hidden side trunk hinges - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 06:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

hidden side trunk hinges

I have been trying to make a set of hinges to side mount on the inside of a 36 chevy sedan with no luck every time the the trunk hits the side of the opening before opening any ideas I know this can be done I have seen it on other 36 chevys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36rod
I have been trying to make a set of hinges to side mount on the inside of a 36 chevy sedan with no luck every time the the trunk hits the side of the opening before opening any ideas I know this can be done I have seen it on other 36 chevys
I hope I'm thinking right but yes it can be done and it is a double hinged type of hinge - - been a long time since I've seen one but I'm gonna see if I can find a link or a typical - - - L8tr, wr
Old 06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I made a set for my '36 Pontiac 4-dr sedan. A little tricky but you can do it. This photo shows my hinge. Make it of really stout stuff, 2" x 3/8" isn't too big. Lots of stress on this so needs to be strong. I formed the arms you see and welded each end to a heavy duty gate hinge I got from Home Depot that had nylon hinge inserts. I then welded the other end of the hinges to a piece of angle iron with the hinge pins aligned. Finally I bolted the angle iron to the body with 3/8" flat head machine screws with the heads counter sunk in the drip trough. The door end of the hinges were welded to flat 3/8" plates I bolted to the door. One @ an existing pad for the top opening trunk and one near the middle of the door to a pad I welded to the door matching the other one. The pads need to be along the straightest portion of the door so that makes them pretty close together. Don't take the top one up the curve or you will have big interference troubles. Bolt the 3/8" square pads to the door and put the door in the opening securing it w/ duct tape. Crawl inside the trunk from the passenger compartment and weld the hinge arms to the pad. Probably will need to heat and bend the arms several times before they contact the pads well. This will give you a perfect fit for the hinges.

The key to minimize interference with the body is to snuggle the hinge line axis as closely to the crease formed by the body and trunk opening as you can. Any deviation form that location will exacerbate interference problems. I also had to flatten the flange on one of the sides, I think it was the door to clear. No big deal, doesn't show from the outside and the rubber weatherstrip goes on fine.

I used the scissor lid strap from the vertical hood, just made new mounting points for the horizontal.

Also if the Chevy tail light pods are like the Pontiac, '56 Chevy tail light lenses fit perfectly. Notice mine in the picture. Finish off the bullet shape just right.

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 06-06-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Bingo, no need for me to think anymore - - LOL

Nice work BTW
Old 06-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Great response! I'm going to move this to General Rodding Tech so more members can see it.

Dan

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 AM

I want to thank you for the info on the trunk hinge. I have a 35 Chevy Master and I wanted to do that with the trunk. I'm going to try your design. Any further info would be a help. Thanks Again
dan1320@netzero.com

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.