hidden nitrous - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 10:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

hidden nitrous

im trying to figure out the best way to hide nitrous on my big block...got a couple of races lined up for the spring that i wanna be ready for

the under the manifold system is out of the question...too much money

for plate systems i've seen people use factory style carb heat shields to cover up the plate and solinoid, but my buddy who im gonna race knows allllll about that

whats the best way to hide a nitrous system? especially with an older car (69 cutlass) also where can i hide a 10 pound bottle? hes obviously going to check the trunk....i was thinking maybe hiding it in the back seat?

any suggestions would be great

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2006, 10:34 PM
When all else fails burn it

Last journal entry: more hiding stuff
Last photo:

Well you can put the bottle inside of a gymbag or something. Thats an old trick but it might work. um false florr maybe?? um for under the hood. Just make up a BS story about how it is a carb restricter plate like they use in NASCAR. Cuz like your motor made too much power and you didn't want to twist your frame so you put a restricter on. If nothing else your friend will get a laugh at your lame excuse. SO Yea I geuss I didn't help much but..
Old 02-01-2006, 10:52 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

People have hidden the solenoids and the like inside the air cleaner.... I've never done it but I know it's been done before.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Perfectionist Procrastinator

Last journal entry: Moving along
Last photo:

I've seen it in the air cleaner as well; factory piece complete with snorkel. Further, you can slide the braided steel nitrous lines through some rubber hose to hide them, too.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Hiden Nitrous System

There are all sorts of ways to hide items. Depending on how much HP you need to add, and how hard your competitors are going to look will dictate what you're going to spend to do it. We've run lines through transmissions into the back of the block, or even through the motor plates. It's all a matter of what you need.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I always liked the hollow battery method ala Wayne County.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineczar

"Battery" way too easy to spot
Old 02-02-2006, 08:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The following is just personal opinion but think of it as a friendly warning as well.

Hiding NOS is tantamount to cheating. What's the pride in beating someone and not being honest about it. That's the trademark of a looser. If you can't race straight up with all your cards on the table why bother. Besides when the other guy finds out your running hidden NOS, and he eventually will not only will the word get out that your a cheater, but it's very likely you may have a few teeth rearranged in the process.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineczar
ROFLMAO

that car always used to track right down the "line" didn't it
Old 02-02-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
The following is just personal opinion but think of it as a friendly warning as well.

Hiding NOS is tantamount to cheating. What's the pride in beating someone and not being honest about it. That's the trademark of a looser. If you can't race straight up with all your cards on the table why bother. Besides when the other guy finds out your running hidden NOS, and he eventually will not only will the word get out that your a cheater, but it's very likely you may have a few teeth rearranged in the process.
nah no teeth being re-arranged here, im sure hes looking for new ways to hide his system too

anyway i plan on using a 150 shot...i think im going to use a carb heat shield to mount the solinoids, and paint it the same as the engine. the i can take a carb spacer...drill and tap it and run fake lines to it

with a 150 shot how many runs could i get out of....say a 5 pound bottle?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:53 AM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul....asp&x=38&y=12

Part number NOS-05090NOS
Old 02-02-2006, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

At 150 HP depending on when you activate it, you'll probably get about 3 good 1/4 mile passes.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

You are not really hiding anything with your plan. If the guy knows anything about hot rods he will spot the solenoids and lines. The only way to REALLY hide it is under the manifold, bringing the lines through the block and tranny, with the bottle under the back seat cushion.

What you are doing may fool a rookie, but not someone that has any car/race experience. I too question why you need to "hide" anything. Did you both agree not to use nitrous or a power adder? If not you are wasting your time trying to hide it.

I'm a little confused on the "need" to hide it. Just tell him he can't look under the hood, plumb your purge into your exhaust and call it good.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline

Point well taken Centerline and I respect that view.
My honest opinion is that in the world of racing it goes on at any level that there are technical rules to follow. It doesn't matter if it's a local circle track or a professional drag racer. My own philosophy on cheating is that it's not worth the risk to my reputation to do it. Because of that I've lost track Championships to known cheaters as well as customers who wanted me to go too far beyond what I felt was fair. Like most of the guys I know that build racing engines I spend countless hours looking for ways to interpret the rules in a way that I can find an advantage. People can take that statement anyway one pleases but in 25 years of building racing engines I've never had an engine bounced for any reason. I welcome the tech guys when they come around and it bothers me when I go to a track that has shoddy or almost non-existent engine teching. I don't have an issue with some creative bending of the rules. Blatantly breaking them is another thing entirely.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:18 PM
T buckets rule

I had a car with nitrous. I had the bottle hid in the right rear quarter panel. I just left the solenoids and plate in plain view. Inside the car between the seats I had a a set of brackets and a 2 foot piece of hose that run under the carpet. Just told the tech inspector the car was set up for n20 but the bottle was at home. They fell for it every week.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.