Hot Rod Forum banner

HF MIG-100 wire feed

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  matt167 
#1 ·
4-5 years ago I bought an HF MIG-100 wire feed ( flux core ) welder, it never fed quite right ( jumpy ) and eventully the feeder stopped working, when the rubber wheels wore a groove... I got a new redesigned feeder under warranty from HF and installed it a couple years ago, never bothered to see if it worked, never put the spool back in, cause I didn't think it would work better than it did.... fastforward to yesterday when I had to weld somthing and I don't have the arc welder anymore ( at our other house ).. so I got the welder out, put the spool in it, and went welding.. and it now feeds really smooth, welds decent too.. I was welding 1/8"x1/4" angle iron, and it did take a bit to get it hot, but it worked..

then I practiced on some sheet metal, and I can't run a bead without burning thru, but I can spot it togther..

#2 ·
matt167 said:
then I practiced on some sheet metal, and I can't run a bead without burning thru, but I can spot it togther..
A lot of people just spot it together. Nothing wrong with it :thumbup: Just make lots of spots and space them out to control the heat til you get it welded, takes a while but less burn through.

What was the re-design on the feeder out of curiosity?

#3 ·
the tensioner on the old 1 used a flat bar with a thumb screw for tensioning, the flat bar ran to the non powered feed wheel, and it didn't tension well.. new tensioner connects the feed wheel with a thumb screw more directly.. works much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.