Hi all I took your carb advice to heart need to know a little more - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hi all I took your carb advice to heart need to know a little more

I thought by just buying a 600 Edelbrock it would solve my problems WEL as one fine hotrodder pm'd me " throwing money at a problem solves nothing.. you need to learn about a carb before you can understand how to fix it " he says.. SO i bought a dvd about carbs. LOL first 10 min in it says cars / trucks that are heavy require a stronger VS spring.. I was shocked !! My car (83 camaro pro street) weighs 3800 lbs apprx SO Summit sells their stock carbs with the lightest springs meant for 290- 3400 lb cars.. THAT explains my bog when I floor it non the 750/600 4010's I have They went on about jets etc I understand that aspect It annoyed me the carb to engine spec on your calculator to find the right cfm.. It says 350 sbc times X max rpm divided by 3456 tells you the carb on stock to mild engines well it states I need a 570 cfm round off to 600 ! I doubted this at first but then a friend of mine has a camel hump head, 355, 10:1 compression engine etc he has a 650 cs on it and it ROASTS the tires... !! He says dont go by the 650cfm the timing has alot to do with it SO HERE WE GO AGAIN!! more info..ANYWAYZ.. long story short my car is a 83 camaro, roll caged 355 th 400 line lock welded full frame, ford 9" 4:10 gears I just bought a summit 600 VS carb electric choke, I have vortec heads (stock) crane 272 h10 cam 454 454 lift 272 deration (advertised) 2500 stall converter 600 may be a tad small let me know your thoughts,,,,, Im running 12 degrees timing full port vacuum for timing , hei is a stock 1985 camro distributor..... Is this setup decent for a mild engine with my cars weight.. This is all learning to me Im trying my best to grasp this all in Im no pro engine builder and timing and car is %50 of your cars power.. the rest is brute power and sure stupiditiy LOL... Any advice is appreicated If my timing is too much or whatever please tell me you opinion... Thanx for reading! And thanx to all who made me realise money do't get you everything... Ive wasted $2000 on carbs and sensless bs trying to get this car to run good and i learned SQUAT!!! A dvd and a 300 carb taught me more then Ive spent to date That and the email to learn about the carb/timing stop spending money email froma hotrodder I wont give his name out .. cheers

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

just wanted to watch this thread

Hello
Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

welcome . Anxious to see how this turns out .
Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

How the hell did you ever get a sbc 83 camaro to weight 3800lbs?

What is the rear tire diameter? tall 32"+ tires need a lot of gear.
(4.88:1 ish)

The idea is to make it ligher than stock, not heavier.
Mine weighs 3530 lbs with my fat *** in it. Why does yours weigh more than this. You got too much stuff in it.

Any of the $2000 worth of carbs can be tuned in to work good.

What other carbs do you got from the $2000 you spent?

Which carb do you got Summit or edelbrock? which is it.

The edelbrock carb will need some tuning to dial it in.
requires a tuning kit and a few other parts.
Start by reading the tuning instuctions in the owners book.

Throttle responce = correct idle timing and timing curve and accelerator pump tuning( shooter sizes and linkage arm adjustment.

max power = correct max advance and correct primary and sec jetting.
If you havethe 600 with electric choke it will need some rejetting.

Plan on recurving the distributor.
Start by establishing true 0 TDC on the balancer timing tab using a piston stop to find true TDC. Get a balancer timing tape and a timing light.

Mild cam:
14-18deg base idle timing 34-36deg of max mechanical advance. Peaking around 3000rpm)

10-12deg of vacuum advance at hiway cruise speed. (not all i at idle)

carb jetting: edelbrock 600 .100" pri jet .070x .047 rod .098" sec jet
.031" shooter inner linkage hole. orange or pink step springs.

The cam and converter and gear is wimpy for a Pro Street car.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:08 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Iron heads, 9" diff and housing, full cage, TH400, "welded full frame", w/driver and a cell full of fuel = 3800 lbs.

Use manifold vacuum to supply the vac. advance, and limit the vac. advance to around 10-12. If you don't have an adjustable vac. adv., use Crane #99619-1 Vacuum Timing Limiter Plate.

