Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - HF New 20% Off Coupon Restrictions
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
There are inexpensive items that are junk, and there are others that are a bargain.

It makes no sense to spend 4 times as much for a tool I'll likely use once or twice in my life. I guess my point is there is a place for non top end tools, too.

Both points are good reasons for buying (some) HF tools.

A person just needs to use a little common sense when shopping for tools there, for instance the "Earthquake" impact wrenches are not exactly cheap even at sale prices but they are a lot less costly than the "real" Ingersol Rand item, about $89 for the 1/2" vs well over $200 for the IR and the Earthquake is a decent tool with lots of torque and decent reliability. BUT Harbor Freight also has a line of impact wrenches that are dirt cheap, like $9.99 for 1/2", and when someone buys one of those they are much more likely to be disappointed with it. In an everyday shop a $9.99 impact tool is not going to hold up well but people buy these things and when they fail the usual "HF sells nothing but junk" rant starts, realistically just what should they expect from a $10 impact wrench? The $89 however can be money well spent for the home shop and can result in a person getting a bargain on a tool that will likely perform comparably with one that costs nearly three times as much and in a home shop environment should have perfectly acceptable reliability. Those impacts are just one example and there are many others but as I have said repeatably, IMO at least, for a tool that is to be relied on to earn a person's income HF is probably not the place to go even for the bargains but a home shop is a whole 'nother story!