Hi, My hobby is Tires & Wheels - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Have Any Of You Tried Doing Tires Yourselves
Yes, I Have Tried, But It Didn't Work 0 0%
Wanted To, But Couldn't Find Good Materials 0 0%
Never Had Enough Tires To Play With The Idea 0 0%
My Wife Would Have Placed In Theraphy 2 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 06:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

This thread doesn't belong in the introduction forum any longer. Moving to the General Rodding Tech forum.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Welcome to HOTRODDERS.com

If you go to the Site & Suggestions on the main outline in the bulletin board you will find a sticky{ a permanent thread} on how to down size you pixs.

I share you opinions on tires & wheels ,though not a fancy as yours But I do get more compliments on the wheels than the whole truck

Its not a tuner thou.

What do you think?

Let me know if you want some help with the photos.

R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 623 (Small).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	25931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 625 (Small).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	25932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 612 (Small).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	25934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 899 (Small).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	25935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 622 (Small).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	25936  

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 12-01-2007, 06:45 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Honestly, my opinion, that is the last thing I would like to see on a car at a show. It just looks like something you would see at a show full of Hondas and stuff.

Jason
Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hi Marty, welcome to the site. Interesting post, I've read somewhere that the majority of people looking at cars are drawn to the wheels first visually, I am one of them. You make some good points here, got me to thinking outside of the box a bit. I am into the black look, but with the right type of tire it could expand on that look for a wheel-tire combination. Nice looking Cobra also, wheels and tires draw out the look of the car. Not my cup of tea, but I can respect what you've done with some nice looking American iron. Thanks for sharing. Dan
Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Interesting take on dressing up tires. Probably would appeal more to the "Tuner" crowd than any other segment of the hobby.
or crotch rocket crowd... personally on 2 wheels I prefer to keep the sticky side down and ride safe, even if my bike is a 2007 ninja 650 (sitting on it is kinda upright, no laying on the fuel tank here ).

As for us hotrodders, I think fryin' em off at burnout contests are more of our specialty.

Still those are some really neat pics. A car is a canvas, and the enthusiast is the artist. That's how I feel. Some artists do dark and eerie stuff (like the guy who cut his ear off), others go simple and minimalistic, and others like the original canvas (think resto crowd) and yet others are totally insane like salavador dali with the, um, I forgot what its called but everything is out of place and they're sweet to look at. So on and so forth. Welcome
Old 12-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Hi Marty, welcome to the site. Interesting post, I've read somewhere that the majority of people looking at cars are drawn to the wheels first visually, I am one of them. You make some good points here, got me to thinking outside of the box a bit. I am into the black look, but with the right type of tire it could expand on that look for a wheel-tire combination. Nice looking Cobra also, wheels and tires draw out the look of the car. Not my cup of tea, but I can respect what you've done with some nice looking American iron. Thanks for sharing. Dan
1. It's true about the rims are the first thing noticed for me too. Rims- it's style and proportion. Do they look right on the car?
2. black chrome is sweet!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

What are you guys using for painting in the raised letters on the tire sidewall? I have a set of tires with black letters that might look nice in colored in.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

41 Wills, very nice & thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41willys
Honestly, my opinion, that is the last thing I would like to see on a car at a show. It just looks like something you would see at a show full of Hondas and stuff.

Jason
Some say the Willys won WWWII and its come a long ways to be what the Jeep looks like today with Renegade and Image of an Eagle on the hood, things change. My tire look is radical, no doubt and your opinion is appreciated. The right colors on the right vehicle do make a difference, just difficult to show it the way I'm presenting it, I guess. To me, a Black, Jeep with hot, red or yellow or white tire coloring on the images/logos would be hot. So far, no one has laughed or snickered at me during a car show, they do ask serious questions and I like that. Its just a choice and I do respect your thoughts, I need to try harder.

Thank You
Old 12-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
There's a car in the first pic????

In a while, Chet
Really, I especially like the one on the right! I'm much more of a modder than a polisher, show guy. But it's interesting, just not for me. It wouldn't help me anyway. I've had a Vette for almost five years and it hasn't got me any "action" yet! But I'm just a fugly old 50-something going on 18.....
Old 12-01-2007, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Dinger & Black Is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
1. It's true about the rims are the first thing noticed for me too. Rims- it's style and proportion. Do they look right on the car?
2. black chrome is sweet!
The Cobra has done well at car shows. Of Course, this isn't really, just about car shows and yes, it is way out-side the box for one reason, no one has made it work. A black GT-500 for example, is beautiful as is. Now, envision that same car and same wheels and tires, but the tire lettering and logo enhanced in Hot-Iron-Red, that would just give the car another life life...,for me anyway. The Mystic's tires have different colored tires and wheels for this reason. I have done one side of the Cobra in Hot Iron Red, both tires. The public says, man, that's cool, can you do it in Yellow or Green or... Then I say, come over to the driver's side, WOW, Green and Yellow tires. In real-time, the tires and wheels are not criticized, they generate tons of, can you do this..., types of questions. I think that Black Chrome wheels are absolutely gorgeous and I would'nt touch them. I would do something to the tires though and it would be classy/cool.

