Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   HF Aluminum Floor Jack? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hf-aluminum-floor-jack-198074.html)

mgold 05-07-2011 10:11 PM

HF Aluminum Floor Jack?

Anyone have the HF 1.5 Ton Aluminum Floor Jack #68053? How do you like it? Is it a good floor jack?

It seems like a good jack for money ($70 with coupon). However for doing work on a small suv or van, would it lift high enough? The max height is 14 inches, which seems not enough. Do you think I could I use it for a van or suv?

johnsongrass1 05-07-2011 10:15 PM

14" is pretty anemic. You'll need wood blocks to get a lot of cars which can be pain.

matt167 05-08-2011 12:43 AM

That thing is tiny.. truthfully, I had a few 1.5 and 2 ton jacks. there pretty useless. When I got my HF 3 ton jack w/ a 25" lift ( $69 on sale ), They were completly useless to me and I tossed them all in the scrap pile a while ago. They were the $20-30 Torin made specials..

14" would lift a small car, but any car with anymore than 5-6" of ground clearence from the lowest lifting point. it would not lift high enough... 30lbs of paper weight IMO

ctkid343w 05-08-2011 04:34 AM

HF Jack - Depends on your use

I have the 2 ton. Use it while working on my 34 Ford frame build. Small, light and easy to use. Never thought it would be an all around shop jack. Bought the HF unit to put in my truck behind my standard cab seat but it hasn't made it out of my shop yet. Once the 34 chassis is done it will become my truck jack. Only need it to lift high enough to change a tire.

Have used it to work on my wifes mini van front end with no issues.

A month ago the local UPS delivery van was hung up on a driveway / street with the rear right tire just off the street. Tried to use it but 2 ton wasn't enough. The lift height would have been fine just didn't have the lifting capacity.

You can see my HF jack in some photos on my project journal on this web site. Search ctkid343w and look at the project journal.

Hope the feedback helps.

mgold 05-09-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctkid343w
Have used it to work on my wifes mini van front end with no issues.

I assume that means you did not need to use blocks of wood?

ctkid343w 05-09-2011 05:13 PM

High enough for a SUV or van???

It was high enough for what I needed to do. I had to get under the from end and replace the plastic splash panel that goes from one wheel well, across the front of van to the other wheel well. The jack got the van high enough to get jack stands under the frame which is what I needed.

I guess it depends on what you are going to do and how often you are going to do it.

If you are going to take a transmission out once I would think jacking up the vehicle, putting jack stands under it and if necessary use a 4x4 or larger wood block & jack it up higher and put jack stands under it etc until you have it high enough would work as you are not likely to do this very often.

If you plan on working under the vehicle every night (not sure why you would do that) then you might get tired of jacking, jack stands, jacking with wood, etc over and over.

If you are just doing normal maintenance and repair work on your own vehicle I would go with the HF jack, good quality jack stands and find some solid wood blocks. If you are running a repair shop go with a high lift jack as you will be using it all day every day.

Hope it helps.

elwaupo 09-19-2011 05:10 PM

Harbor Freight

You get what you pay for. I thought it was a great floor jack for the money. Sure it strains under a heavy load and only lifts 14", but what do you expect from a small floor jack. Makes a great portable jack to keep in the truck or as I have done, in my muscle car.

Irelands child 09-19-2011 06:57 PM

That 14" becomes virtually useless for anything more then changing a tire on a small car. Even my HF 3 ton with a 19" lift is often not enough to lift my '31 high enough to work on without blocks or a double lift. As far as lifting the front end of my 1 ton pick up - it will, but that runs out of lift with the tire about 2" off the ground

Deuce 09-19-2011 10:11 PM

MOST Harbor Frieght stuff is kind of low end and trashy IMHO.
But I bought one ... to use with my 32's. They both sit so low that the bumpers hit when you attempt to drive up on the average portable ramp.

http://www.hotrodders.com/journal_ph...2316221552.jpg

I can use the 14" reach HF jack under my front shock mount and lift the 32 high enough to get a small wheel stand under the front ... SO the HF jack is worth the $$$ to me.

Credit where credit is due :thumbup:

I would NEVER had bought the jack but a friend of mine with a 32 ... TOLD ME about how he used his and how well it worked ... so I bought one !

35WINDOW 09-20-2011 07:02 AM

Well, I had just put together the front Sheet metal (for the first time) and let the Jack down on my '35 when i realized that with my normal Jack I couldn't go low enough to get the Jack out (!), so, I first went to Sears to buy a good Jack and there wasn't one :confused: (I wanted to buy American first)-

I went to Harbor Freight and bought the 2 Ton aluminum job-I hate to say it, but it is now the first Jack I grab (and I have three)-I like that it only takes a few pumps to get it where I want it, and being light isn't bad either ;) -

I've owned it for about 3 or 4 Months now, and I keep expecting it to not lift one of these times, but it keeps working (and surprising me).

Now, if I could just say the same thing about their dang Cherry Picker-I used it to unload a 4L80E Transmission and a 502 Block, and now it won't even pick up the Block, so I went and bought a new 8 ton Cylinder :mad:

Just look at me-I'm a real American, aren't I?

Irelands child 09-20-2011 07:22 AM

Ah yes - low. I use a scissors jack to get mine up on 2 pieces of 2x8 then get my 3T HF floor jack out. If I remove the license plate bracket, then I can get the little trolley jack under there and use my always needed 'special' 3" block between the jack and the frame. To me, that little jack is not worth the effort. The rear is no problem as long as I can jack on the diff. housing center.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...DSCN1550-1.jpg

The front wheels in this photo are already on 5/8" plywood

Dave W

35WINDOW 09-20-2011 07:30 AM

Gosh, Dave, your Roadster sure came out beautiful- :thumbup:

Irelands child 09-20-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
Gosh, Dave, your Roadster sure came out beautiful- :thumbup:

Thanks Craig.

(Do you have any photo updates of yours? Been a while)

Dave w

35WINDOW 09-20-2011 08:59 AM

Dave,

Thanks for asking, and I don't want to hi-jack this Thread, but I just cut the Trans Tunnel out of my completed Floor to fit the 4L80E-(it's tight)- :pain:

I did complete the flush-mount Tailights (I will update my Journal with those pictures in a few weeks)-

I am happy to report that the 540 and the 4L80E are bolted in the car right now, though-they will be back out in a few weeks as I am taking all the sheemetal off and bed lining the underside of the Fenders and Running Boards in the next Month or so-then, it's more Interior work-

It's three steps forward and two steps back ya know- :welcome:

327NUT 09-20-2011 11:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I bought both of these at Costco, the brand name is Arcan, don't know who really makes them but I'm sure they are sold elsewhere under a different name. The big one is a 3 1/5 T and has worked perfectly for 5 yrs. The smaller aluminum is a 3T and picks up the rear of my F-250. Got them both on a Costco sale for $99 each.......helluva deal

P.S. Craig, got the Ariens Platinum 30 yesterday, a very quality rig, took me about 45 minutes to assemble, made sure it had oil and fired it up....2 pulls. Now all I need is SNOW!!