Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Hi Build Primers VS 2 part epoxies? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hi-build-primers-vs-2-part-epoxies-65545.html)

Gearhead forever 07-09-2005 03:35 PM

Hi Build Primers VS 2 part epoxies?

Paint newb guy here again. I'd like to prime an area at a time as I finish (mechanically stripping and sandblasting to bare metal) This project is extremely slow moving and I am forced to work on it in sections. Due to the time involved, I don't want to leave the bare metal uncoated and also help covering sanding marks and some smaller rust pits if possible. I'm planning on using AE (?) bc/cc on top.

Any recommendations fro the pros?

PS what is 2K primer? (is that just a trade name like kleenex?)

67goat 07-09-2005 03:40 PM

Epoxy Is What You Want To Start With, Then The 2k Primer , It Is A 2 Component Urethane Primer, Also Called Hi Build Or 2k Primer, Some High Build Has Capabilities Of Filling 80 Grit Scratches Easy, I Have Even Used Some Over 40 Grit Scratches Test Patterns, Three To Foar Coats Let Dry Overnight Guide Coat And Start Blocking, Hope This Helps.mike.

baddbob 07-09-2005 05:39 PM

Definately use an epoxy over the bare metal, sand the metal well with 80 grit to make some nice scratches for the epoxy to adhere to. Clean the metal well before you apply the epoxy. The epoxy will provide the foundation for a quality job.

kenseth17 07-09-2005 07:43 PM

I simple way of explaining a 2k primer or sealer is that it is one that cures chemically by adding a hardener, activator, catalyst. Whatever they happen to call it. It does noy rely on air to cure like a primer that doesn't have an activator that comes with it, A good example being lacquer primers. Thats why you also can get lacquer primer in spray bombs, but a 2k you cannot, it would harden up in the can in a matter of hours if the 2 parts were mixed. The 2 part primers have a pot life, and if you leave them in a spray gun without cleaning it the gun would be pretty much trash if it sat too long. But in the old days when lacquer primer was mainly used at a few shops I worked at they would leave the lacquer primer in the gun overnight and use it the next day. And if the lacquer primer did dry up a little shooting some lacquer thinner through the gun would usually take care of it.
I third the advice, shoot epoxy primer on baremetal and then shoot 2k urethane primer for fill. You only need 1 or 2 coats of epoxy primer.

Gearhead forever 07-09-2005 10:03 PM

Thanks guys....much appreciated.

Gearhead forever 07-09-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenseth17
shoot epoxy primer on baremetal and then shoot 2k urethane primer for fill. You only need 1 or 2 coats of epoxy primer.

Do you mean apply any required filler (bondo or spot putty) on top of the 2K primer? I'm assuming you never use filler on bare metal....

kenseth17 07-09-2005 10:58 PM

filler on top of epoxy primer or ground baremetal. Not sure about the urethane primer. I was taught to apply filler over ground baremetal, but it is also acceptable to apply it over epoxy primer and many shops I worked in did it that way. The only fillers I apply over urethane primer are the finishing putties that can be applied over paint. I am not sure if it is recommended to apply filler over urethane primer. Many people apply epoxy to baremetal, scuff epoxy and apply there bodyfiller, and when they got it straight, apply more epoxy primer and then urethane filler primer over that.