high flow water pump - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 10:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

high flow water pump

I am changing out my water pump on a ford 302 engine; this is for street use. I see "high flow" pumps advertised. I ordered a stock w/pump from NAPA and the impeller is 3-7/8" in diameter. On a high flow w/pump that I was interested in, the impeller is 3-1/2" in diameter.
1- is the impeller the main determinant of higher volume flow or
2- does the design and materials (billet, etc.) make more difference?

I would think that since the pulley (and hence rpm) is the same for all units, that the larger impeller is the most important consideration for street (stop and go) driving and that in a race situation, a smaller impeller would be more appropriate for high revs.

Can someone please educate me so I know what to look for?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Jugger, you've made me realize that I know little or nothing about high-flow water pumps even after being in this hobby for over 50 years.

I will share with you what makes sense to me. Filling the pump cavity with as much impeller as is possible makes sense. Making sure the impeller is a tight fit on the driveshaft makes sense. Using a solid sheet metal backing plate on the impeller to prevent water from circulating inside the pump cavity makes sense. Possibly increasing the drive ratio off the crank makes sense.
I figured out one time that the pump is driven at about 1.2 to 1.3 times crank speed on OEM applications. Maybe a guy could try 1.4 and see what happens.
Color me fairly clueless.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:44 AM

My buddy put one on his Burb well when seeing the better flow I said let me get one as well because one I have underdrive pulleys and this stop & go traffic here in Houston sure can get to ones engine now I have had them on my truck for a while and im super happy with them.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

High Flow Water Pump

Thanks for the comments. I guess a common sense approach may be the answer although one would think that the angle of the vanes on the impeller could be at issue besides size, however, none of the pumps that I see advertised amplify on design and I have nothing to compare my stock pump to, so I guess I have to take the word of the advertisers coupled with common sense. Taking that one step further, I would surmise that increasing the turning ratio might prematurely burn out the bearings if it turned too fast all the time (in traffic) and like a marine propeller, could cause cavitation or other unintended consequences.

I know there are experts out there who can shed some light on this issue and would appreciate their insight.

Mahalo.

David

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.