The two types of wheels are used to give the viewer an idea of how colors can effect any wheel design. The mediums I use are not, Off The Shelf and I've tried it all to the point I know how to mix what to what and how much. Much of the success comes from as always, doing the proper preparation and the right ingredients and its not a cheap, slap & go process. One tire takes me about three days, times 4 = 12 days to do a set of tires depending on the mold design. Part of my masking process requires the use of jeweler's tools.

The color has to be flexible, non-chip, non-fade with UV barriers, non-toxic, non-corrosive to rubber, repel carbon black and withstand summer and winter temps. However, curb it and its gone, it is what it is, a cosmetic, but its tough. I have a new tire almost done, its a Miichelin 245/45Z-R417, 95W Pilot Exalto PE2 & cost $252.08 per tire. So, this is not a game with me, I do quality work with quality materials on quality products and this is not an advertisement for any tire company, I have no relationship Michelin (My CYA entry for the site, I'm not a seller, folks.)

I have until this year, just been doing tires and wheels for myself. After numerous compliments and requests, I decided to test what I was doing at car shows that were judged events. Actually, I went to three shows, two of which were judged and at both of those, the Cobra took Best In Class and one was a Best In Class of the Top three categories. No, it wasn't just the Cobra herself, it was also her tires and wheels, a simple fact.

So, this coming year will be very interesting for me, I have potential sponsorships from two local tire retailers and a group out of Missouri that sells tire dressings so, who knows? At least its fun and I don't want to commercialize it unless, there is real backing.

This is probably, more information than you wanted, but I appreciate your open attitude and thought you would find this interesting.

Of course, all the words in the world are not going to make these pictures look any better than they are, it takes some imagination and I thank you for yours.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

I Like Your Humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious
Really, I especially like the one on the right! I'm much more of a modder than a polisher, show guy. But it's interesting, just not for me. It wouldn't help me anyway. I've had a Vette for almost five years and it hasn't got me any "action" yet! But I'm just a fugly old 50-something going on 18.....
That is funny, I'm sure your humor gets you into all the trouble you want? Oh, the one on the right, that is Ms. T, she is the owner of Queens Of Detail," and her group enjoys going to the shows and its good for her business as you can imagine. Its all about life and friends, we may as well enjoy it while we can.

Thank you.
P.S.
Anyone over 30 is going on 18.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

Interesting & Intelligent Observations, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
or crotch rocket crowd... personally on 2 wheels I prefer to keep the sticky side down and ride safe, even if my bike is a 2007 ninja 650 (sitting on it is kinda upright, no laying on the fuel tank here ).

As for us hotrodders, I think fryin' em off at burnout contests are more of our specialty.

Still those are some really neat pics. A car is a canvas, and the enthusiast is the artist. That's how I feel. Some artists do dark and eerie stuff (like the guy who cut his ear off), others go simple and minimalistic, and others like the original canvas (think resto crowd) and yet others are totally insane like salavador dali with the, um, I forgot what its called but everything is out of place and they're sweet to look at. So on and so forth. Welcome
Isn't the 2007 Ninja 650 the only model that came out with a safety belt and a complimentary copy of the Gideon bible? Actually, I think I belong in the Symbolist group of 1880, at least, that is where I feel most comfortable.

You are correct, this is and has been an up-hill march, but I'm up to the task and intend to get there dead or alive and with all body parts, Ha,Ha.

Thank You
Old 12-01-2007, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

Rob, This Is Nice Work !

[QUOTE=Rob Keller] Welcome to HOTRODDERS.com

If you go to the Site & Suggestions on the main outline in the bulletin board you will find a sticky{ a permanent thread} on how to down size you pixs.

I share you opinions on tires & wheels ,though not a fancy as yours But I do get more compliments on the wheels than the whole truck

Its not a tuner thou.

What do you think?

Let me know if you want some help with the photos.

Rob, I have the photo sizing thing under control and thanks for the offer. I like what you are doing and yes, people will notice the wheel over the Truck and or, sometimes the tire. This is funny and I'm sure you know it to be true: You can work your butt off doing the tires and people will come up and ask you where you bought the wheels!

Thing is, subconsciously, it was the tire that got their attention and brought them to the wheel. I have people ask me...,Where did you buy those wheels and they are actually, speaking about the tires!

Glad to see there is someone else out there that can see the opportunities available to enhancing the common tire. I like the white letter trim and the blue internal color. If, you can get a brighter color, well, I'll save that for later, I have get going, but can give you ideas later if, interested. Its a pain to have to pull the tires/wheels to do them, but I see you've learned what it takes to do it right, work. You don't have to be fancy to get a great tire on your truck, just the right colors, bright colors, the kind that reach out and gently grab people by the throat and make them wish they had your tires!

Thank You,
Let's speak about this again.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.