Hot Rod Forum banner

High Cfm Electric Fans. (zirgo???)

30K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  41willys 
#1 ·
I am having to change to higher cooling fan CFM's. I currently have twin 12"s that are only about 2,000 CFM's, and I am looking at 3,000 CFM fans. I found some great deals on fans from AutoLoc Zirgo. I am not familiar with them, but at the same time, I do not have the funds to drop on a $300 to $400 on a single fan. I know Summit sells them and quite a few other big name places.

So, if anybody has any information on these, please post it.

Jason

#2 ·
41willys said:
I am having to change to higher cooling fan CFM's. I currently have twin 12"s that are only about 2,000 CFM's, and I am looking at 3,000 CFM fans. I found some great deals on fans from AutoLoc Zirgo. I am not familiar with them, but at the same time, I do not have the funds to drop on a $300 to $400 on a single fan. I know Summit sells them and quite a few other big name places.

So, if anybody has any information on these, please post it.

Jason

I'm not sure about them,But I had good luck with the flex-a-lite.Well Jason my dream came true.I bought a Dennis Taylor 41 willy's Body,Just the body.I will be building my own frame.Will pick it up in NOV.Can't wait. :thumbup:

#3 ·
I've got the Zirgo 2750 cfm (supposedly) fan, the car isn't on the street yet but I've hooked up the fan and it DOES suck some air through the radiator. I say "supposedly" because I've heard a few negative things about the cfm rating on elec. fans.... how you check the cfm rating is beyond me.

A couple guy's I know only buy Spal but again they are expensive so I guess it's just buyer beware. I'll give this one a shot till it craps out. Zirgo also lists a 3900 cfm fan, can't imagine how loud it must be but whichever one you get make sure it has the "S" curved blades, they just work better. You can find them on ebay also for a pretty good price, just punch in "Zirgo fan".

#6 ·
New Interiors, welcome to the Willys clan. (also known as the poor house) Hope you like peanutbutter sandwiches and skim milk as that will be about all you will be able to afford after the Willys construction gets started. I just got my motor new motor running last week end.

I have a Spal 16 inch fan that seems to be ok...after I hooked it up to run the right direction. I hold about 195-200 deg. I have it wired so it is automatic...comes on at 185 and shuts off or resets at about 165. It seems tto run all the time though once the motor is warmed up. This is the curved blade fan. I also use the fan gasket. this worked out pretty nice and really sealed up the side of the fan.

#7 ·
I had a zergo in my wifes 67 mustang stock 289 and on the way home one day I herd a crashing sound and all the baldes flew off. Can't just by the blades alone. junked it. I have dual spal 11" fans in my 50 F1 with a 63 327 and aluminum radiator and cools wonderfull. spal I do recommend. Ed

#8 ·
I researched this topic extensively about 2 years a go and found that the Ford Tarus and Lincoln Mark8 fans were the 2 that had been the strongest and most reliable over the years.

The stock Mark 8 fans are dual speed, flow over 4000 CFM, require a high amp alternator, and are complete with a built in shroud that has plenty of material for modification.

#9 ·
Ford dual fans

Both the Taurus and MK VIII Fans will outcool almost anything aftermarket,and finding them under $100 won't be a problem.But you will need at least a 130 amp alternator,one of the vendors on ebay sells the fans and includes a relay conversion kit with the fan,DO NOT run these fans without at least a 40 AMP relay.

#11 ·
I do not own a Willys ... but I do like them. As a steel car only type of rodder ... I cannot afford a real steel Willys coupe :embarrass BUT I never understood all the fascination with the electric fan ;) on any type of rod.

I always use a belt driven mechanical fan and have NO problems with overheating. I have a friend with a steel 37 Willys coupe ( 40 nose ) and he has a 480 plus BBC in his and he runs a belt driven mechanical fan also. NO problems ... and we live in the Hot, Humid South :)

I run a belt driven fan on my 32 3W coupe also. Proper timing and jetting is required ... but usually dial those in anyway :thumbup:

#12 ·
The only problem with running a mechanical fan on a willy's is alot of times, the fan is usually to high over the radiator.The radiator in a willys is to low.Not trying to say you are wrong Deuce.But that's what I have seen with a lot of the willy's today. :) I like the electric fan because it is turning 3000cfm's are what ever size you have all the time,Even when idling. :)

#13 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:
The only problem with running a mechanical fan on a willy's is alot of times, the fan is usually to high over the radiator.The radiator in a willys is to low.Not trying to say you are wrong Deuce.But that's what I have seen with a lot of the willy's today.
I did not take it as you meant I was wrong. :)
Besides ... we are building rods ... not restoring cars so there is no real right or wrong as long as the vehicle and the modifications are SAFE :D

I do not know when the first electric fans came on American production vehicles ... but the first one I actually saw was a mid 70's Monza with a small V8. A lot of 37 - 41 Willys were raced and rodded with BIG V8's long before the mid 1970's ( with NO ELECTRIC FAN ) . My friends 37 Willys has a copper radiator and a 6 blade belt driven fan. He is making close to 650 Horsepower ... and drives the Willys wherever and whenever he wants without fear of overheating. It did take a little pre planning and work
A lot of rodders fail to do this and just buy a electric fan :mad:

Electric fans do have a place and are needed on most front wheel drive vehicles, especially the ones with the engine turned sideways.

