Hey TucsonJay, how the heck do you do this custom paint? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Absolutely Jay, I think that would be great, always willing to learn more.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
Do you guys think there is enough interest to start a custom painting tricks thread in the paint and body forum?

I've been doing this for other people since the early seventies, so I am well aware that one-color paint is dominant right now.

Still, I imagine some might enjoy discussing some old and some new tricks.

Speak up if you are in favor, and I'll do a few posts myself to help start things up.

?????

THAT WOULD BE A GREAT THREAD

Jester
Old 04-17-2013, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

Brian, Right now I am "custom painting" some undercoating underneath a '40 Ford truck bed... LOL! ...but I will get to it later. Maybe tonight.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:40 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

???
how would this plastic rap trick look with a candy color..
then buried under x coats of the candy color..

?? 2
what is marblizer.. looks like controlled fish eyes

I am on the fence on adding those stipes on my SS and that looks different enough.. tho I think the inner corners at the bumper end needs different shaping
Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Jay, if I had any custom paint knowledge to share, I'd be on the thread you suggested. Ad it stands, I'll learn from you and whoever else posts in it.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
???
how would this plastic rap trick look with a candy color..
then buried under x coats of the candy color..
?? 2
what is marblizer.. looks like controlled fish eyes
As far as I know,the marblizer comes with the pearl/metallic in it. A little research with HOK, and you might find just the clear base. It is not the same as regular clear paint. I don't know if kandy concentrates would mix with it okay.

Marblizer is a pearl or metallic in a paint base. One difference is that it stays wet longer than normal paints, so you can drop the saran wrap over it, then move the wrap and fluid around until you like the pattern.

After that you lift the saran wrap off and let it dry. If you don't like the pattern you got... you can wash the silver off with a mild solvent, leaving the original base coat ready to try again.

After your pattern is satisfactory, and has enough time to dry, you can shoot regular clears or candies over it. On the sample I posted, it has a green candy fade at the top of the marblized area.

On the one we've been discussing, it has a black base underneath, with a silver marblizer.so the thin spots cause the dark patterns.

Once you have tried it, you will be surprised how easy it is. :-)
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Sometimes it's much easier to just redo both sides,,, Then trying to match what someone else did..
Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Sometimes it's much easier to just redo both sides,,, Then trying to match what someone else did..
This is very true and probably the best way to go. That hadn't hit me. To mask off the stripes, do the whole thing over again would take a lot less time and materials than trying to figure out what this guy did exactly.

Good thinking Randy.

Brian
Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

X2 on that Randy, that way the stripes could be spaced properly and might even look better overall. By the way, where have ya bin lately, I haven't read many posts from you in the last little while, or have I just missed them?

Ray
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
X2 on that Randy, that way the stripes could be spaced properly and might even look better overall. By the way, where have ya bin lately, I haven't read many posts from you in the last little while, or have I just missed them?

Ray
Been real busy lately Mr.Ray...
Not sure where I'm at sometimes..
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

I was just saying it's easier to lay out the two sides and do a marblizer and the plastic rap trick and be done.. They will match and you can give him something he might just like better then he had in the first place.. That way you done, don't spend time and money trying to figure out how it was done.... We ALL know how it was done.... But matching it is a whole different ball game..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (04-17-2013), MARTINSR (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Good call Randy...sometimes the best solution is not to try and fix something that's broken beyond repair, in this case, paint work is no different than metal work, if a quarter panel that needs repair and it's to the point that the insurance company actually steps up and buys you a new one...this is one time that they should step up and buy new SS stripes.

I looked at it like a painter...how can that be matched? ...and given enough time, it, in all probability could...but then you came along and asked the proper question...which was why.

Sometimes the best advice is the easiest...damn thing is though, often it's the hardest to remember...LOL.

Ray

Glad to hear your busy, that's a good thing right?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Good point, it doesn't change a whole lot, if we do it we still need to figure out how. We have a custom painter we work with who will probably end up doing it but this co-worker is such a great gu and he loves doing custom paint, we are slow, I was hoping I could push to have him do it. He has done some outstanding stuff just not this particular thing. He is more of a traditionalist but he has a lot of heart and likes messing with things so I have pushed to do it in house.

Brian
I agree... It would be a good experiance for him...let him do it Brian.. but tell him you want the same design in both stripes ....That should make it a challenge... Anybody can lay out one stripe but doing two exactly the same ....thats where the real talent lays,LOL ....
Old 04-18-2013, 06:43 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
Do you guys think there is enough interest to start a custom painting tricks thread in the paint and body forum?

I've been doing this for other people since the early seventies, so I am well aware that one-color paint is dominant right now.

Still, I imagine some might enjoy discussing some old and some new tricks.

Speak up if you are in favor, and I'll do a few posts myself to help start things up.

?????
I'd like to see that.... mainly to gawk at some nice work,but anything to do with an air brush and I'm lost...I'd love to learn shading for that 3-D look ...
Old 04-18-2013, 07:02 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

If the time is available, then by all means, let him learn. The problem is that the painter is working in a shop and I know if I was managing the shop the decision that I'd have to make would be to get it done, in and out, even if it was slow. The reason being that sometimes learning is trial and error, trial and error cost money in wages (unless the guy is flat rate) and materials...let alone booth time. That's the way management needs to think in order to be successful in our competitive insurance driven market.

A lot of ideas and techniques I use today came from people in the trade that shared how to knowledge with me. Practical hands on experience regarding custom work or painting was done on my own time, my own shop and my own materials. It would be great if there was shop out there that paid painters to gain that experience and there might be the odd one here and there but, for the most part, it's up to the painter to pursue the art side of painting on there own time.

Mike, again, so true about laying out two stripes exactly the same. Especially if there is shading/blending air brush work involved A painter needs to know his materials, equipment and have the experience to make both sides identical.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.