Vortec heads and mods to them, etc. is HERE.

AFA building the car to be streetable enough to drive to and from the track- that's a lot of hassle (registration, tags, insurance, extra equipment bought and installed, swapping street tires for drag slicks, loading/unloading/reloading tools and what have you at home and at the track, etc.) just to drive to the track. You'd be better off buying a trailer, IMHO.

#6 ·
I would use the following:
10 to 10.5:1 cr piston (with 64cc head).
4.11 gear
3500 stall
292H compcam with proper valve springs and head work that vortec heads need to run more than 0.450 lift.
regular RPM intake
3310 holley 750,
1-5/8 inch long tube headers
dual 2-1/2 inch exhaust with hooker aerochambers and a H-pipe
msd hei
arp rod bolts
use torque plate on the bore and get a balance job
and use oil additive with your new flat tappet cam (zddplus.com)

I wouldn't use a power glide for this application. A th350 would be much better.

And much better to use a crank with 3.48 inch stroke. The bigger the engine you build, the more mild the setup can be (gears, stall, cam, and compression). But I know you don't want to hear it, just can't help myself.

#7 ·

Do what you would do to a 350. i built a 350 of my own and a 327 for a friend. Both had the same cam, heads, intake and carb and guess what, they ran almost identical. Go with what you know and you'll be fine. Only if you';re talking about high horsepower, will it make a difference and that could be marginal.

#8 ·
with stock old school gm heads, the difference in hp between a 327 and a 350 is zero (head limited). However, the 350 will make more torque.

But, with a good set of heads (vortecs qualify as a good set), a 350 will make about 7% more power than a 327. On a 350hp build that is 25 more hp.

#9 ·
Build it as you would a 350 and you'll be fine.I would use forged pistons unless you want to limit rpm to 6000. If I planned to build a bracket race motor out of a 327.I would go flat top forged pistons, moly rings, rebuilt rods with arp rod bolts,[ DON'T SKIP] Use steel oil pump shaft [ALSO DON'T SKIP]Double roller timing chain. Call a cam company and let them pick your cam by your cars specs. Have the heads set up for about 550 lift for a flat tappet or hyd. cam your choice.Single 4brl. carb. no bigger then 750 and I would go vacum sec.Good hei or msd dist.1"5/8 headers. Even with forged pistons keep max rpm around 6500.You should'nt need more than that anyway if car is set up right.I second the 350 trans. but be sure the guy that builds it knows what he's doing.10" slicks and this package should put you in mid 11's in a vega.When frist built mine with a budget 377 in it 450 hp It ran 11.30 like clock work.

#13 ·
Hey all!

Sorry for taking so long to get back in here.

Yes, I am on a limited budget. Not because I am broke or cheap, but because my son needs to earn what he gets to a certain degree.

As far as the heads go my father in law called and said he is mailing some camel-humps up from Texas for us to get worked over so rather than modifying the Vortecs.

Thanks for all the advice, we are tearing the engine down now and I will get back in here more.

We are going to start from a stripped block and see where we can go.

#14 ·
Nitelife76 said:
As far as the heads go my father in law called and said he is mailing some camel-humps up from Texas for us to get worked over so rather than modifying the Vortecs.
The camel humps were all the rage previous to aftermarket heads and L31 Vortec heads being introduced in 1996. Today, they are third-rate heads at best.

2-speed trans for car weight under 2800. 3-speed trans for car weight over 2800.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.