Just my biased opinion :thumbup:

Deuce

#15 ·
I have decided to go with the Zirgo, besides it is from AutoLoc, so I guess it can't be too bad. It is rated for 3000 CFM, and and "S" blade style.

I have dual 12's, but they are just not going to cut it, it seems.

I may be jumping the gun, I had a huge air pocket in the cooling system, I guess it finally burped after driving it for longer than 10 minutes. I drove it for about 20 minutes, it sat for about 6 hours, then drove it back home. It got real hot on the way back. I let it cool, and it took another half gallon of fluid.

I am still going to run a single 16", for safe keeping I guess.

New Interiors, congratulations on the body. Dennis Taylor's are very nice. Not sure why they went out of business though, they have such a great reputation.

True about the $$$ as Bentwings stated I still can't figure out why it seems to cost more, when they are not really any different than another street rod build. All cars require the same thing, but man I blew through some money real quick.

By the way, I took a first place trophy home, and it is still in primer. I am hoping for paint this winter, and have finally decided on the color, don't think I am crazy, candy purple. It will be flamed, but not sure as in other colors, or as fantom flames.

Jason

#17 ·

Chevrolet has had a problem with getting ALL THE AIR out of some of the later model vehicles with the radiators that are mounted low ( like your Willys ) ... and they came out with a purge valve GM part # 10070107

It works real good. I use one on my builds ... seen in the photo below ...
It helps eliminate air pockets.

#18 ·
41willys said:
I have decided to go with the Zirgo, besides it is from AutoLoc, so I guess it can't be too bad. It is rated for 3000 CFM, and and "S" blade style.

Jason
Sorry I didnt see this thread yesterday...

I had a Zirgo 3000 CFM - curved blade - I had installed it on my '39 Ford -Standard. On our first trip with it the fan bearing seized just outside of Gallup NM. I had purchased it from RB's and they would not take it back nor would the manufacturer. I replaced it with a 2700 Spal and have not had any further problems.

A good friend of mine recently bought a '48 Plymouth bubble butt coupe that had a 3000 Zirgo in it. On his third trip the bearing failed on the Zirgo as well. He swapped it for a Spal as well and has not had any further issues.

I cant say that I could recommend a Zirgo to anyone. :nono:

#19 ·
Conrad_AZ said:

I had a Zirgo 3000 CFM - curved blade - I had installed it on my '39 Ford -Standard. On our first trip with it the fan bearing seized just outside of Gallup NM. I had purchased it from RB's and they would not take it back nor would the manufacturer. I replaced it with a 2700 Spal and have not had any further problems.

A good friend of mine recently bought a '48 Plymouth bubble butt coupe that had a 3000 Zirgo in it. On his third trip the bearing failed on the Zirgo as well. He swapped it for a Spal as well and has not had any further issues.

That is great to know. Thanks for the response. I do not need that kind of trouble...

Jason

#20 ·
Conrad_AZ said:

This isn't the first post about RB's not standing behind what they sell,probably why they are no longer in business the place is now deserted and empty :D 'Ya reap what Ya sow.! :rolleyes:

#21 ·
JeffB said:
Both the Taurus and MK VIII Fans will outcool almost anything aftermarket,and finding them under $100 won't be a problem.But you will need at least a 130 amp alternator,one of the vendors on ebay sells the fans and includes a relay conversion kit with the fan,DO NOT run these fans without at least a 40 AMP relay.
Jeff, do you happen to know the amp draw on these fans??

#22 ·
I can get the Ford fans, NO, not a Ford fan, the cooling fans. Sorry, couldn't help my self with that one.

I too ask what is the amperage draw on these? They are too thick for my set up, can they be reversed as a pusher?

I guess I could always ask my line technician.

Jason

#23 ·
Amp draw

406 bug said:
Jeff, do you happen to know the amp draw on these fans??
When they engage about 35-37 amps,which is why you need the relay to reduce the initial shock load.For a real good explanation of relays Google: Watsons Streetworks, there is a very EZ to understand article on relays,their quality and prices are real good also,I purchased relays from them as I have electric fan and fuel pump I also installed the HD relay they offer to take the load off the ignition switch due to the additional accessories I added. :thumbup:

#24 ·
I hook mine on a relay also,But I hook it to come on when the key is on.So it run's all the time.Never had one problem doing it this way.I do it this way on all my car's....But it's all about the way you want your car set up. :thumbup:

#25 ·
JeffB said:
When they engage about 35-37 amps,which is why you need the relay to reduce the initial shock load.For a real good explanation of relays Google: Watsons Streetworks, there is a very EZ to understand article on relays,their quality and prices are real good also,I purchased relays from them as I have electric fan and fuel pump I also installed the HD relay they offer to take the load off the ignition switch due to the additional accessories I added. :thumbup:
Wow, that is way too much. I would definitely have to get a high amp alternator.

Jason

#26 ·
41willys said:
Wow, that is way too much. I would definitely have to get a high amp alternator.

Jason
I would recommend you check out db electrical's website for alternators prices are GREAT! also mini-starters too.Folks there are real nice to deal with,give them a call if you have questions or want advice :thumbup: I have gotten some great feedback from people that bought from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.