HF 97503 Dual MIG Welder $149.99 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 08:57 PM
have a pheasant plucking day

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HF 97503 Dual MIG Welder $149.99

Theses welders are usually $279.99 ( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97503 )
but with this coupon I received, you can get it for $149.99. Not a bad deal Eah!!! its good till 2/2/10.
I think I may have to go and pick one of these up
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HF MIG.pdf (310.6 KB, 190 views)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Twenty two guage sheet metal capacity? And, what's the duty cycle? That's about thirty-thousanths of an inch thick. What are you going to weld with that, broken double edge razor blades?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Exhaust, Filler, and Trailer
Last photo:

22 ga. thru 3/16". So you can do 18 ga. body work with it.

The duty cycle is only 20% at 115 amps, so you won't want to weld much 3/16" with it.

Duty cycle is 100% at 30 amp, so it might make a hobbyist grade body welder.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

garbage.. I managed to unload my HF welder on Ebay for just about 1/2 what I paid for it.. the wire is hot at all times, feeders are inconsistant and just not worth a penny unless all you do is spot weld body panels, which will be hard due to the wire hot at all times.. I bought a welder that is still Chinese, it is a knockoff of the Hobart Handler 140. and the same as the Northern tools Mig 135. all in all it's a pretty decent machine, but it cost just about $350 shipped
Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
garbage..
One mans junk is another mans treasure........or garbage
Quote:
the wire is hot at all times,
Quote:
all you do is spot weld body panels, which will be hard due to the wire hot at all times..
Did you switch the electrodes polarity inside the machine?
You can do that ya know (EP/EN) EP when doing GMAW and EN when doing FCAW
Old 01-08-2010, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

mine was a flux wire. but they all use the same feeders and gun setups.. polarity is only switched for flux or gas welding, so the welder was wired for DC- permenently.. my new machine is easilly switched tho and the HF Mig... I buy a lot of stuff from HF so I'm in no way against them but after buying that paper weight.. I would have to say in this case. one mans junk is another mans junk.... it was only good for spot weld because the feed wasn't consistant enough to maintain a solid arc
there non serviceable also. once somthing happens to the gun or hose, the machine is garbage
Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 PM

Last photo:

So what your saying is the one you speak of as junk, that you owned and used and later sold for half its price is indeed not the one Im talking about thats in this coupon which can be switched between EP/EN correct ? different machine different ballgame.
and they are serviceable threw there parts dept. located within there customer service hot line. But the parts are always on a slow boat from Chinawan so thats a hole other story.
Which unit did you have, the 98871?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

yes, mine was a diffrent model and was flux only. I never said it was the same model.. it was the " Mig 100 "I can't remember the model number. but aside from adding functions and stuff, there all the same basic unit.. I know the deal with getting the parts. I'v had to do it a couple times. and if they have to come over from china you might as well just say the parts are unavailable.. a slow boat doesn't take 8 months but that's how long I'v had to wait for stuff to arrive.. not to mention, only 4 heat settings??.. the machines are just a re- badge of a complete china no name as seen here http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-MIG-WELDER-...item518f87f56d

with the machine I have now, if anything happens to it, gas liners and torch parts are all genuine Tweco so a run to my local TSC or welding supply will get me whatever I need, and northern tools can get internal parts for the welder as it's the same thing without the Northern tools label.. this is the unit I bought, just at a lower price http://cgi.ebay.com/Industrial-flux-...item35a63070e4
with the widely variable heat ranges, I can weld most anything very easilly
I still say, the HF welders are garbage.. when I bought mine, I saw the price tag, but over the 5 years I had it, I used it about 5 hours and watched the dust collect on it most of those 5 years because it was almost completly and totally useless.. there are just some things they sell that arn't worth it

Last edited by matt167; 01-08-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
the wire is hot at all times
Quote:
aside from adding functions and stuff, there all the same basic unit.
Quote:
mine was a flux wire. but they all use the same feeders and gun setups.. polarity is only switched for flux or gas welding, so the welder was wired for DC- permenently.
Just wanted to let ya know that you are WRONG!
I just got this model and hooked it up and what do ya know......... the stinger is only HOT when trigger is pulled. You should never jump to conclusions because you once owned one of there model's and it didnt work for you or maybe you didnt work for it....... anyways its not the paint brushes....its the painter
Oh by the way I was at Lowes today and saw a Lincoln mig welder for about $450 and it had 5 heat settings( ), I think for that one extra setting I will keep my $300.
Cheers
Old 01-22-2010, 04:52 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Since this has evolved into a discussion on the quality of welders, I am moving it to the tools section.

