Hey Willys36! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2002, 01:54 PM
Engine Tech Addict

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Hey Willys36!

Your picture shows what looks like a fake 4-hole unit but it's too small to really tell. Did you use a real 4-hole? What's the rest of your setup? Cool ride!

The Vandal

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2002, 02:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

You are very observant! Yes that is a real Hilborn 4-hole scoop. My car is a wannabe blower car so I installed the scoop as a fully functional fresh air scoop (there are 4 holes in the hood). I made a mold and cast a simulated Hilborn 4-hole injector. Have had people tell me it's the best simulated blower they have ever seen. Could be that or the fact that I am 6'3", 275# and they didn't dare say anything else! I run a stock iron 354 4bbl intake manifold that has been polished and powder coated Chrysler orange. Runs an old Holley 3-bbl and I brazed a couple of 1 1/4" pipes in for water transfer 'cause the 331 heads don't have the water outlets in the heads. There are more shots of the car in my photo album. Will load up a couple of engine closeups there soon.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:05 PM
Engine Tech Addict

Wiki Edits: 0

I'm no hemi expert but does "having no water outlets in the heads" make that an industrial engine? About 4 years ago I put the word out that I was looking for an early hemi locally. The only lead I got was an old 331 that was hooked up to a water pump. The guy told me the engine had been frozen up for a long time and I could have it and the pump (the only way he would sell it) for $500. I told him thanks but no thanks. I never saw it but that must have been some pump!

The Vandal
Old 08-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

The 331 engines all had the no water outlet head design from 1951 through 1955. Water outlets were in the manifold like most other makes of engine. Beginning with the 354 and into the 392 they changed the design. The 354 has the same dimensions as the 331 (both 'small blocks') so I used a 354 4bbl manifold since there weren't any or very few, 4bbl manifolds ever made for 331s. All sizes of hemis were used in industrial service and are as good as any passenger car engine. I know of two 354s running a sand dredging operation to this day in Bakersfield!

Incidentally, there are some new photos of the Willys, including a closeup of my wannabe blower scoop on my photo album.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.