Hey TucsonJay, how the heck do you do this custom paint? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nice work Jay. Brian,You also realize the cost of marblizer as well,so good call on the "expert" analysis. As Koz told me years back,This is why it's called Custom Painting son.I give you the "product",It's up to YOU as to WHAT you do with it.Surprise me someday.Still working on that one. Still dig those big girl FISHNET panty hose....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

now why and the hell would a production shop take that job? makes no sense at all. collision job?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Just an observation :I dont think this was done by a probut more someone thats done it a few times and learning as they go because a pro would have laid out the stripes equally from the center line,clearly the drivers side stripe is closer to the body line than the other so think, how would an amiture do it ???To much paint is a good start...
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 06:57 AM

Last photo:

I think you should do the guy a favor and repaint the complete stripes, and just use the saran wrap techique, would sure look a lot better than that mess imho.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Fool For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Just an observation :I dont think this was done by a probut more someone thats done it a few times and learning as they go because a pro would have laid out the stripes equally from the center line,clearly the drivers side stripe is closer to the body line than the other so think, how would an amiture do it ???To much paint is a good start...
Good point, it doesn't change a whole lot, if we do it we still need to figure out how. We have a custom painter we work with who will probably end up doing it but this co-worker is such a great gu and he loves doing custom paint, we are slow, I was hoping I could push to have him do it. He has done some outstanding stuff just not this particular thing. He is more of a traditionalist but he has a lot of heart and likes messing with things so I have pushed to do it in house.

Brian
Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

About 30 yrs ago I had a car come in that had damage on a couple of scallops and (what I thought was) acetylene sooted scallops! I couldn't match it no matter how hard I tried the soot just wouldnt lay or look the same so they paid to have all the scallops re painted and I re painted and re sooted them all with acetylene and the customer was happy! A few years later at a show the car was there I was talking to the owner when a guy came up who said "that used to be my car" and he was talking to us about the repainted scallops he said that they used the soot off of burning pieces of plastic from model car kits (like AMT)Well LOLthats why I couldnt match the patern, boldness or thickness of the soot LOL! By the way that plastic soot was a really cool affect !!!!

Jester
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
That is such a common mistake made by people putting on stripes, especially SS stripes...and I bet if you measure, the difference from side to side is the width of the fine line tape they used to lay out the stripes.

There's a thread that was on this site about a fellow wanting to know if SS stripes would be OK even if his Chevelle wasn't an SS...the first bit of advice I gave him was to be sure that the stripes where centered...it just seems as though 5 out 10 SS stripes that are painted on end up with one side being closer to the center line of the hood than the other.

I love the advice you gave as to thinking about how an amature would have done it...clearly it wasn't a pro. Sometimes the hardest repair, is to copy a paint job that doesn't follow usual painting procedures. When it's custom work, well that just makes it even more difficult.

I've made custom colors for people...I always made sure that they had a formula so that they could duplicate it. Mike, I've read your posts on repairing the rocker on your Camaro, you pointed out that leaving your spot welds visible helps the next body man do his job that much easier. I've done a lot of flame work on vehicles...I make a point of giving the customer detailed instructions on colors inside the flames, blending techniques and if it's a tri coat ghost flame job, how the mid coat is applied. In this case Brian, it's going to be trial and error on test panels using marballizer and saran wrap until it gets close enough for the customer to accept it.

Did something fairly close to this a few years ago, have your painter try folding the saran wrap like an accordion about every 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then fold it in the other direction about every 2 inches...unravel the saran wrap and place it on the area, with marballizer, that your trying to match...it should be fairly close...the pattern anyway, now you need to match the color. I've been reading this thread with great interest, I don't know if I have the solution, because what I did was more uniform but, it's marballizer and the unevenness of the paint is a bonus when your trying to match what you have.

I hope this helps Brian.

Ray
Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Ray, my co-worker has a lot of passion on the subject. I know in the few times I have done custom repairs where I sanded the clear coat and the mid coat candy or the pearl off exposing the base coat. Matched the color on of the base then just as our painter is going to do spray a bunch of samples to come up with a user. Of course, some worked, some were "close" but doing this a number of times produced real good matches I was thrilled. One time I remember it was a van conversion company and I called this company to see what pearl they used. It was "Murano" (Sp?) and it wasn't available anymore. This was a REAL nice pearl that I guess had some EPA problem or something and the stuff was just discontinued, wham, gone. I went to a local custom painter to see if he had some. I think the dude had a problem with the hard stuff, he buzzed over to his pearls and poured off some of this gold Murano pearl into a cleaned out little bottle and asked me for five bucks. It turned out great and was down the road. I still have it on my "garage God" display in my garage.

He wasn't there long, don't remember his name at all, like I said I believe he had some serious demons.