Vortec heads do not need much timing. 34 maximum in most cases. Bring in all the timing by 3000 rpm, 2500 rpm is better- if you can w/o detonation.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:13 AM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

I am going ancient technology and using a high grade mower cable to control the distributor timing in my beast, screw it. Actually works great. I cant afford another computer related thing. Model "A" style for me. Timing on the instument panel. I need to just go manual tranny and just use the old automatic tranny gear selector to change my timing. muha
Old 09-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

Man, I wish I could listen to your car run, I could tell in a few minutes of driving it if it wasn't getting enough fuel or had too much timing. But I am a noob to spending money so... Ok, Both are bad so I guess start too rich and set the timing with the strobe light (if the balancer marks are still accurate) to a very conservative level. Did the kit come with a plethora of springs and jets? I know I had to tune my edelbrock carby on my elcamino a little bit to coax the best power and gas mileage out of her. I could roast the tires with that 350 but el camino is a light car. You might wanna get a o2 sensor bung welded in one side of your exhaust pipe as close as you can to the engine, then get a o2 sensor and a cheapie narrow band gauge from autozone, but if you actually have money unlike me get the wide band setup. You can tell in every area of the rpm range what the fuel mix is. Tuning is hard, it is a matter of "feel" especially if you do not have a cockpit full of gauges such as head temp and exhaust gas temp. Too bad we can not adjust the fuel mix and the timing on the fly using those gauges like an airplane! Wide band o2 sensor gauges are new tech, if I could, I would use them. I do adjust my timing on the fly like an airplane with a cable tho. I also have an old crappy quadrajet that works pretty darn good.

If it is too lean you will see the head temps read high, if the ignition timing is set too retard, you will see exhaust gas temps read high. You gotta be the computer, and chicks dig that.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:48 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

What the hell is this thread about? A too heavy, fully caged RACE car with a mild 350 in it that's slow with a 600 cfm carb on it or somebody wanting to use a lawn mower throttle cable so he can dink around with his timing while driving? What the hell am I missing here. Is it April 1st?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:11 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Iron heads, 9" diff and housing, full cage, TH400, "welded full frame", w/driver and a cell full of fuel = 3800 lbs.

Use manifold vacuum to supply the vac. advance, and limit the vac. advance to around 10-12. If you don't have an adjustable vac. adv., use Crane #99619-1 Vacuum Timing Limiter Plate.

Vortec heads do not need much timing. 34 maximum in most cases. Bring in all the timing by 3000 rpm, 2500 rpm is better- if you can w/o detonation.
Quote:
Im running 12 degrees timing full port vacuum for timing , hei is a stock 1985 camro distributor..... Is this setup decent for a mild engine with my cars weight...
Are you using an MSD box or what- a stock distributor would be feedback-type.

This deal sounds to me like it was bought minus the engine- as a roller, and this engine is being used until/instead of a "good" engine- possibly to sort things out before doing up a proper mill?

I believe the "apprx" the OP added to the "3800 lbs" says a lot. Weigh this thing at the track or where ever- you'll likely find that you're lighter.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
What the hell is this thread about? A too heavy, fully caged RACE car with a mild 350 in it that's slow with a 600 cfm carb on it or somebody wanting to use a lawn mower throttle cable so he can dink around with his timing while driving? What the hell am I missing here. Is it April 1st?
Its all about having a cool car to attract a mate... duh...
Old 09-04-2010, 05:05 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Well, I have had a "mate" for 30 years and I roll in a '69 Camaro SS..still can't figure this thread out. LOL
Old 09-04-2010, 05:21 PM
More for Less Racer

You will never get it right with a stock, 85 Camaro distributor, if that is what you actually have. That distributor has no weights, springs, or advance mechanism and is 'locked", meant to be controlled by the computer.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I know, Right?
Old 09-04-2010, 09:46 PM

Does the correct answer kill the thread? Not likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
You will never get it right with a stock, 85 Camaro distributor, if that is what you actually have. That distributor has no weights, springs, or advance mechanism and is 'locked", meant to be controlled by the computer.
Badda Boom......The thread killer

But then again with Cool Rockin's theory it could go on and on and on
Old 09-04-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Well, I have had a "mate" for 30 years and I roll in a '69 Camaro SS..still can't figure this thread out. LOL
I assume you have a theory.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.