Hidden antenna - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hidden antenna

I've got one of GM's miracle windshield antennas (sp) in the '72, that of course is broken. I went through the archives and there was mention of sort of a hidden antenna that I could probably put in the cowl area.

Anyone have further info on these things and how they work(ed)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2005, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

I have seen antennas which mount inside the car between the rearview mirror and the roof, glued to the windshield. I have no idea how good they work but generally an antenna which is hidden under sheet metal, and this would be the case in the cowl area I think, will be shielded too much IMO.

I have also heard once that a rear window heating, if present, could somehow be used to receive radio. Don't know if that's true.

Regards
Martin
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis
I have also heard once that a rear window heating, if present, could somehow be used to receive radio. Don't know if that's true.
That is the way it is on my mom's 2000 Impala. I don't know if is exactly the same material, but there is a few extra lines at the top that is used for the antenna.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Retractable Antenna

Doc here,

How about a Retractable Antenna? You can get one for about $69.00 and it will mount just about anywhere you need it..

Those hidden antennas are at best marginal (unless you live in a city with a lot of transmitters close by..) They will selectively fad as you drive down the road..you won't be happy with one..(like rabbit ears where cable once was..)

Doc
Old 08-22-2005, 06:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

How about getting a cheap antenne, using the connector and bolt it to the frame, get an RF supressor from raido shack and your whole car is an antenne.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Antennas

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
How about getting a cheap antenne, using the connector and bolt it to the frame, get an RF supressor from raido shack and your whole car is an antenne.

Doc here,

Matt, that would be a great idea except for a few drawbacks..

If you put the antenna input line on ground, you effectively ground the RF amp inside the radio..(blocking received signals) The antenna will be on the same electrical level as the radio ground ...

Think about it for a second, and were that the case..antenna systems would not be necessary at all...just piggy~back it through ground..

An RF signal is no more than a spark with intelligence running loose in the air..looking for a pole to attach to that Isn't ground..Receive or Transmit.

Also, antennas are gauged in impedance..usually 50 or 75 ohms..(load on the RF amp into the radio, so it can MATCH the input of the RF amp and deliver the maxi mun signal to the radio.)

They Also Deal in gain (DB's)..on an output (like a transmitter) For every 3 Db of gain the antenna has your transmitter output effectively DOUBLES..If you have 50 watts out on a 3 Db antenna..Your radiated power is 100 watts..On the receive side similar math applies except you are dealing in "S" units..

The Gain of an antenna is purely dependent upon its construction..Size, material constructed from, type of construction .. and much more...You could take our 3 db antenna from above and redesign it for 6 db and now its 200 watts ERP. (effective radiated Power)

Everything you never wanted to know about antennas..

Doc
Old 08-22-2005, 07:51 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Geez, Doc are you into Radio fundamentals as well??

Rich
kd0zv
Old 08-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Naw..Not much..

Doc here,

Naw .. not much..

Been building ENG's (News Vans) and Mobile Television Production Units (Mobile Trailers) For about the last 15 years or so.. whenever it was I retired from the Airlines..I started this part time (about 3 a year) bus up..

So yeah .. I guess I have a little bit of experience here..

Doc
Old 08-22-2005, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

re:hidden antenna/tune trapper

I just purchased a hidden antenna called tune trapper-$29.95 ppd. I spoke with the dealer, he sounded knowledgeable about the subject. 727-439-0764 if you're interested. I tried one with the power amp- didn't work in my 55. Bill
Old 08-22-2005, 09:06 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
Doc here,

Naw .. not much..

Been building ENG's (News Vans) and Mobile Television Production Units (Mobile Trailers) For about the last 15 years or so.. whenever it was I retired from the Airlines..I started this part time (about 3 a year) bus up..

So yeah .. I guess I have a little bit of experience here..

Doc
Sounds interesting. Always played with electronics in one form or another. Advanced class amateur radio license for the past 20 years. Used to do a lot of antenna work until my safety belt came unhooked and I took a dive off a 70' tower. Nowadays stick to indoor radio stuff AND musclecars of course !

Rich
Old 08-23-2005, 06:09 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I removed the antenna from my '56 and put it under the dash. Made a bracket and bolted it to the top of the heater box and ran the antenna crosswise between the top of dash and heater. It probably wasn't necessary but I also ran a 12ga. ground wire from the bracket to the firewall.
Of course there was a ton of open space on those cars so you may not be able to do the same but it may be worth checking into. If you have the room just buy a GM style replacement antenna and bolt it in. I didn't notice any loss of reception with my installation.
Mark
Old 08-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Antennas

Doc here,

Antennas are also "Polarized" in the vertical and horizontal, and both..

The Industry standard for Broadcast and commercial is usually, Directional, Vertical and/or both..

Meaning if you lay an vertical polarized antenna over to the horizontal plane.. you will loose about 11 Db of reception / ERP power from it...

Horizontal Polarized Antennas Also receive More Static, as static is nothing more than sparks let lose to fly through the air horizontally..in other words.. you will pick up 100 % more static in the Horizontal than you will in the vertical ... simply because the Broadcast signal is forced into the vertical through Magnet and Eddy Currents to a "Zone" Where less noise lives...

To try it yourself..

Get a portable TV and find a VHF/UHF TV station that comes in fairly well on an antenna but is a fair distance away and not running mega watt outputs....(yeah, I know .. Antenna for TV? what's that?)

Then turn that antenna from Vertical to horizontal..your Picture should go from good to Really poor (or non existent) with static in the Video and audio, and if a picture is present it may roll sideways Like a scrambled HBO signal due to loss of sync from the VITS (Vert. Interval Test Signal..or the NTSC signal that latches the vertical and Video to the receiver scan system....) And an abysmal audio signal..(unless the station is polarized in BOTH planes ..and some are..)

Same, and moreso applies to radio..you want that antenna vertical (or matched to the transmitting station polarization) and want it unobstructed and high as possible .. unless you live in a small town, the station has mega power and is on the bowling alley roof down the street..

Doc
Old 08-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Nitrous Junkie

Last journal entry: Reflooring The Bed Pt. 2
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmccabe
Geez, Doc are you into Radio fundamentals as well??

Rich
kd0zv
LOl,, that's almost the same thing I was thinking,,,

Phil
ac5iz

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.