Hi Fella"s Been reading for hours! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Fella"s Been reading for hours!

I am trying for a simple understand of bore and stroke. I would like to know what happens if i use 6" rods in an other wise stok 35o engine? Can it be done? Will it clear? Please tell me why tis is or is not a good idea. Thank you in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

The rods need to match the pistons and the crank. With a longer rod the wrist pin needs to be higher in the piston. If the stroke remains the same the longer rod could theoretically be used with the correct pistons. Cylinder clearance at the bottom of the cylinder and piston compression hight are the things that need to be considered when changing the rotating assembly parts.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Scroll down and read Tech Tip 2005 from Iskenderian. Maybe it will answer some of your questions.....
http://www.iskycams.com/techtips.php
Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Scroll down and read Tech Tip 2005 from Iskenderian. Maybe it will answer some of your questions.....
http://www.iskycams.com/techtips.php
That is a good explanation of why it is probably not worth the time to change rod length..

Sam
Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 AM

Putting longer rods and short compression hieght pistons in your otherwise stock 350 will be disappointing, I assure you. Can it be done? Yes. But, if you are building an engine for maximum HP at wide open throttle, your money will be much wiser spent on head porting, a good cam, and a freeflowing exhaust. However, almost all the information you will find on long rods is based on the longer rods ability to increase, or not increase maximum HP. You'll find it much harder to find any studies showing part throttle volumetric efficiency comparisons of rod length change. Unless your vehicle is used for drag racing exclusively, almost all of your driving is done at part throttle, and low to mid range RPM's. If you are building a moderate street engine with well matched parts, you will find long rods to have benefits like increased cruising fuel economy and engine longevity. Piston pin location and skirt lengths should be taken into consideration as you may gain nothing by using short pistons with very little compression hieght and close rings. Making the switch to longer rods is made easier if you are going to be destroking your engine, as the extra length will allow you to use stock, or close to stock pistons. Long rods should be at the bottom of any list of things to be done to an engine, but should be given some consideration, if you have room.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:39 AM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

sliderinwa

Thanks fella's I am building a engine for towing. Based on a 350 block out of a 1988 Chev pick up. But it will be going into a 1 ton dually (!979) I have a roller cam (complete)out of a 1999 Marine 5.7 ltr. I can not find spec's on it. I will be converting the engine over to TPI for the increase in toqure and throttle responce as well as increase in fuel mph. I had just read about long rod vs short rod for building toqure. Being a little confused i asked on here. It is so cool to be back up on the site after being away. Please advise me on what your idea's are on the toqure motor i am after.
Thanks a bunch
Old 02-19-2008, 07:49 AM

That's a pretty heavy truck. How much weight are you going to be towing? What is your budget for this build? Big torque is much cheaper with more cubic inches. Are you sure a 350 will be enough?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Sliderinwa

It should work. Depends on gearing ofcourse. These trucks came with 292's and 305's in them Tought to beleive it. I have a granny 4 speed and will be searching for a "splitter" to act as an overdrive on the top end. The build is a simple basic job 30 over, balanced rotationg assenbly, I have a roller set up for it. I have to figure out what cam to run. (COMPUTER CAM FOR TPI) The heads are going to remain stock for the TPI to work with. So i would imagine the cam will be close to stock. Up grade the springs. The TPI unit is a maf system so it will handle some mods well with out reworking the computer. Equal length headers, HEI,forced "cold"air box. Thinking about trying a remote oil filter/engine oil cooler. Don't know for sure. 4 core raditor and electric fans.
You see most of this i have on hand. Any how i allway enjoy "civil " input. I like to learn. Even at 57 years young! May you have a joyfull day! Have some fun today!
Slider
Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think you are one on the right track to just freshen that engine..On the Trans my choice would be a t400 with a gear vendors OD unit if the budget runs to it..Much nicer to drive and that combo will help with the mileage when running lite or empty..

That 350 should be fine in that truck..

Sam

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.