HF English Wheel - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 12:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

harbor freight english wheel

c-boy
Any more input on e wheel?Is it functional as shipped?Did you reinforce and how did that work out? Maybe some pics of panels fabricated.
Thanks for info,thinking of purchase,wondering if worth the cost!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

No additional info yet. I'm not to the point on my current project where I can use it...but it won't be too much longer.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

Here's a little update on my HF E-Wheel review.

Thanks to the great tip/link from redsdad I've reinforced the frame and I think it has greatly improved the wheel. Here are a couple shots of the bracing (the unpainted portions are new). The vertical and horizontal pieces are 2x4x1/8" rectangular tubing and the top angle piece is 1x2 rectangular tubing. The vertical and horizontal pieces are bolted to the frameworks with 9" long 3/8" bolts.

The reinforcement has virtually eliminated the "spring" I was getting at the wheel when I would tighten the bottom anvil. The third picture is a cycle fender shape I just did. It was roughed to shape on my new "stump" (see my cboy-two journal here for more on making a stump http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...age=5&reverse= ) and then run through my new HF $129 planishing hammer and then finished off on the English wheel. I'm starting a separate thread to do a planishing hammer review so more details there on that part of the equation.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

A couple additional modifications after using the wheel for a few more days.

I drilled and installed a spring pin (see arrow in first pic) to act as a stop for the quick release lever. Without a stop, the quick release is basically not functional.

Also, the shaft which holds the lower anvil is machined slightly too small for the mounting hole in the frame. When the workpiece is wheeled, the lower anvil will move slightly side to side or rock slightly forward and back. To eliminate this I installed two additional stop bolts by drilling and tapping through the frame support as shown at the top two arrows in the photo below. These bolts are tightened so they contact the shaft but not too tight so they prevent the shaft from moving up and down - which is necessary for the quick release mechanism to work properly. I then tighten the jamb nuts to hold everything in place. I also installed a jamb nut on the original stop bolt which is included with the wheel (see lower arrow in the pic). These mods, although not perfect, have improved the performance of the wheel a great deal. There is a bit of additional information on these alterations in my cboy-two journal here: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...81&action=view

Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

HF english wheel

I bought mine about a month ago and spent 15 min playing with it. I.ve been busy working on the willys but soon I plan to weld all the connections, add extra triangular bracing, a back rib, polish the wheels, radius the edges add flats per metalmeet forums, add a flat to the quick release, then it will work like a real wheel. I was going to build one from scratch but the HF one was cheaper than i could buy the pieces i would need. THe planishing hammer worked ok out of the box. hammers could use polishing. I start a panel Fabrication class at Utah Valley state College. Next monday. Senior citizen discount dropped the tution price from $ 1100 to $105. One of the students there is building an aluminum 40 willys from scratch..he is about 3/4 done.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
Senior citizen discount dropped the tution price from $ 1100 to $105.
Wow, that's a great deal. None of the educational institutions around here even offers a WELDING class, much less a panel fab class...and for about the price of taking the family out for a nice dinner. I'm really envious. I could use a good, hands on teaching environment to give me an idea what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

I don't know if you saw it, but I did a little review of the HF Planishing hammer here $129 HF Planishing Hammer Review I had to make a few minor alterations to mine which you might want to take a look at.

On your E-Wheel, I'd be particularly interested in how you firm up the slip tube which holds the lower anvil and runs up and down in frame support. (See pic in prior entry). My stop bolt fix is working so far but I'm not convinced their isn't a better long term solution. I'd love to be able to "wrap" the column with a very very thin metal sleeve (along the lines of aluminum foil) to eliminate the slop and movement of the head.

Keep us posted as you start using your wheel and hammer more.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:36 AM

Hello all, I have been working metal for soon to be 22 years. I recently purchased the same english wheel. If you will drill a 3/4" hole in the top arm and fill the big C with concrete, let it dry and I tacked a plug over the hole. I assure you the rig is plenty strong. As for the anvil flexing, mine does not. But I welded a small 45 on the inside of the top roller plate. this wheel performs now almost as well as my old big wheel. hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaway2long
Dewey-
I have (2) questions for you about the new wheel.

1.) Lower dies: Are they full radius or do they have a flat in the center?

