Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hey TucsonJay, how the heck do you do this custom paint?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Just an observation :I dont think this was done by a probut more someone thats done it a few times and learning as they go because a pro would have laid out the stripes equally from the center line,clearly the drivers side stripe is closer to the body line than the other so think, how would an amiture do it ???To much paint is a good start...
That is such a common mistake made by people putting on stripes, especially SS stripes...and I bet if you measure, the difference from side to side is the width of the fine line tape they used to lay out the stripes.

There's a thread that was on this site about a fellow wanting to know if SS stripes would be OK even if his Chevelle wasn't an SS...the first bit of advice I gave him was to be sure that the stripes where centered...it just seems as though 5 out 10 SS stripes that are painted on end up with one side being closer to the center line of the hood than the other.

I love the advice you gave as to thinking about how an amature would have done it...clearly it wasn't a pro. Sometimes the hardest repair, is to copy a paint job that doesn't follow usual painting procedures. When it's custom work, well that just makes it even more difficult.

I've made custom colors for people...I always made sure that they had a formula so that they could duplicate it. Mike, I've read your posts on repairing the rocker on your Camaro, you pointed out that leaving your spot welds visible helps the next body man do his job that much easier. I've done a lot of flame work on vehicles...I make a point of giving the customer detailed instructions on colors inside the flames, blending techniques and if it's a tri coat ghost flame job, how the mid coat is applied. In this case Brian, it's going to be trial and error on test panels using marballizer and saran wrap until it gets close enough for the customer to accept it.

Did something fairly close to this a few years ago, have your painter try folding the saran wrap like an accordion about every 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then fold it in the other direction about every 2 inches...unravel the saran wrap and place it on the area, with marballizer, that your trying to match...it should be fairly close...the pattern anyway, now you need to match the color. I've been reading this thread with great interest, I don't know if I have the solution, because what I did was more uniform but, it's marballizer and the unevenness of the paint is a bonus when your trying to match what you have.

I hope this helps Brian.

Ray