Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hey TucsonJay, how the heck do you do this custom paint?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
Thanks Ray, my co-worker has a lot of passion on the subject. I know in the few times I have done custom repairs where I sanded the clear coat and the mid coat candy or the pearl off exposing the base coat. Matched the color on of the base then just as our painter is going to do spray a bunch of samples to come up with a user. Of course, some worked, some were "close" but doing this a number of times produced real good matches I was thrilled. One time I remember it was a van conversion company and I called this company to see what pearl they used. It was "Murano" (Sp?) and it wasn't available anymore. This was a REAL nice pearl that I guess had some EPA problem or something and the stuff was just discontinued, wham, gone. I went to a local custom painter to see if he had some. I think the dude had a problem with the hard stuff, he buzzed over to his pearls and poured off some of this gold Murano pearl into a cleaned out little bottle and asked me for five bucks. It turned out great and was down the road. I still have it on my "garage God" display in my garage.

He wasn't there long, don't remember his name at all, like I said I believe he had some serious demons.

Brian