high comp. 383 stroker, any ideas? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2004, 11:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Talking high comp. 383 stroker, any ideas?

Hi.

I have a 1982 Impala that use to be an unmarked cop car. It use to be my dads, but he sold it a few years ago and i just traded my caprice for it. it has a 330 hp 350 intercepter engine in it with cast iron 2.02 heads, posi rear end with 4 10 gears, the whole police suspension and handleing package. It has a very durable TH400 trans and dual exhaust with a set of competion headers that i just put on.

The plan is to bore it 4.030 and then im getting a 4340 400sb crank to make it a 383 as most of you know. A camshaft that runs from 3500-7000rpm with a adv. int of 305 deg (very rough idle). msd 6a ignition kit, stall conv 3500rpm, some H 4340 connecting rods, pro magnum roller rockers, ross dome top pistons with a 58cc comb. camb. that packs a 14.6:1 compression ratio. then im going to top it off with a edelbrock tunnel ram powered by 2 edelbrock 600 cfm carbs. Note: Yes, i know i will have to use something like Turbo Blue in lue of pump gas.

what i want to know is, is there anything that im going to have to do that i don't know ot, that is some pretty high compression. also about how much hp am i looking at, i was thinking somewhere around the 600 range....?

Please lend me any advice
thanks, Brent

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2004, 11:31 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

you plan to street drive this?
Old 07-18-2004, 01:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I'm with DV. There is no way you'll ever drive that thing on the street. Don't worry about using turbo blue, you'll be able to buy the race gas when you tow this thing to the strip.

K
Old 07-18-2004, 09:44 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

in 82 the interceptors came with motors making about 245 horsepower and had heads with 1.94/1.50 valves. You're getting ahead of yourself and your plans are going way overboard on what you would be happy with or even be able to handle for that matter. Consider all factors, even after the motor is done the rear won't last long, and the trans might not either thats going to cost alot $$$. You should consider something much more mild, which in comparison with the motor you listed will still be a pretty hot motor.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:35 AM

The car is kinda heavy for what you're planning but it's been done before. You're vague on what heads you're going to use but you'll really need aftermarket heads to get anywhere with this combo. Save yourself a bunch of money and go with something like a super victor intake with an 750-850 carb with 4 corner idle. Consider an annular discharge carb if you go with the 850.
A built turbo 400 will take it but if you have a stock 400 it won't work at all. Even if you put the shifter in loww a stock 400 will up shift at around 4000 depending on which governor weight and springs ar installed. A built turbo 350 would be more efficient. When you put enough tire on this car to hold back the power that you're trying to make a 4.10 rear gear will not be enough. something like 5.38 to 5.86 depending on tire size would be in order.
Picking a by adv duration from the abbreviated listing in summit or jegs is about like picking up the phone and saying send me a big cam. Pick the cam grinder of your choice and get there full catalog or call and talk with in detail about your combo. Be realistic with them. They've heard it all and BS'ing them won't get you anywhere. They have thousands of grinds available rather than the few dozen listed in the more common catalogs. It might cost you $50-$75 dollars more but you'll be getting the best cam for your application.
If you're truely going to run the compression that high you might as well go alcohol because this isn't going to worth a damn as a street car. Get a rule book from NHRA/IHRA or from the track you'll be running at if it's an independant so that you won't have to build this car twice. Give them a call if you hit a spot that you're not clear on. It will save you big time.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:33 AM

thanks for replying,

i am well aware that the car is a heavy car, something like 4200 lbs. when you are running low on funds, you can't afford to go out and spend money on something lighter. its too hard and it costs too much money where i live. the motor is not stock, my dad did some work to it when he got it. it DOES have 2.02 heads because i pulled them off myself and checked, otherwise i would looking at buying heads first, instead of a crank or even pistons. No, i don't plan on driving this on the street. i want something radical that i can take out evry once in while and flex, maybe even to the track once or twice a year. i use to have a 78 camaro with a 350 that had about 425 hp, so im pretty sure i know what i can handle, it use to scare me sometimes, so i know the power im looking at. im not planning on burning this thing around my town every day running at ridiculous speeds, i just want to build something powerful. the body of the camaro was all bond-o-ed up and falling apart so i sold it off piece by piece which i sort of regret now. i figured the trans might need an upgrade or two, i was thinking about a 4 speed manual. thanks for the advice on the rear end, thats one place that im alittle unsure.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:37 AM

Last journal entry: 50 chev p/u project
Last photo:

Make sure you check emissions laws over there... Here anything '75 & newer has to pass emissions. Summit has cool 383 packages too.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:43 AM

another question.

with that much comp. about how fast is it going to burn something like turbo blue. i THINK it is something like 103 octane.

thanks just another car guy, im not too worried about keeping it "legal". i know the guy who inspects my car and i won't be driving it around too much. and if i would end up getting a ticket over it, oh well it was worth it.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:50 AM

Last journal entry: 50 chev p/u project
Last photo:

no idea about the high octane, sounds like a fun ride though.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.