Budget RVs
Old 01-22-2010, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoonshine
I just got this model and hooked it up and what do ya know......... the stinger is only HOT when trigger is pulled. You should never jump to conclusions because you once owned one of there model's and it didnt work for you or maybe you didnt work for it....... anyways its not the paint brushes....its the painter
Oh by the way I was at Lowes today and saw a Lincoln mig welder for about $450 and it had 5 heat settings( ), I think for that one extra setting I will keep my $300.
Cheers
Hate to break it to you but you are getting a heck of a lot more than just one more heat setting for the extra $300. You get what you pay for. I hope the hf welder works well for you.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

"Oh by the way I was at Lowes today and saw a Lincoln mig welder for about $450 and it had 5 heat settings( ), I think for that one extra setting I will keep my $300."
Cheers [/QUOTE]

Comparing a Harbor Freight to a Lincoln welder makes just the kind of customer for Harbor Freight wants, a price shopper.

You probably wouldn't be happy with the Lincoln because you'd assume; you paid too much and assume the HF would be of equal quality and functionability.

And, since you're not going to be welding up street rod chassis' or anything that has to look great the HF is probaobly the right choice for you. Enjoy.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoonshine
they must have changed them, when I bought mine, they were ALL hot on contact.. but I can tell you, if you expect a Harbor Freight welder to be of the same quality as a Lincoln your WRONG.. with the quality welders, your getting for , a quality machine you can rely on, feed mechanisms that will be gaurenteed to work smooth ( my HF was anything but, and most reviews say the same. ), replaceable parts, hoses, ground wires ect... It's not ' all in the user ' with a welder. if a welder has inconsistant amperage/ inconsistant feeding, your NOT going to get a good result, no matter how good of a welder you are ... 90% of my specialty tools are all HF. grinders, chop saw, harmonic balancer puller, ball joint press, leak down tester, all my air tools.. but my welder isn't, and never ever will be unless I come across the rare occasion there selling refurbished Hobart Handler 140's and I have the money.. but for the time being. my Hobart knockoff is doing just fine. still chineese but, still cost around $350, and much, much better than the paperweight HF called a welder

with that, as long as your spot welding, your machine should do ok, but don't try to weld a frame or anything.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

I have to agree with him on the HF "Duel MIG", I have a buddy who has had one for several years and the darn thing works just fine! He bought the MIG and the $199 TIG machines several years ago and we discussed them here then, for the money they seemed to be ok at the time and they are still going. I am NOT saying that either one is even in the same class as a Lincoln or Miller but they can work ok if the user is willing to accept the limitations and do so at a fraction of the cost. If someone is buying one of these things to use everyday or they expect to do more than just body work or maybe lawnmower repair then they will probably be sorely disappointed but for light duty welding on an occasional basis they seem to work ok, at least the two I know of are. That guy has done quite a bit of auto body sheetmetal and built a motorcycle frame with the TIG, he is also a hobby gunsmith and uses the TIG machine for that. The "Duel MIG" was bought to replace a cab corner in his Chevy pickup but it has continued to serve long after that little project was done, less than $400.00 for both a TIG and a MIG and both have done just fine.

These things are NOT heavy duty by any stretch and if someone buys either of them they can only expect very light duty from them but for some people that may be all that is needed.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorulz
Hate to break it to you but you are getting a heck of a lot more than just one more heat setting for the extra $300. You get what you pay for. I hope the hf welder works well for you.
Break these welders down, part by part, and tell me what the differences are.
Diode's, capacitor's, transformer's, rectifiers, potentiometer's, fan, switches.... etc.
Wonder where they all source there parts from

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.