Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hey TucsonJay, how the heck do you do this custom paint?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Many Painters seem to have demons like that, I don't know if it's stress related because the painter is the last line of defense when it comes to doing a repair or if it's all the chemicals that they've been exposed to. One painter told me that he drank a bottle of Vodka every day just to clean out his system...I asked if he ever tried wearing a mask when he painted. I've known many a painter that either had to leave the trade or got sick and left us completely, mainly due to inhaling all the poisons related to painting cars. It seemed to be the old school lacquer painters that often refused to wear any breathing apparatus to save their lungs.

Up here in Canada, we have a Poly Urethane paint called Endura. One of the toughest paints I've ever seen but, deadly. The reduction ratio was 1 to 1...1 part paint to 1 part of the nastiest Isocyanate Hardner I have ever see. This product was used to refinish Semi's and a lot of guys would paint their trucks with it as well. One day I was making my usual sales calls and went to a local Semi repair shop and walked into the booth, all I could see was a black paint fog lingering in the air, all I could feel was that uncured paint sticking to the bottom of my shoes and I'm calling the painters name, nothing, no response. Finally I saw a pair of legs sticking out from underneath the cab, the painter was out cold. He had been painting part of the frame with Endura by crawling under the truck...no mask on, he didn't even have the exhaust fans on. I drug him outside and finally got him breathing again. After that episode he had tingling on the left side of his body that never went away. The Doctors told him that he had isocyanate poisoning and that the last experience is when the body finally shut down. He died 5 years later of lung cancer...he always told me that he had built up a tolerance to isocyanates and didn't need to wear a mask and that he drank a Mickey of Whiskey every night, again, to clean out his system.

There seem to be a number of demons out there and I'm sure that many people have their own stories that would be similar to the one I just told...but to any young painter out there, it's serious and today there aren't any excuses for not wearing the proper equipment.

Ray