Hi all - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hi all

Hi guys,
Just registered on the forum after trolling for info. This is a helpful forum!

I'm located in western Canada, just outside of Calgary. A couple of years ago, after not touching an engine since the early 80s, I picked up a 68 Chev C10 with a chopped roof and a mild engine that was last touched 14 years previously.

I thought it would be a good idea to find an old, thrashed 350 to rip apart and rebuild simply to see what, if anything, I remembered about the process. So to make a long story short I'm now the new owner of a collection of parts, including a block that has been rough-bored to 406, with new pistons and rings, a crank, and a mild cam. It will need a few more parts - timing chain, water pump, fuel pump, as well as heads and intake, so I'll likely have a bunch of questions over the next while as this thing starts to come together.

The previous owner suggested heads with a 72-78 cc combustion chamber for slightly lower compression, as well as making sure to get steam holes drilled. I found this forum looking at 406 builds, and everyone seems to be pretty knowledgeable on the topic. 406 is new to me, so any pointers to get me started would be appreciated

Cheers,
Craig

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Welcome aboard Craig, picked the right site for information, unfortunately, I'm not that guy right now, if you need information on paint and body, I'll be happy to help.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
killick (03-26-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the welcome! There is certainly a lot of info on this site. I'm sure the engine build will actually get started this way - it's like a virtual garage full of smart people, none of whom are going to empty my fridge
I'll be doing some P&B on the 68 C10. The paint is ~15 years old now, and the cab corners are bubbling, as well as a couple of spots on the fenders. I also discovered that the original factory colour was a medium red (I'm sure there is a real name for it), and the last coat was a slightly metallic burgundy, so I'm almost wondering if I try the 'faux patina' look just to see how it is. Worst that can happen is it gets a whole new spray, which will likely happen in a couple of years.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 04-02-2013, 04:35 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Your right Craig, there are a number of people on this site that can get you not only information but get you the right information. You seemed to have joined for the same reason I did, to learn. I'm mostly a huge muscle car fan but, I appreciate all vintage vehicles that are either properly restored or have had inovative custom touches done. Here are in my opinion several names of members that can get you that information your looking for...."Techinspector1" and "Vinniek2q", these two guys as well has a whole host of others always seem to be happy to lend a hand on how to information to make sure you get your engine build right.

As far as your C10 goes, my two favorite years of the C10 are 67 and 68. Just love the smaller window on I believe the 67 and the sloop of the front of the hood for both years. Below is a link to a site that has pictures of mu last major build...a 72 C10 with a few custom touches.

Hood Only
087 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Left Front Fender
016 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Right Front Fender
014 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Inner Wheel Well
097 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Engine Bay
085 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
008 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Complete Truck
111 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Complete Truck Driver's Side
109 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Complete Truck Driver's Side
109 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.