HF New 20% Off Coupon Restrictions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HF New 20% Off Coupon Restrictions

I noticed Harbor Freight has new restrictions on their 20% Off Coupons they print in various magazines. You aren't allowed to use the coupons on Compressors, Generators, Tool Cabinets, Welders, Floor Jacks, and Campbell Hausfield products. Thought people should be aware!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:

December MotoTrend

I did notice in the December MotorTrend the 20% Off Coupon doesn't have the restrictions stated on it. It's valid through 3/9/11, so you could probably still try to use it on those products if you want.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

There have been a lot of changes lately and not for the good either. The story I heard is that the old man who founded HF turned over operations to his son who then promptly squandered the company's assets buying everything from mansions to super expensive paintings and art works then after an argument ensued the son had him thrown out -literally and he was told "not to come back"! They have been embroiled in a bitter legal battle but it looks as if the son is going to remain in charge. Price increases have been the most obvious change and when prices go up what's the point in even shopping there? Other things like eliminating the direct-to-store ordering for large items, which eliminated freight charges, and the as yet unsubstantiated story that they have been contracting for even cheaper goods (this seems to have been the case with a popular grinder I bought recently, much cheaper constructed) all add up to even less reason to go there. HF's success has been due to more than just low prices and if prices continue to increase and services and promotions decrease I think their future could be in doubt, JMO however. At this point it makes little difference to me because in the past I enjoyed going to the store and looking for the bargains but no more, the price increases and that POS grinder with the plastic gear case was it for me I am done with them.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

They won't honor the magazine coupons for the exempted items in this area. Just last week I attempted to buy a 5500 generator as a gift to a relative.. Best I could get was an "open box" discount of $50.00 that they got back when the extra 1 yr.warranty was added..
Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Harbor Freight prints these coupons in many mags. Rider magazine(motorcycles) has the coupons each month from mid 2010.

these coupons have the restrictions on them mentioned like generators, welders, floor jacks, blow out sales, open boxes ect..

The restrictions are interesting , since I bought a floor jack months ago with a 20% coupon from Rider mag

When in doubt read the coupon limits notice
Old 01-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:

I guess too many people were using the coupons on those items. What else are you going to use those 20% off coupons on though?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

I used a coupon to buy a $3999.00 lathe with, it was already on sale at a hefty sale price reduction at $3199. Then using the coupon I had the thing delivered to the store for pick up sales tax and all for about $2700.00, the coupon knocked off over $640.00 from the sale price. The thing is I read on another forum about another guy who had just done the exact same thing and that is what spurred me on to buy the thing, it sounded to good to be true but I did just as he did and sure enough they never even blinked when I gave them the coupon the girl just took off the $640 and gave me my receipt. I since heard from another guy who also bought this same item and had no trouble with getting the coupon honored but I guess it's sales like those that have brought an end to using these coupons on big ticket items. To bad the coupon can no longer be used on compressors since with a 20% (it was 25% during Christmas) off coupon and a sale price, which they often are, the US General two stage compressor they have would have been a real steal!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

It has a lot to do with the person checking you out too... They usually don't follow the rules here..
Old 01-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
It has a lot to do with the person checking you out too... They usually don't follow the rules here..
Are you saying you've been able to use the coupons on some of the banned items?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
There have been a lot of changes lately and not for the good either. Tnd services and promotions decrease I think their future could be in doubt, JMO however. At this point it makes little difference to me because in the past I enjoyed going to the store and looking for the bargains but no more, the price increases and that POS grinder with the plastic gear case was it for me I am done with them.
Let me guess. It was a Drill Master brand.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsautoadvice
Are you saying you've been able to use the coupons on some of the banned items?
No !! I haven't..Never need any of them to try.. But your not suppose to use it on sale items.. But they will, And also when they say limit only 1 item.. You can get as many as you want.. I do know that much.. But as far as what your asking,, No I have not,, But I really think it will fly here..
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
Let me guess. It was a Drill Master brand.

Nope not the "Drill Master" I already know about them but it is the Chicago Electric grinder that has been such a big seller for them for so long. These things have earned quite a reputation for the price and I have several of them, all have been good ones. They were Orange in color for a long time but now they are a dark color although at first glance everything else appears to be the same, however when I took my new out of the box I noticed the lower portion of the gear box (the part that the main shaft bearing sits in) is now made of plastic instead of Aluminum like the older ones! Overall the thing just does not feel right and seems to be lighter by quite a bit more than that piece of plastic should account for, time will tell but I already have serious doubts.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
your not suppose to use it on sale items..

Not quite true, they could be used for sale items but could not be combined with another coupon so sale items that required an E-mail or sales flier coupon would not work, anything that was just "on sale" and did not require a coupon could be bought using the 20% off coupon. They apparently still can be used for some sale items but the exceptions on the coupon do mention they can not be used for "parking lot" sales, "tent sales" and a couple of others but it looks as if they still work with general sale items that do not also require another coupon.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Not quite true,

I can see things are a little different in the store's in Tennessee...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I just bought a welder yesterday&they wouldn't take my 20% off coupon,But I still talked the guy down from 109.99 to 89.99.Im sorry but those guys that they have working there are not too smart.I asked the manager where there fuel line wrenches were&he had to ask one of his employees what they were&that guy then took me to the sockets7handed me a ratchet.I asked another guy if they had 28 degree framing nails &he said...umm I'm not sure do you have a product number?Everybody there cant find squat without a product number.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.