HF pressure sandblaster modification - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Last journal entry: '27 roadster quarter panels from scratch
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd048 View Post
Good info on the blaster, can you elaborate a bit on the picture of the in line filter you have pictured. I use two oil-water seperators in my line and am looking for something a little better on removing the moisture when sand blasting or even running an air tool for extended lengths of time as they even start spewing water out their exhaust.
Sure! Got my MotorGuard filter off of Ebay and it came with 2 filter elements. Not sure what the Amazon unit comes with.

Motor Guard M-30 1/4 NPT Submicronic Compressed Air Filter - Amazon.com Motor Guard M-30 1/4 NPT Submicronic Compressed Air Filter - Amazon.com

I heard of a guy that used a roll of toilet paper as a filter element. He said it worked pretty good! I run a water trap 5' off my compressor then run the air hose outside and connect it to my contraption. The air goes through the second water trap (just one I had laying around for years) then enters the MG filter. I run a short hose from the MG filter to a third water trap that's on the blaster so any moisture that may get through the filter gets caught in the third water trap. I've never had to drain the third trap!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 05:57 PM

i own one of these hf blasters too i just changed all ball valves works awsome but would like to compare to yours so thanks for the idea will be replacing rest of parts soon
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Nice thread Evintho, thanks for the how to.

As an FYI: Nickle slag also works great and I reuse it up to 3 times (filtered through an old screen door screen between each use). I blast parts on a tarp in the yard, nickel slag is green, so any that gets out into the yard blends nicely with the grass :-)

http://www.unitedwesterndenver.com/i..._category_id=9

:-)

Last edited by lakeroadster; 07-10-2013 at 07:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lakeroadster For This Useful Post:
Trophyman (07-03-2014)
Old 07-26-2013, 06:47 PM

Last journal entry: Continuing BodModOp... Body Modifiation Operator
Last photo:

Another two cents worth here....

Evintho has a great idea that can be incorporated simply and at little expense.

The concept is to "fluidize the bed". That is to flow a volume of air up through the mass or bed of media to make it more fluid, disperse water and to reduce consolidation so that it flows more consistently to where it is drawn to the nozzle.

If you're in a humid climate the problem is most prevalent as humidity acts as a glue to hold media in lumps in the supply tank resulting in sporadic or interrupted media flow. Light and fluffy is the answer (does that sound like a laundry product commercial?)

Another approach is to use a vibrator......no, not that one. Air or electric vibrators are common in material transfer systems to prevent or lumping or tunneling. Gawd, they're loud.... maybe not the best for small applications like home media blasters.

Je vais prendre Chardonney
Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Interesting, hmmmmm

Brian
Old 07-01-2014, 11:09 AM

Ok I am new here and read your post currently working on building an early bronco, I know not a hot rod but still American and still a on topic. Couple of questions here is Do you need a certain size compressor for this to work well? I currently have a 1.7hp craftsman 33 gal I believe. 2nd ? Does this work well if you wanna media blast an entire vehicle as I will need to blast the entire body and frame soon.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

The bare minimum for blasting purposes would be a 5 hp compressor. Blasters use a ton of air. I have a 5 hp Ingersoll Rand rated at 18 cfm. On your 2nd question, it'd be good on a bare frame but both body and frame would take a really long time and you might not be pleased with the results. Hate to be Dougie Downer but those are just the facts.

I think your best bet would be to send the body and frame out to be professionally stripped.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:12 PM

NP thanks I had kinda already came to the realization that unless I get a bigger compressor I won't be able to blast myself, not sure if I can try to paint or prime it myself with my current compressor. That will be my next ? to find out. Thanks for responding. Trying to decide if I wanna get a bigger compressor or possibly rent one for a weekend.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

If you can swing it, buy a good compressor. You won't regret it! It opens up a whole new world of air tools allowing you to do so much more in less time. A compressor is an investment. It's something you'll always use. I used to have a 20 gal 2.5 hp Champion that I constantly had to wait for it to build up. Very frustrating! My I/R is one of the best automotive investments I've ever made!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:24 AM

Last photo:

how long does it last

using a 90# tank and lets assume the compressor can keep up and u do one continuous blast.. how long will it take to empty the tank of material. and if someone has an idea of the smaller tank too. say the 40# one.. thinking of getting one but don't have a big use for the lg one.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill View Post
using a 90# tank and lets assume the compressor can keep up and u do one continuous blast.. how long will it take to empty the tank of material. and if someone has an idea of the smaller tank too. say the 40# one.. thinking of getting one but don't have a big use for the lg one.
The 40# tank will work you to death trying to keep it filled, Also, the media will clog in it if there is even the slightest bit of moisture.

If you do not have a good compressor and very good air dryer system don't waste your money. If you do a search you will find several threads on this subject as well as a couple on how to modify the little pressure pot to make it flow better.

It is better to have a syphon feed blaster as to have a pressure pot with moist air.

And ye,s I do have one and am speaking from experience.

John
Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post
If you can swing it, buy a good compressor. You won't regret it! It opens up a whole new world of air tools allowing you to do so much more in less time. A compressor is an investment. It's something you'll always use. I used to have a 20 gal 2.5 hp Champion that I constantly had to wait for it to build up. Very frustrating! My I/R is one of the best automotive investments I've ever made!
I completely agree it is an investment all tools are investments in my eyes do you wanna invest in lifetime warranty or cheap stuff. Same difference with compressors. Here are my limitations it needs to be upright not lay down, cielings are 8ft so probably just under 8ft tall and I need to be able to make a 220 dryer plug work to plug it in. Now that my limitations are out of the way.

What should I expect to pay for one?
What size would you recomend I know 5hp is the bottom line I was wondering if I should target a 7hp one?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Here's a pic where you can see my I/R in the corner. I paid $700 for it, out the door but that was in 2006. I think they went up about $300 since then. Mine has the 80 gallon tank.

Probably $1000-$1200 will get you all you need. 5hp is good but 7hp is better! The most important stat you're looking for is CFM (cubic feet of air per minute). Mine puts out a little over 18 cfm. I/R, Quincy and Champion are some good ones but there are others that are even better. I suggest heading on over to The Garage Journal and research air compressors.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the pic and update I figure I can justify the cost of the compressor by doing the media blasting myself and maybe once I have the new compressor I can sell my current one for enough to cover the blasting tank and maybe the air dryer for it. Guess I have plenty of reading to do know. Will post an update later on.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

nice write up.. I wonder if I'll have to do this to my eastwoods.... it wasn't cheap... bought it in 1997 and still haven't used it... will be soon.. as the media source for my colapsable blasting cabinet.. as the small ones are to small and the large ones are big bucks..

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.