HF Polisher/Sander - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 04:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

HF Polisher/Sander

Anyone on here use this one? Would be using it to buff and polish our car.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92623

Would like the Makita 9227 but if this one does the job then it might be a good alternative.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 08:56 AM

Last journal entry: Phase 1 is complete!
Last photo:

I bought one of these to buff out my new paint job, and thus far has worked pretty well. I'm no pro, but as long as I've used the foam pads, I haven't had any problem burning the paint. I did burn a small section when I used a wool pad, but since then, I've stayed with the foam pads and slow speeds and it is working well. Typical HF quality, but if it lasts the job, I'll be happy. I got mine on sale for $30.

Rob
Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The buffer is not what determines if you burn the paint, it's how it is used. I have seen people do it with Dewalt and Makita buffers too.

I have one of those buffers. If you lived close, I'd give it to you, if I didn't like you, that is. They say that it is "variable speed", which is correct. The speed on mine varies all the time, no matter what the setting is. I know another guy that has the same one, and his does the same thing. Took mine back once for that problem and got it replaced with another one that does the same thing. Then I bought the Makita.

A good buffer makes the job a lot easier.

Aaron
Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 AM

Last journal entry: Phase 1 is complete!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
The buffer is not what determines if you burn the paint, it's how it is used. I have seen people do it with Dewalt and Makita buffers too.
I know the buffer isn't what determines if you burn the paint, but when I have limited dollars and know this is probably the only thing I'll use the tool for, I will many times buy a HF tool, knowing it is "disposable". The difference between $30 and $200 will buy a lot of other things for my car.....And if I don't really have a long term use for it, I think it makes sense.

As far as the variable speed goes, mine has worked pretty well. I'm sure not as well as the Makita or Porter Cable models, but it has done the job as long as I keep it slow and keep it moving. That is probably the most important thing I learned here after reading all the posts on buffing.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

I stripped an entire pickup with one of those. Abused the heck out of it and it's still going strong. In fact, I just bought a new backing pad for it.

I didn't have any problem with the variable speed. The only bad thing I can say is that I burned out one of the brushes. Mine came with 2 extras, though, and it takes all of about a minute to replace one.

I paid $19.95 and figured it would go in the garbage after I finished the job. Now it looks like it might be around for a while...

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart

I have one of those buffers. If you lived close, I'd give it to you, if I didn't like you, that is. They say that it is "variable speed", which is correct. The speed on mine varies all the time, no matter what the setting is. I know another guy that has the same one, and his does the same thing. Took mine back once for that problem and got it replaced with another one that does the same thing. Then I bought the Makita.

A good buffer makes the job a lot easier.

Aaron
I agree, I had one that lasted two paint jobs but the variable speed is not predictable. I guess I got my moneys worth. but it finally burnt out, getting a dewalt now.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

HF electric hand tools are not the best IMO.. after breaking 3 drills on the same job ( was cheap enough to get 3 at the time ).. my grandfather had his sawsall break after a short use... you could go to lowes and buy the base model B&D and it will operate better than the HF for $10-$20 more.. of course, I'm a fan of B&D.. for the price, it's great quality.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

Iíve never used any other cheap buffers so I donít know what that is like, but I do own one of those and Iíve used the dewalt and Makita buffers. The problem with the variable speed is that itís just basically a rheostat type setting, so you set the speed but it will change with load. In contrast, the Makita will maintain the same speed independent of load. The dewalt I donít believe has that kind of management, but it has a lot more power so speed doesnít vary as much with load.

Thatís also where youíre going to run into problems with it, if you can get used to the speed change with load or work around them itís fine, but itís definitely more difficult than one with more power or better speed control. For me this isnít as big a deal with a wool pad as it is with a foam one.

Secondly, I prefer a wool pad for cutting, and this thing works _a lot_ better than a foam pad (it might just be that I havenít tried the right pad, but Iíve liked them on an orbital setup like the PC buffer, I donít like them on an rotary buffer), but I wouldnít recommend using the one that came with it. Mine actually flew apart at a fairly low speed and the rubber backing pad rubbed a groove through the paint on a fiberglass hood. The worst thing about it is that the combination of dark paint on fiberglass and dark rubber backing pad combined and on the first pass it looked like it was burnt compound rather than the pad falling apart and I made a second pass hoping to clean it up and made it worse. The thing was that the hood had a contour that only allowed the backing pad hit in one spot that kind of hid the situation at first

Last edited by Silverback; 09-02-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I have one ($25). I have not tried it as a buffer, but I am stripping my truck with it. So far so good. Will it hold up? Good question.

I am using an 8" ferro backing pad and 8" 80 grit indasa disks on it.

The stuff that comes with it is garbage for sanding. LOL I used all the sanding disks that came with it. Wore me out!

Switched to the good stuff and in 10 minutes the fender was bare (except the small areas).

I have an angle die grinder (air) with 2" roloc (50 grit) disks for the small areas.

When I fry it, I am hoping I can afford a good one.

When you are broke, you get what you can ($25).
Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

For the price it's ok for a variable speed - be forwarned - the handle design is Pizz-Poor and will break by looking at it sideways...getting a new handle won't help...I just made my own.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:44 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I used one to buff my new paint job. It was a little frustrating becuase at times it would stop working. I would have to mess with the screws that hold the brushes in. Some times they would loosen up, some times they just didn't make good contact even when tight.

Oh, and throw the velcro backing pad away in the garbage immediatly. Mine broke right at the stem. Luckily I didn't gouge the paint.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.