Brian
Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

I think "Murano" was the trade name used by Metalflake Company. They still exist, selling primarily raw flake in many colors.

HOK "Flip-Flop" pearls would be the same principle... but the shades available may or may not match the Metalflake colors.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Many Painters seem to have demons like that, I don't know if it's stress related because the painter is the last line of defense when it comes to doing a repair or if it's all the chemicals that they've been exposed to. One painter told me that he drank a bottle of Vodka every day just to clean out his system...I asked if he ever tried wearing a mask when he painted. I've known many a painter that either had to leave the trade or got sick and left us completely, mainly due to inhaling all the poisons related to painting cars. It seemed to be the old school lacquer painters that often refused to wear any breathing apparatus to save their lungs.

Up here in Canada, we have a Poly Urethane paint called Endura. One of the toughest paints I've ever seen but, deadly. The reduction ratio was 1 to 1...1 part paint to 1 part of the nastiest Isocyanate Hardner I have ever see. This product was used to refinish Semi's and a lot of guys would paint their trucks with it as well. One day I was making my usual sales calls and went to a local Semi repair shop and walked into the booth, all I could see was a black paint fog lingering in the air, all I could feel was that uncured paint sticking to the bottom of my shoes and I'm calling the painters name, nothing, no response. Finally I saw a pair of legs sticking out from underneath the cab, the painter was out cold. He had been painting part of the frame with Endura by crawling under the truck...no mask on, he didn't even have the exhaust fans on. I drug him outside and finally got him breathing again. After that episode he had tingling on the left side of his body that never went away. The Doctors told him that he had isocyanate poisoning and that the last experience is when the body finally shut down. He died 5 years later of lung cancer...he always told me that he had built up a tolerance to isocyanates and didn't need to wear a mask and that he drank a Mickey of Whiskey every night, again, to clean out his system.

There seem to be a number of demons out there and I'm sure that many people have their own stories that would be similar to the one I just told...but to any young painter out there, it's serious and today there aren't any excuses for not wearing the proper equipment.

Ray
Old 04-17-2013, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

I had a bigger shop for a few years, and hired and fired a lot of painters. It took three years to get a reliable crew! I always blamed it on the paint fumes. :-)~

I'm 64 and I've always worn a mask. About 8-10 years ago I made myself a blow-through mask using oil-less diaphragm style compressors for my total air source.

At 17 I was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis... but have no sign of any respiratory problems at all today! ...and that is after spray painting for fifty years!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I think a lot depends on the individual and how much tolerance they inherently have. The fact that you've been able to stay in the trade and thrive as a painter speaks to that. I've seen people that walk into a body shop front office, never having been directly exposed to some of the chemicals that are used in the shop and have a negative reaction. They have a hard time breathing, they get dizzy and just start feeling like crap and then there are some people that totally ignore anything to do with safety and not a problem. Sometimes it seems that people get worse and worse off the more they are exposed. I know of a body man today that over 15 years, became allergic to body filler dust. I found that strange but, he can't get anywhere near the dust today or his whole body breaks out in hives.

I've been painting for many years, just like you Jay and I've taken the chance where my thinking was, it's only a small piece, I don't need to wear a mask. I'm sure most painters have done at least that but, as I got older and saw the problems related to doing it constantly, I even wear a mask now when I'm mixing a color in my mixing room. I think we're both fortunate and I won't take a chance anymore, I'm not nearly as invincible as I was when I was younger...LOL

Ray
Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 PM

Last photo:

Good to hear that Jay, it tears my heart when I look at the young guys spraying without them, and I see it every single day. I have grabbed stuff off the net and printed it out leaving it in the bathroom for them to read and mention it all the time. Some have gotten a little better but not many. One old dude just absolutely is pissed if I say anything, so no more and have gotten tired of saying to the young guys too, but like I said it just tears my heart to see it! I always say to them "You WANT to see your grand kids, I guaranty you WANT to see them".

Often when you are young you just don't get stuff like that, when you wake up in 20 years with your body wasted, there is no turning back. There are no do-overs, there is no magic medicine to fix it, that's it, that is all there is to it, over.

Brian
Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

Do you guys think there is enough interest to start a custom painting tricks thread in the paint and body forum?

I've been doing this for other people since the early seventies, so I am well aware that one-color paint is dominant right now.

Still, I imagine some might enjoy discussing some old and some new tricks.

Speak up if you are in favor, and I'll do a few posts myself to help start things up.

?????
Old 04-17-2013, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

Jay, I think it would be very valuable. If they made it a sticky that would really be nice. I know am certainly not going to be using the tips you bring to the table I would love to see how things are done. I know for years I have walked up to cars at shows and just tried to dissect it looking for how was it done. When you stand back and look at this art and see a "photo" if you will it's hard to imagine it being done one step at a time. So I will often try to figure out those steps.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.