2.) Did you notice the head swaying back and forth when you had higher wheel pressure. Did it spring much? I tried Gene Winfields, a few years back, and found that his mamoth wheel homebuilt wheel was splined the wrong way, and allows the adjuster to sway back and forth. It really made it much more difficult and time consuming to use when the wheels were out of alignment. Especially prevelant when using the lower dies with the flats. (more effiecient style die)

Glad to see you like your new wheel!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I love my HF wheel I saw instantly it needed to be reinforced and it also gave me the ambition to build my own using the HF wheels and dies. I started with light gauge steel and kept practicing I always wanted one and this was a very affordable way to ruin lots of metal.Now I'm good enough to satisfy my needs ,how can you go wrong for 200.00? The plenishing hammer is a piece of crap though I use it to keep my car from rolling backwards when I put it under the tire,A10.00 wheel chuck would have been a better.deal. Welcome to the wheel world,much fun. Good luck
Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 AM

Hmmmm, thats funny, I have great results out of my planishing hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I love my HF wheel I saw instantly it needed to be reinforced and it also gave me the ambition to build my own using the HF wheels and dies. I started with light gauge steel and kept practicing I always wanted one and this was a very affordable way to ruin lots of metal.Now I'm good enough to satisfy my needs ,how can you go wrong for 200.00? The plenishing hammer is a piece of crap though I use it to keep my car from rolling backwards when I put it under the tire,A10.00 wheel chuck would have been a better.deal. Welcome to the wheel world,much fun. Good luck
Old 03-25-2009, 04:12 PM

You mean air hammer dont you? wait till you use it a second time and the ten dollar hammer falls to pieces,what are you gona do with the 5.00 frame you paid 100.00 for,you'll see. Mabee you can crush beer cans with it ,I dont know.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
You mean air hammer dont you? wait till you use it a second time and the ten dollar hammer falls to pieces,what are you gona do with the 5.00 frame you paid 100.00 for,you'll see. Mabee you can crush beer cans with it ,I dont know.
Well I wont challenge what you say, I have had many hours of reliable service so far. But for what I paid, oh well. I am just using it till I finish the one I am building.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 PM

HF tools

Dont get me wrong dog,I have a box full of HF tools I especially like the air tools you just cant beat them for the price,The only real trouble I've had is with my sand blasting cabinet and the plenishing hammer,after all you get what you pay for ,right? So far I'm way ahead but the hammer did fall apart and we all laughed at the time ,just didnt want anyone getting their hopes up to high compared the all the other expenses at the shop it wasnt that big a deal and when the bodyman put it under my tire and said this thing will last forever i thought i would die laughing that alone was worth 89.00 itself so if your happy with it who am I to say differently?Its all good see ya at HF
Old 03-27-2009, 05:42 AM

back to the wheel though,the little lever that increases tension by raising and lowering the dolly wheel is hard to use and mabee even ,dangerous, you have to take one hand off the piece your working with so I connected a foot lever to the arm and feel much safer with it now.I just used it yesterday and I really love it but be careful it bites,the first time I used it I caught my presious little thumb in the wheel ,something like fingers will not stop the momentum of the wheels and they will also come out the other side flattend took two weeks to heal,I was very luckyand I have a new respect for this tool ,its not a toy,VERY DANGEROUS
Old 03-27-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamadog
Hello all, I have been working metal for soon to be 22 years. I recently purchased the same english wheel. If you will drill a 3/4" hole in the top arm and fill the big C with concrete, let it dry and I tacked a plug over the hole. I assure you the rig is plenty strong. As for the anvil flexing, mine does not. But I welded a small 45 on the inside of the top roller plate. this wheel performs now almost as well as my old big wheel. hope this helps!
Thats a great idea dog I'll fill mine today,I never thought of that,its so simple,VERY GOOD IDEA THANKS
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 PM

The Wheel World

Well,aparently I was wrong about the little arm on that raises the small wheel.It is not a tensioner its a quick release. I found a great vidio on the wheel and I saved it but I cant seem to move it over to here so if anyone wants to see it go to streetfire.net look up deadbodyman,on my profile scroll all the way down to favorite vidios where you'll see the wheel vid just click it and watch,very informative.It makes things much easier when you know how to use it.sorry good luck screwed up again

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.