Hey Willys36, Tell me about your Hemi. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2002, 04:33 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cool Hey Willys36, Tell me about your Hemi.

Hello.
Hey Hemi Dude. Tell me about how your Hemi runs, what some specs on it is and what can I expect from it? Thanks, HG

Advertisement

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2002, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

Im gonna bug ya till ya tell me.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 07-16-2002, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

Still waiting.

Old 07-16-2002, 07:53 PM
Great '48 Bow Tie

Wink

Hi HemmiGrimmie,
Where the hey is chilli co the ohio. Is that the chilli co of Ohio. Just kidding, I never heard of Chillicothe before. I've been to Ohio several times. How did you ever manage to get that Hemmi into your Gremlin. I had a 76' Gremlin for a short while (3mos.) then it was totaled. I liked it, I called it my toy car. It handled great and was super in getting in and out of traffic.

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Great '48 Bow Tie ]

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Great '48 Bow Tie ]</p>
Old 07-17-2002, 06:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Sorry, missed this post for some reason. I bought my hemi in about 1966 from a HS classmate before I knew anything about hemis, for $25! Actually got the engine before I got my Willys (from another classmate for $75!). It has stock crank, valves, rods, heads & block. Still use the stock aluminum canister oil filter although I remote mounted it on the firewall for room. These engines all have forged rods & cranks, high nickel iron castings, hardened exhaust valve inserts, in short are as good raw material as a factory engine gets. I bought a wrecked Olds for the rear end and Hydro transmission and got my transmission adaptor for a HS graduation present. I bought a J.C. Whitney "3/4 race" cam in the 60s. In about 1970 I bought a Holley 3-bbl carb (going to college and couldn't afford it but I did!). Then I made some aluminum primary bore inserts to make them the size of a Holley 600cfm for streetability. The ultimate spreadbore. I ran a home-made log manifold (before any manufacturer made a commercial one - I designed it in physics class in JC) but it wouldn't run at low rpm (DUH!) so I got a cast iron 354 4bbl manifold, got a Speedway Motors aluminum 4bbl adaptor and bored the manifold to larger bores to fit the carb bores. Then I brazed some 1 1/4" tubes to the manifold for water outlets because the 331 doesn't have the head water outlet ports.

With this combo (too big a carb, too wild a cam, to high a rearend gear) I had trouble keeping the car running with stock ignition. By welding a 1/4" long tab on the end of the distributor shaft of a Chrysler 383 distributor it drops right into a 331/354 hemi (won't work on a 392 - block is too high and the tab would need ot be 3/4" - too weak). To this electronic ignition system I added an MSD5 ignition module and this combo makes my engine purr. In about 1990 I tore my engine down and found a piston pin C-ring had come out the the pin scored the cylinder very badly. I took the engine to Ernie Hashim (an old time drag race machinist) here in B'field who bored it 1/8" over, found some stock 354 pistons, balanced the engine and did a super valve job.

In short these are great engines. Easy to cool, good mileage and run forever. In fact therer is a rock company here in Bakersfield that is still running two industrial 354s on their dredging machines! I honestly expect to get another 50 reliable years out of my engine as a daily driver!
Old 07-17-2002, 06:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You from Ohio? I was just there last month @ Thompson drag strip for a Gasser gathering. Sponsored by Mid America Willys Club, it was for Willys, Anglias, Austins and Henry-Js (a few Fords, Chevys, etc.). Never saw so many nose-high Willys in my life. Was one of the best 3 days of my life. Had a bunch of Gasser legends there - Big John Mazmanian, Ohio George Montgomery, Junior Thompson, Barb Hamilton, Skip Hess, Bones Balough, Chuck Finders, K. S. Pittman and many others.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:44 PM

Last photo:

Talking

Love your car, i was at the 10th Hot Rod Reunion last Oct & that was one of the best times of my life! would love to go again...perhaps soooon.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yes, we are blessed having Famoso in Bakersfield. The Hot Rod Reunion is an awsome event. I go every year. Where else are you likely to see Ed Iskendarian driving around the pits in his original T roadster, etc.? We also have two GoodGuys nostalgia drags (March Meet and last race of the year in the fall) but I am not a real GG fan; they are too much into self promotion. The Hot Rod Reunion is pure celebration of the good old days.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

Talking

Yeah i have to agree & i've never seen so many Willys's lined up in one place, was a shame about that white 40 that went through the guard rail, i filmed it on that run & was watching it earlier....it was a lovely car.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

That's a Gasser - guard rail to guard rail in 7 seconds!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

Wish I would have known you were in Ohio, I would have came N checked out your car. Did you run any times in it? What kind of horspower, tourque are you getting out of it?
Great 48 bowtie. Chillicothe is a crazy name and usually always have to spell it 3 or 4 times when ordering something. Its about 45 miles south of the capitol(Columbus) and was actually the first capital at one time. HG

Old 07-18-2002, 08:56 AM

Last photo:

Also.
I about forgot. I dont have the Hemi in there yet. That will be another task. Im running a mild sbc right now. HG

Old 07-18-2002, 09:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Unfortunately I didn't take my car to Ohio. Just flew in for a quick 4 day stay. Too long to trailer my car and I don't trust it on that long a trip (and my butt goes to sleep within half an hour due to cramped quarters)! The car is only a cartoon of a dragster. I am running 3:23 gears in the rear, engine is fairly stock so I am not set up for hi-po. Also, too many old parts ('36 frame and front suspension, '53 Hemi, '54 Hydro, '56 Olds rear), don't want to break anything! My best estimation is that I am putting out about 350hp. Plenty to shut down ANY rice burner at a stoplight!

You should have gone anyway. There were at least 300 cars, mostly Willys and most nose high nostalgia cars. Also, the Gasser legends aren't getting any younger and the time is soon coming when you won't be able to meet them. During the 1997 Gasser Gathering in St. Louis, we got word that Doug Cook had just died. Luckily I had met him B4 in California.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 07-18-2002, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

Be sure and let me know next time and I'll try to go. It sounds like a blast. HG

Old 07-18-2002, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

Hey Willys.
Is it true that the Hemi can run a little more compression and still use pump gas due to the heads? Also, Is it OK to run the stock rockers or do you need adjustable ones for a mild street engine? Thanks for any help you can give me. HG

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.