Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - HF Sand Blaster
Thread: HF Sand Blaster
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 11:38 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I bought one very similar to that one many years ago and it was a throw away piece of junk. Took no time for the nozzle to become VERY big and was worthless. The nozzle durability is key to any sand blaster and you better know what the replacement availability and cost are before buying any blaster. I have run tons of sand through sand blasters and wore out hundreds of nozzles and know how costly blasting can be if you don't make a wise choice. We have machined nozzles from mild steel and attempted to harden them for longer life. We have machined different grades of stainless and tried them. We have not been able to beat a good quality ceramic nozzle but even those come in a variety of hardness and cost. When you find a good one, one that lasts through several bags of sand, then buy a bunch. They are usually cheaper in quantity and buying a large quantity of know good ones is better than buying ones that you don't really know about their quality.

By the way, for those that are just getting into sand blasting, you need to sort of keep up with how much sand you are sending through your blaster and do routine inspections of the internal plumbing. It is easy to see the nozzle wear, but more difficult to see the wear going on inside and outside plumbing of the unit itself. I have seen elbows wear completely through and blow out with a big mess. Another tip is purchase good quality sand. The cheaper stuff has very poor quality control over the size of the grit, there fore it may have any thing from dust to large grit. Real blasting sand comes in fine, medium and coarse grit, but in bags so labeled. Even then, I screen each tank so I don't have to stop and unplug a nozzle or internal orifice. If I get a lot of over size grit out of a bag, then I return unused bags showing the vendor the poor quality and they replace them after changing suppliers or getting them to change out their screens. Yeah, the suppliers screens wear out too so they only buy fine screens and move them up to screen medium grit and then to large grit.

Trees

Last edited by trees; 04-02-2011 at 11:46 AM.