Hiding an automatic shifter in plain sight - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hiding an automatic shifter in plain sight

Ok guys; a little hotrodder knowledge is requested. One of my local guys who is getting up there in age and he recently fell and busted his hip. Sadly, its time for his T10 to leave the party. His friends (myself included) would like to get something together for him so when hes ready, he can drive the car. Hes really down about this. We have a T350, a T700r4, a factory 79 camaro cable op shifter for the T350 and a whole lotta manpower and pocket change to help the old man get back at it and not worry about his baby.
Its a 2.64 T10 with 3.55s in the back (I think), no console in a 65 nova.
He'd prefer not to put a console in it. We looked at a Unimatic shifter; but theres no reverse lockout functionality, and Im not sure Id manually shift it "briskly". I suppose he could go lokar, but that looks more street rod than hot rod.
Ideally It'd be robust and positive enough to manually shift it, but look like a Hurst comp plus

Anyone ever hide an automatic shifter in plain sight? I'd probably mount the clutch pedal solid so he has a place to rest his foot.

Thoughts?

PS I googled it and have never seen so many "how-to's" on removing shiftknobs before. sad.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

My idea would be to take the shaft and knob from the old shifter and put it on the new shifter and then use a boot If you get my drift. Some of the shifters for autos use a gated system for the lockout. You may use the Lokar this way..I checked the B&M and it is a gated shifter so that may be an option for you..

Sam

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 08-09-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

B&M makes a detent shifter . i used it here with a 200r4. we used the 4 speed console because it looks better than auto and we have 66 nova buckets. besides it's beautiful console.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter 1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	76513  
Old 08-09-2013, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

dont know if anyone remembers but back a few years ago , a guy by the name of GARY BUCKLES ( if i remember right ) had a 70-73 Blue camaro , very custom for the time and was in all the magazines.
he had a automatic shifter that was hidded just under the dash on the right side of the steering column...IT WAS HIDDEN COMPLETELY and VERY COOL.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Take a look at paddle shifters. Once you get an automatic in place, you can add one of those under the steering wheel. If he still wants 'the look' of a floor shift, you can probably make up a bracket and leave the original shifter in place. You would need an after market steering wheel adapter most likely, but then innovation IS part of the fun of hotrodding.

Street Auto

Dave W
Old 08-10-2013, 05:43 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

X2 on the paddle shifter to solve the problem. I have recently had the opportunity to research one for a project I'm doing. I was bit intimidated at first but, now that I look at it, they are mostly plug and play. You will most likely need to change the steering wheel but, the one I'm installing came with adapter, electronics and everything needed for it to hook up to an automatic.

They are becoming more common place but would suite your needs perfectly.

Ray
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Last photo:

The Lokar shifter is not suited to fast shifting at all.

Vince
Old 08-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post
The Lokar shifter is not suited to fast shifting at all.

Vince
X2!! I did a track oil down 100% due to that type of shifter! There is NOTHING to keep a 2-3 shift from becoming 2-N shift!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Take a look at paddle shifters. Once you get an automatic in place, you can add one of those under the steering wheel. If he still wants 'the look' of a floor shift, you can probably make up a bracket and leave the original shifter in place. You would need an after market steering wheel adapter most likely, but then innovation IS part of the fun of hotrodding.

Street Auto

Dave W
Those are really sweet. The only downside is the price. 2K for a shifter? Yikes!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 AM

Last photo:

You could use this:Quicksilver | B&M Racing and Performance Products and delete the console and use the large boot since it mounts to the trans hump the stick is plenty long and you can always leave the clutch pedal just to "fool 'em"

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.